So , today i fixed .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
My numberplate lights that stopped working yesterday .... :rolleyes:

Standard w124 problem , wires snap in the hinge as the boot is opened and closed a million times ....

Took the trim off , had a gander .... what do you know , it's been repaired before ( badly :mad: )

3 completely broken brown wires , one with a yellow trace , 1 completely broken grey with purple stripe wire , one partially broken grey with purple stripe and white dots wire ....

Interestingly , where it had been repaired before, the grey/purple wire ( with a bullet connector ) had been joined to the grey/purple/white dot wire and vice versa ..

Stripped them all back , wired them up correctly, and wrapped in spiragrip , and what do you know , as well as the number plate lights working properly now , the boot light works ( it hasn't for the last 5 years :rolleyes: ) ...

So treated it to a new 10w festoon bulb as a mark of respect ....

Job done , 1/2 hour ..... nice

Well done.

Did you use insulating tape?

There is available proper MB fabric tape and its far superior to insulating tape. I highly recomend it.

I love it when a plan comes together:D

If only all my dabbling ended up like that:eek:

Hi Olly ,

No didn't use insulating tape , used a thing called spiragrip , its like a flat plastic spiral sheath that you wind on ....

Keeps the wires all together , and looks neater than insulation tape ... i know the fabric stuff you mean though ( sticks like s**t to a blanket ) ...

The wires through the hinge are in a plastic circular conduit ....

Heat shrink sleeving is the best for joining when soldering the wires, the wires stay the same size.

Self amalgamating tape is also very good,, just stretch it as you wind it on and it all becomes one. (it is removable)

Hi Malcolm ...

I didn't do anything as technical as soldering .... :eek:

Male and female bullet connectors are my friends .... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom