So today I bought a Canon EOS 350D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
:)

After a while of to-ing and fro-ing about a new camera I thought it would be a good idea to try a digital SLR. So far, it appears to be a sensible choice.

Jessops are selling it with a Canon bag and the USM version of the 18-55mm lens for £599. If you purchase with a Mastercard, there is a little known offer where Canon will refund you £100.

Details: http://www.canonmastercardpromotion.com

Total cost = £499 for a rather nice camera.

Also managed to get a 2GB 15mb/sec (100x) Fuji Pro compact flash card down the road for £90. Could have got it cheaper on line, but it was local and I could get it today.

:bannana:

Very nice choice :)

I have the EOS300 and EOS3 (both non-digital) which i use when i feel like i want to get in a creative mood. Have often thought about selling them, but the amount i spent at the time, i'm going to stick to it.. afterall, if it ain't broke.. :)

That is a seriously nice camera - look forward to seeing some nice pic's. Rumour has it you have a mni :D ;)

Why the Canon over the Nikon D100 ?

- I ask because I have got my choice down to the Nikon, Cannon and Sony offerings....

Hi William,

I wanted to spend around £500 so the choices were limited, and a cousin here in Kent has a reasonable lens collection for her 300D. Been reading around the 300/350 are regarded as quite good.

Tried out the Konica Minolta, which is the only low end model to have anti-shake in the body (rather than lens) - it was too big and bulky. No friends with lenses either. A very capable camera though.

The Sony DSC-R1 has just been reviewed over at www.dpreview.com and Phil reckons it's worth the money for the lens alone. Played with it at the Mac show in London recently, and very big/heavy not to mention expensive accessories and Sony's notoriously expensive and short-lifed batteries.

Nikon D50s got a good review, and I almost jumped for one at Stanstead Dixons for £404 with a kit lens. Excellent value, but surrounded by Canon owners I just couldn't do it. Reviews also indicated that it was a better camera than the D70 in some areas. Still, a friend has one and I just cannot get excited about it.

I had a read of a few forums and looked up the probs that each cameras has, and in the end I was happy enough with the 350d. This kit came with the faster focusing USM lens too, which will hopefully help when shooting cars.

Entertainingly, the main reason for wanting a proper camera was the incredibly bad performance of my other two digitals at MPH recently. I couldn't get good pics outside due to the strange colour of the sky (white balance went mental), and indoors the low light meant that everything wanted a long shutter, and I didn't have a tripod with me.

I'll bring it when we catch up for a beer if you want a play?

Sounds good..... Considerinh adding it to my Xmas list now...(and wifey has a Mastercard)

Just burning some DVD's...... :D :D :D :D

The D70 is the best of the budget bunch - though it really depends on whether you like Nikon or Canon interfaces. The D100 is very old and not worth looking at.

Now you want to buy the Canon i9950 printer to print off your pictures. Nice Camera BTW

SEM said:
Now you want to buy the Canon i9950 printer to print off your pictures. Nice Camera BTW

Not a fan of home printing at all actually - I normally send off the pics through an online service, or just wander down to Jessops at the end of the street. Cheap/easy enough I guess. Can't be ar5ed with inks and paper, etc.

I wouldn't go to Jessops for anything! Snappysnaps are far better - though being concessions you need to find a decent one.

stats007 said:
I wouldn't go to Jessops for anything! Snappysnaps are far better - though being concessions you need to find a decent one.

I know the chap (Simon) who owns the Swiss Cottage and St Johns Wood branches.. if thats around your way. Highly recommended.

Nice choice, almost went for one of those but decided on the D70s in the end as dad had a few Nikon accessories lying about. Only down side to going to DSLR is that I find using the normal digicams a pain in the neck when trying to get decent results now which does suck esp when you don't want to lug around a big camera bag ;)

Day #2 report.

One of the main reasons for buying the camera - low light ability in Auto mode - has proven to be excellent. Much better results than anything else I have used previously.

Size is an issue, so I am glad that I didn't go for a bigger model. Happy to lug it around though based on the flexibility and picture quality.

For once I actually installed the stuff that came with the camera. Even tried it on the Mac. All seems ok. Trying to "arrange" a copy of Apple's new software - Aperture, as it was designed for RAW shooting and processing.

At the risk of sounding dumb.....

I've been considering a DSLR for a few weeks now.

What are the pros and cons of using a DSLR over a digicam? Is it just the level of functionality and capture times or is there more to it than that....?

Cheers

A normal digicam will have a fixed lense with zoom, and digital zoom. With an SLR you can interchange the lense. So for example, you can take off the lense and attach a macro lense, for close up shots, or a zoom lense.

Overall, an SLR can give you better results but as always it depends on the person taking the pictures. :)

HTH

stats007 said:
The D70 is the best of the budget bunch - though it really depends on whether you like Nikon or Canon interfaces. The D100 is very old and not worth looking at.

:D I have had the D100 for a while now and I believe the D70 is a cut down version?

The D100 is certainly old hat and is being replaced. (tempting to get the new model) D200

Scotth_uk has bought an excellent camera and now comes the exciting bit of selecting the next lens.

Just remember you do NOT need a dedicated digital lens.

I look forward to seeing some of your pictures,

Bye for now,
John

Last edited:
Big Jim said:
What are the pros and cons of using a DSLR over a digicam? Is it just the level of functionality and capture times or is there more to it than that....?

Jim,

There were a couple of things on my shopping list that point and shoots didn't do well enough for me:

Low light performance
Fast focus
Ability to take continuous pics
Ability to change the lens and use a wide variety of filters
More control over depth of field

For a lot of people, the dSLR is actually a pain in the neck to us and a nice Point and Shoot would be a better choice.

glojo said:
The D100 is certainly old hat and is being replaced. (tempting to get the new model) D200

Scotth_uk has bought an excellent camera and now comes the exciting bit of selecting the next lens.

The D200 looks awesome - nice bit of kit from what I read.

As for the lens - oh dear, what I am I going to get? Too many to choose from and the pricing is scary for many!

Thanks guys, thats a big help.

What would be a good starter model for a DSLR?

Is it best to go cheap to start with, or go all in and learn different aspect as you go. I guess my max budget is £1k, but would happily settle for cheaper if you think less is more.

Jim

The D70 was an entirely new model that basically did everything the D100 did a little bit quicker for less money (albeit in a slightly less rigid and 'pro' housing). The D100 is a good camera, but like all technology , it has been surpassed. It is now 3 years old, whereas the first D70 came out in 2004 and the D70s this year.

I have a few friends that are pro photographers - one hates Nikon and swears by Canon, the other vice-versa!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom