So THIS is what forum members looks like!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fifty years ago today I ran away to sea! Actually, I was dropped at Preston station to travel down to Shotley, Ipswich where I started my time in the Royal Navy at HMS Ganges. Scary at 15 years of age! I have actually climbed all 143.5 ft up that mast to stand on the "button" at the top (I worry about stepladders nowadays! :) )
Looking back I had a fantastic time and it made me the person that I am - for better or worse! Would highly recommend any youngster to enlist in one of the forces for a while as it will make them a much more rounded person.

View attachment 104893 View attachment 104894 View attachment 104895
I was living just outside Ipswich at that time, working at BT Research. As an ex sea cadet I still had an interest in the navy so popped down to Shotley a few times. I may have even seen you on the button!

Fifty years ago today I ran away to sea! Actually, I was dropped at Preston station to travel down to Shotley, Ipswich where I started my time in the Royal Navy at HMS Ganges. Scary at 15 years of age! I have actually climbed all 143.5 ft up that mast to stand on the "button" at the top (I worry about stepladders nowadays! :) )
Looking back I had a fantastic time and it made me the person that I am - for better or worse! Would highly recommend any youngster to enlist in one of the forces for a while as it will make them a much more rounded person.

My dad ran away to sea in 1926, aged 16
Got to Devonport where he signed on as a deck hand.
Said training and instructors were horrific.
Instructors claimed (he said) to make men out of boys. All he ever saw them make out of boys, were corpses.
Cried for his mum every night for weeks.

Then he saw a notice for volunteers for a new shore base on the East coast and put his name down
He got to Shotley in the first tranche of volunteers and never looked back.
(I've got his card and number here somewhere)
He did the mast, but, never the button (did you get your extra 1/- or was it 2/6 for being button boy)

Ended up, Chief Yeoman, Signals . . .loved every minute.
Kicked out after 22 years, failed his eye test!

Dad did do a couple of reunions, but, not 'til after he retired (5 kids and living in Berkshire not conducive to visiting Ipswich)

My dad ran away to sea in 1926, aged 16
Got to Devonport where he signed on as a deck hand.
Said training and instructors were horrific.
Instructors claimed (he said) to make men out of boys. All he ever saw them make out of boys, were corpses.
Cried for his mum every night for weeks.

Then he saw a notice for volunteers for a new shore base on the East coast and put his name down
He got to Shotley in the first tranche of volunteers and never looked back.
(I've got his card and number here somewhere)
He did the mast, but, never the button (did you get your extra 1/- or was it 2/6 for being button boy)

Ended up, Chief Yeoman, Signals . . .loved every minute.
Kicked out after 22 years, failed his eye test!

Dad did do a couple of reunions, but, not 'til after he retired (5 kids and living in Berkshire not conducive to visiting Ipswich)

I was never an official Button Boy. Just a 15 year old with no fear and who saw the rule that you were not allowed further than the half-moon unless permitted as more of a challenge. Got a severe bollocking for that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom