So what's the scrap value of white goods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beetnik

Car
Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
I ask because a couple of months ago I left an old freezer on my drive and it disappeared after a couple of days and before I'd rung the council to ask them to collect it.

Tonight it was the turn of a dishwasher which was there for an hour before two blokes pulled up outside and kindly removed it.

The dishwasher is worth up to £20 maxx,if S-Still but they'll need to strip it.If they don't is worth less than £10

The freezer is worth nothing as you can't take them to scrap
You actually need to pay for it to be taken,the chaps that took will get the kompressor out and just find a corner and dump it again

More likely it will be squirreled away until they have a ton or so and then wiegh it in. I'm currently doing up an old house and have a skip outside , yesterday 2 guys knocked the door and asked (?) if they could have a look for any metal, even the smallest piece of metal or pipe has been taken even so far as the old hinges off 3 doors i'd thrown in there.

More likely it will be squirreled away until they have a ton or so and then wiegh it in. I'm currently doing up an old house and have a skip outside , yesterday 2 guys knocked the door and asked (?) if they could have a look for any metal, even the smallest piece of metal or pipe has been taken even so far as the old hinges off 3 doors i'd thrown in there.

Yep......it takes a lot longer to get to filling a skip these days......saves a lot on skips though.

Mic

My own experience is that - in central/west London at least - it seems that everything you put out in the street will go - old dishwashers, washing machines, furniture, etc - and pretty quick. I noticed that some people even leave a note saying 'working', e.g. informing the public that the unwanted goods are in working order....

Tonight it was the turn of a dishwasher which was there for an hour before two blokes pulled up outside and kindly removed it.

You mean STOLE it ?

Taking property without permission ( regardless that you actually wanted rid of it - something they didn't know for a fact ; it could have been awaiting collection by a buyer etc etc ) is theft , pure and simple .

Derek:Many of the people doing scrap this days don't know even know a word of English
I get so many of them through out the day that I even made a sign that said no scrap and even that got nicked

My neighbours put out a whole load of chairs, and I asked why they didn't take them to the dump, to which the response was they will be picked up soon enough and within minutes a scrap van did precisely that. A modern day version of Steptoe.

MarkJuneddeven said:
so far as the old hinges off 3 doors i'd thrown in there.

Doesn't say much about the economy, to be rummaging through a skip, to remove old hinges off a door, and then collect enough off them to sell.

At least they are 'earning' a living, rather than 'falsely ripping of the nation'.

You mean STOLE it ?

Taking property without permission ( regardless that you actually wanted rid of it - something they didn't know for a fact ; it could have been awaiting collection by a buyer etc etc ) is theft , pure and simple .

Nowadays, especially down south around the London area, it is normal to leave anything you want taken as scrap out on the driveway (on the edge of the pavement) - if its something you want to keep for someone else, then the 'norm' is to keep it on the drive closer to the house.

If you leave it at the end of your driveway by the pavement, it is considered as being scrap to be taken away.

Anyone remember the Rag and Bone man? I can remember the horse drawn one, just seems to be a modern version!

I had a set of alloys kindly removed from my drive while I was swapping summer and winter tyres... I had popped into the house to get a drink and by the time I was out they were gone...

Same happened with an old chest freezer... I don't mind about the freezer as it saved me a trip to the recycling center... but the wheels I was quite p*ssed about...

M.

Doesn't say much about the economy, to be rummaging through a skip, to remove old hinges off a door, and then collect enough off them to sell.

At least they are 'earning' a living, rather than 'falsely ripping of the nation

Yes sure they are earning their living but that'll be taxfree money as they don't claim any income

Anyone remember the Rag and Bone man? I can remember the horse drawn one, just seems to be a modern version!

You can tell that you're out in the sticks! We still get them nearer to town, in fact there are still a few that come round being pulled by horses.

[YOUTUBE]NVRRLNLtQ5I[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I live in a very rural area, the cottage is 170metres down a private track and the cottage cannot be seen from the road as the track is not straight. The week before last we had a skip delivered as we were clearing out the barn of associated toys, old garden furniture and general rubbish.

Two days after loading the skip a blue Renault Clio was seen driving away down the track with an old electric toy car that we had dumped in the skip rammed into the boot space!!

Clearly the local grapevine worked well here. There were 4 cars parked outside but this clearly did not deter them.
The number has been passed on to the local Police as I find this lack of respect and invasion of my private property irritating in the extreme. I am tempted to sit there in a rocking chair, 12 bore in my lap awaiting the next skip raider :)

Possibly the Clio driver was looking for an upgrade? :)

You mean STOLE it ?

No! The freezer was stolen as I wasn't there but last night they asked!

(albeit it only required a thumbs up sign from me in the window - I suspect it might otherwise have been stolen).

In a similar (legal) vein, Derek, putting rubbish in someone else's skip is flytipping.

reminds me of the old joke:

I bought a new fridge freezer for the refitted kitchen. Put the old one outside in the front garden with a sign saying "100% working, free to anyone who needs it"

After ten days, still there

Changed the sign to one saying "For sale £25"

Gone the next morning

I live in a very rural area, the cottage is 170metres down a private track and the cottage cannot be seen from the road as the track is not straight. The week before last we had a skip delivered as we were clearing out the barn of associated toys, old garden furniture and general rubbish.

Two days after loading the skip a blue Renault Clio was seen driving away down the track with an old electric toy car that we had dumped in the skip rammed into the boot space!!

Clearly the local grapevine worked well here. There were 4 cars parked outside but this clearly did not deter them.
The number has been passed on to the local Police as I find this lack of respect and invasion of my private property irritating in the extreme. I am tempted to sit there in a rocking chair, 12 bore in my lap awaiting the next skip raider :)

Possibly the Clio driver was looking for an upgrade? :)

When re-furbishing my current abode, I stacked old copper tube & brass beside my garage intending to take it to scrap yard when work completed.
The scrap was out of sight from the road and we are the last house in a cul de sac.
Had a phone call from a neighbour one day to say that our postman had just seen a Vaux Astra steaming down our drive, 3 people in it. He had taken the number.
Went home, saw that the scrap had gone and called Plod.
They must have taken 5 to 10 minutes to load the scrap as much of it was in long lengths which would have needed folding to fit in an Astra.
2 Plods attended, checked with the owner of the car that the car had not been stolen - therefore the driver was one of the 3 occupants. Plod was pleased as several scrap thefts in the area recently, particularly on an industrial estate near to Astra owners abode.
Several weeks later plod advised that they had decided not to proceed at that stage and a different Plod would be in touch to explain why - still waiting for Plod to get in touch about 4 years later:dk:

Several weeks later plod advised that they had decided not to proceed at that stage and a different Plod would be in touch to explain why - still waiting for Plod to get in touch about 4 years later:dk:

He's not quite finished plumbing his house yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom