SO SAABs are dull boring GM blobs eh!

Do you like the concept SAAB

• YES Hubba Hubba

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • NO get it off my screen

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
profile.jpg

front.jpg

Do you guys like it?

Last edited:
When they build it I will like Saabs :)

nice, but agree with BTB - lets seem them build it first...(same arguement for any manufacturers concept cars, its easy to design a really nice looking car, practically building it and for a budget is a different matter!!!)

And for the record I think some Saabs are pretty good - my father had a 9-3 Talladega which was pretty quick and i've heard the later models with the Aero (?) package shift well.
:)

Do the designers all go to the same school? apart from the window wrap it looks like the same shape. do you think?

Attachments

• new-jag-concept-2.jpg
    new-jag-concept-2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 105
Not sure what to vote.

It is pretty cool I suppose but does have a teeny bit of an American look to it. Not quite sure. If they make it rear wheel drive then OK very cool.

996jimbo said:
It is pretty cool I suppose but does have a teeny bit of an American look to it. Not quite sure. If they make it rear wheel drive then OK very cool.

That's not going to happen is it? Which vauxhall/opel would they base it on? ;)

Shude said:
That's not going to happen is it? Which vauxhall/opel would they base it on? ;)
Surely there's some crappy GM American chassis still with RWD that they would use?

Doh! Change my vote to NO.

Looks too American at the front and has hints of Aston Martin about it too.

Not for me.

fuzzer said:
im not old enough to like saabs yet :D
ohhhh you little sod!, slap for you next time we meet:D
and as for you Shude!!!!

One of the things I really do love about this place is the banter!
I must admit the style of this has gone down better with you guys than I thought it would, does have a bit of generic exec coupe look to it. The top off method of entry is a bit different but we all know if it was ever put into production that would be the first thing removed.
rearside.jpg

I heard that there is a Saab on the way based on an Subaru Impreza platform (4wd, clever electronics etc), but presumably without the standard issue baseball cap accessory.

I do like that concept Saab, but to be honest it could be anything - I'm not sure I see much family resemblence to the 9-3 or 9-5.

Rose Chap said:
I do like that concept Saab, but to be honest it could be anything - I'm not sure I see much family resemblence to the 9-3 or 9-5.
I think it has a bit of the family nose but thats about it.

Mark, there is no way on Gods Earth that you would ever get into that :devil: Seriously though It look terrible. Like a cross between an Aston and a Jaguar. In my opinion it should remain a concept car no less.

I have seen about 6 Saab concept cars from a market research event that I was paid £50? for attending.

The 4x4s looked badass (that's positive in my opinion) the coupe's looked great and the smallest one was a rip of the impreza "estate" - it was the only one that looked contrived and not credible.... so they'll probably only build that one...

I am a Saab fan since I had a 9000CSE. The traffic parted like waves, such was the respect.

lotusmark2 said:
ohhhh you little sod!, slap for you next time we meet:D
and as for you Shude!!!!

One of the things I really do love about this place is the banter!
I must admit the style of this has gone down better with you guys than I thought it would, does have a bit of generic exec coupe look to it. The top off method of entry is a bit different but we all know if it was ever put into production that would be the first thing removed.
rearside.jpg

Its hideous from the rear..but then most things are ;)

SEM said:
Do the designers all go to the same school? apart from the window wrap it looks like the same shape. do you think?

Most of them do!! A combination of Coventry University, Loughborough University (less for styling granted), and finishing off at the Royal College of Art.

Rose Chap said:
I heard that there is a Saab on the way based on an Subaru Impreza platform (4wd, clever electronics etc), but presumably without the standard issue baseball cap accessory.

Was badged 9-2x in US IIRC, and was a sticking plaster to boost flagging sales - nick named the "SAABaru". I think the decision was made not to bring it to the UK - at least for the current generation anyway. I think the second generation will be US only too, based on what I remember from Autocar articles.

Again if I remember right, there was some likely deal between Saab and Subaru for a US SAAB 4x4 based on the Tribeca (spelling??) - can't recall what's happening on that one.

Bobby Dazzler said:
Most of them do!! A combination of Coventry University, Loughborough University (less for styling granted), and finishing off at the Royal College of Art.

How are they supposed to get any inspiration? :p

lotusmark2 said:
Do you guys like it?

Yes.

It calls to mind the recognisable Saab characteristics (curved screen, long nose and swooping profile) while avoiding the rather cynical current trend of simply replicating the specific design features of old models. Ford and GM (in the US) in particular have been blatantly plagiarizing designs from the 60's and 70's in the hope that nostalgia will win them sales, but to me such a practice smacks of laziness and I think it's good to move forward.

Chris Bangle's BMW designs have been criticised from the outset, but now his radical styling cues are being adopted by rival manufacturers and before too long, what seems radical now will simply become mainstream. Anyone remember the Sierra when it was launched.......? People thought it looked like something from outer-space :)

If this concept is indicative of Saab's future models (assuming that Saab has a future - it's touch and go right now, sadly), then I'd be delighted. The design is progressive and strong, and if such a car was available, I'd consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom