So, the M25 Gantry Speed Cams have caught...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
...precisely zero speeding vehicles in the last 12 months :rolleyes:

Clicky linky

The m25 between the m4 and m40 junctions has been de-restricted for years, the 70mph limit just dosent work.

They arent speed camera though, they are there for traffic info and to work out how and why the traffic/accident blackspots occur...

They arent speed camera though, they are there for traffic info and to work out how and why the traffic/accident blackspots occur...

Wahey - I'll boot it next time I'm around there in that case.

Seriously though I do wonder about a lot of these cameras, the ones on the M4 at Newport don't seem to be active either.

Is it possible to do more than 70mph on the M25 :D

Has been posted here before the the Highway Agency confirmed they are only used to enforce the variable speed limit while it is in force, but not for speeding when the variable speed limit does not apply.

On another note, a speed camera that catches no drivers is one that works as intended.

On another note, a speed camera that catches no drivers is one that works as intended.

Good point.

People (and media) tend to miss that often a deterrent is actually at its most successful when it appears to be unecessary.

Did DAVE tell you that? :D

...often a deterrent is actually at its most successful when it appears to be unecessary.
Quite agree - but that wasn't the point of the article. If no-one has exceeded the gantry-posted (and alledgedly camera enforced) limit on the M25 in the last 12 months, I'll eat my W212...

Quite agree - but that wasn't the point of the article. If no-one has exceeded the gantry-posted (and alledgedly camera enforced) limit on the M25 in the last 12 months, I'll eat my W212...

I've been commuting round the western stretch of the M25 for 10 years now and the cameras have never been enabled from my experience.

They used to flash a few years ago but I've never even heard of anyone receiving a PCN through one let alone had one myself.

I've certainly seen the gantry cameras flashing away when I've been sitting in traffic and the other side has been moving. Given that it's an automated system it seems bizarre that they've never actually issued any tickets.

I've been commuting round the western stretch of the M25 for 10 years now and the cameras have never been enabled from my experience.

They used to flash a few years ago but I've never even heard of anyone receiving a PCN through one let alone had one myself.
My ex boss was fined and got points six years ago when caught doing 85 between the M4 and M40 junctions. So they were working once.

Markjay hit the nail on the head when he said that the cameras (officially safety cameras I believe) were doing their job well if nobody's been caught recently. I've certainly noticed how well behaved (speed wise anyway) everyone is on the Western section of the M25.

The linked article talked about cameras only being used where lower limits were in force. This certainly is the impression that M3 users seemed to have on Sunday when I was down that way. I came off the M25 heading towards the southbound M3 and as usual got stuck behind two vehicles side by side in the two available lanes doing about 45mph. When we got onto the M3 there was a 50 limit that everyone was regarding as untouchable, so we crawled at 40 - 45! Eventually the outside lane cleared so I was able to drive at an indicated 55, passing everyone else with ease. But a while after entering the 70 limit stretch, a few of the earlier dawdlers, including one of the cars I'd been stuck behind on the slip road, passed me well above the indicated 80 that I was doing!

The 50mph limit (enforced with average speed ANPR cameras) on the M3 slip road as you come off the M25 was introduced a few years ago during roadworks. I was surprised to see they did not remove the speed limit and cameras when the road reopened normally. I can't see the logic of having a 1-mile 3-lane Motorway stretch (the M3 after the slip road) being permanently restricted to 50mph?

that is down to 2 lanes under the M25 still

Even so the NSL for non-Motorway road of this type would still be 70mph.... yet this is a Motorway and it is restricted to 50mph. Can't see why...

The most annoying part for me is still that the majority of slower drivers insist on sticking to the shortest route round the bend, which is the right hand lane. Why can't they keep left? :wallbash:

I thought all speed cameras had to be painted yellow. No Yellow cameras on the M25 gantry = No cameras.

I have regularly sped on both the M25 and M4. Usually in the early hours of the morning.

And especially so when the limit is set to 40mph during the day. All that seems to do is get the idiots braking at every gantry which then starts a chain reaction of braking until we are all doing <10mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom