So the shed is back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
So folks, I have just got the shed back.

HB and his brother along with my local indie organised my Bilstien B12 prokit to be fitted to the shed.

I also had the 7g box drained and all the fluid including the torque convertor drained (they disconnect some pipes to get it all out).

The ride height of the car hasn't altered much, not to my naked eyes so it remains perfectly practical. I suspect maybe its sat a tad higher at the front but its hard to tell.

However, its a tad more firm for all that, and a quick roundabout test reveals a car that grips better, and one that communicates a loss of traction better. Its more progressive and rather than a nasty moment, you get more warning before making for a safer, and more enjoyable driving experience. Its not a transmformation, but a reasonable improvement that I would recommend for £600 parts if your suspension fails....

The 7g seems a lot better, like actually pleasant and is the best of all the 7g cars I have driven, and mines the eldest. It seems quicker shifting, and perfectly smooth. We may have finally sorted out my car.

Sadly, all is not well. From the spring collapse, both wings have minor buckles and the rust has spread on the door. The car was scraped last year and the MB approved bodyshop has cocked up. I really cannot be bothered for the sake of a few quid under warranty letting them loose again on the car, so I will take it to another place which painted the other side of the car for me, and that side is fine.

This weekend, one of my best friends leaves the UK to start a new job in Saudi Arabia, so I will take him for a grand tour to say good bye to Scotland, and this will take in Glen Coe, Loch Lagan, Tomintoul, back to Edinburgh for a sight see and something to eat, and back to Glasgow.

I'll report back.

That's the spirit, get back in the shed and enjoy it. Rust is only visible on the outside anyway.

That's the spirit, get back in the shed and enjoy it. Rust is only visible on the outside anyway.

Its very minor and its not a valuable car now, so not bothered. Still, I will fix it.

I forgot, the steering seems a lot improved and its a tighter feeling car. I also had a dual carriageway car and it seemed more stable.

It seems nice and a well balance sports saloon. And my box works very nicely too. The way its meant to and never does in so many cars.

Hope the shed behaves from now on Steve,the 7g's really are a good box imho & now yours has been reset & atf changed you should see it perform much nicer:)

Its very minor and its not a valuable car now, so not bothered. Still, I will fix it.

I forgot, the steering seems a lot improved and its a tighter feeling car. I also had a dual carriageway car and it seemed more stable.

It seems nice and a well balance sports saloon. And my box works very nicely too. The way its meant to and never does in so many cars.

Did they realign the suspension after the Bilstien's were fitted? The lower ride heigh would alter the geometry - so maybe this is why is feels so good.

The 7g seems a lot better, like actually pleasant and is the best of all the 7g cars I have driven, and mines the eldest. It seems quicker shifting, and perfectly smooth. We may have finally sorted out my car.

*** happy with a 7G - now that is a result! I'll alert the media....:thumb:

Hope the shed behaves from now on Steve,the 7g's really are a good box imho & now yours has been reset & atf changed you should see it perform much nicer:)

Full fluid and TC drain, and the re-adaptions set by someone who really knows them well...

I hope it doesn't adapt back into bad habits....

Did they realign the suspension after the Bilstien's were fitted? The lower ride heigh would alter the geometry - so maybe this is why is feels so good.

Yep, on a hunter machine. Re-alligned, new dampers and springs, and a worn ball joint. I did the other one so its all pretty much new. Bushes are fine.

*** happy with a 7G - now that is a result! I'll alert the media....:thumb:

Finally, and I have driven about 4 others, and been in an additional 2 that have had some form of shifting issue.

This one, now, so far doesn't. If it re-adapts into bad habits I will go beserk, but I'll just assume mine works and is actually quite nice.

Not sure whether to say congrats on getting the car back, or I hope for your sake it spontaneously combusts on the driveway. Difficult one. :D

Not sure whether to say congrats on getting the car back, or I hope for your sake it spontaneously combusts on the driveway. Difficult one. :D

Its insured and that covers the cost of the suspension. I've always maintained when it works its a belting car, I just hope it continues to work as all this work and Gbox came to £1500

Sounds good, don't the springs take some time to bed in? I found that when I had h&r's fitted to my c320.

Glad you have it back and happy...for now,

Still amazed you have it mind, and being honest a new std spring fitted would have left you £1250 more in the kitty for the next shed II.

I enjoy your touring threads so hope it carries on for these :)

Sounds good, don't the springs take some time to bed in? I found that when I had h&r's fitted to my c320.

I hope so. Dont mind the stance, it still drives nicely.

Does that mean you've told them about the suspension mod Steve?

Of course. Its a very stupid, selfish and wreckless thing not to declare any modification to the vehicle. Adrian Flux sorted a quote out, and I'll be able to remap it too.

Glad you have it back and happy...for now,

Still amazed you have it mind, and being honest a new std spring fitted would have left you £1250 more in the kitty for the next shed II.

I enjoy your touring threads so hope it carries on for these :)

Its worth naff all, and before all this, I had sunk over £2k into it. I just dont have enough for another car, I'll have this one another two years or so, then I will be able to purchase another at a more leasurely rate.

A touring thread will be launched next week, and one the week after as I am visiting "Gods Old County" on the Yorkshire YOMP.

The shed loves touring.

*** said:
I hope so. Dont mind the stance, it still drives nicely.

I think it will, I found it a little bouncy at first but after a couple of weeks the ride was firm and the handling so much better.

You could always look at it is the sheds renaissance

I think it will, I found it a little bouncy at first but after a couple of weeks the ride was firm and the handling so much better.

You could always look at it is the sheds renaissance

Its already better, one loop round the roundabout revealed a more progressive car, and one that works its tyres harder to generate more grip.

I'm going to enjoy this car....

good news :)

I hope it's nothing to do with your journey down south and back north in a RAV4 !

good news :)

I hope it's nothing to do with your journey down south and back north in a RAV4 !

The Rav4 was actually ok. Not ideal for the trip on the motorway. The Mercedes really excells at that sort of thing. They are made for long distance or long duration driving, the way the seats are made, the fact the pedals are deeply recessed in the footwell etc.

The Rav4 couldnt possibly match up to that, but it was useful to use and perfectly pleasant along the rural cotswolds lanes.

I think people do get rather precious about cars every now and then, and a weekend in something lesser might help them realise how good they have it, it did that for me.

From driving the shed last time, its better at NSL DCW speed, a lot more stable. I expect my motorway drive down to Manchester next Friday will pass easily.

Sounds like it's handling more like a CLS now Steve... :D

Sounds like it's handling more like a CLS now Steve... :D
The CLS is a cracking RWD chassis actually, driven two, the stiffness of the bodyshell over the 211 really shows. Its pretty much E90 BMW good.

Of course everyone tells me a CLS is there for me, maybe, but you're not far off the money, its steering, stability, and grip plus progression are better.

Glad to hear you have a good result Steve and a car that you like to drive again :)

Hope the box keeps behaving for you, you're due some trouble free motoring by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom