So yesterday I bought a TTG 700.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
I thought I'd treat myself as it was my birthday recently (Thanks again to everyone that posted kind wishes) so I went out and bought a TomTom Go 700. I haven't had a chance to give it a good test yet but I must say that I am really impressed. :rock:

I think the biggest bonus of this package when compared to the 500 & 300 versions is the inclusion of Europe maps down to street level :cool: :bannana:

I've activated the plus pack which is free for one month and includes a free demo speed camera database. TomTom want to charge €69.95 for the full version :crazy: so I can see me installing the free camera database from pocketgpsworld :D However, Tomtom also do camera databases for Belgium, France, Netherlands ;) and also another POI database for wifi hotspots.

The only other thing I have changed is the splash screen (start up screen) from standard to... see first attachment. I did another one (see 2nd attachment) but preferred the first effort :p So have any of you customised your Go's?

Thanks to everyone who has posted about their Tomtoms on this forum as it helped me enormously. :)

S.

Attachments

• mercedes_splash.jpg
    mercedes_splash.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 177
  • minty_splash.jpg
    minty_splash.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 158
I love your splash screens - brilliant. Havne't customised ours - never thought about it tbh - but I might have to now :devil:

Congrats on your purchase - enjoy :D

oh - and have a narna :bannana:

The "Celebrity voices" are good for novely value - John Cleese, Darth Vader, Yoda etc.

Got them running on my TT5 but assume they work on the Go also...

smartbrabus said:
The "Celebrity voices" are good for novely value - John Cleese, Darth Vader, Yoda etc.

Got them running on my TT5 but assume they work on the Go also...

DUDE! I was wondering if that was possible! I was even looking for a Yoda / Darth voice!!!

WHERE? WHERE? WHERE?

PLEASE! I would sell my ca...I mean my soul for that!

Maybe someone will make a Dalek voice,
"turn around when possible - OR YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED...." :D :D

Spinal said:
DUDE! I was wondering if that was possible! I was even looking for a Yoda / Darth voice!!!

WHERE? WHERE? WHERE?

YHPM ;)

Out of curiousity..

i have the mobile version, running on my XDA... absolutely love the splash screens.. (both look good IMO)..

BUT, which files do u edit? Would love to 'customise' mine if possible. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. :D

Madferrit said:
Out of curiousity..

i have the mobile version, running on my XDA... absolutely love the splash screens.. (both look good IMO)..

BUT, which files do u edit? Would love to 'customise' mine if possible. :)
I'm not sure if the mobile version is the same as the Go 700/500/300 but on the root drive you will find a file called splash.bmp, this is the file that I changed... to quote the instructions at pocketgpsworld:

Custom Splash Screen:

The Classic didn't have a splash screen but all you need do is give it one! Create a splash screen or download one and save it to the root of the storage card. As always it needs to be called splash.bmp, 320x240 pixels in size and rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise.

BTW I think the author means rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

S.

I've just received my Road Angel Navigator in the post - this has Navteq satnav + Road Angel camera database - will let you know how i get on with it over the weekend.

jeremytaylor said:
I've just received my Road Angel Navigator in the post - this has Navteq satnav + Road Angel camera database - will let you know how i get on with it over the weekend.

Good stuff ... looks interesting.

smartbrabus said:

I wonder what John Cleese would say if you turned into Mentmore Close in Harrow ? Would he say "don't turn down there - I once broke down there and had to thrash the car !" :D

Great splash screens Steve :cool:

As Pluggers has said, the second one is my favourite :bannana:

Will

Where have you mounted the Tom Tom Steve???

Pictures please.

@Jeremy, I'll be interested in reading your feedback on the Road Angel Navigator. The unit looked good to me but I wasn't too sure about the subscription charges.

@culpano, hehe that would be funny :D

@Will, thanks mate :) I've yet to use the minty splash screen. If anyone else wants them for their TTG then feel free to save the images, convert to bmp, rotate image and use :D

@Bri, slightly off centre on the windscreen, my RAII sits in the middle, fairly low but above the wiper line and the TTG sits to the right of it. I'll post some images up when I get the chance. Car looks a bit like a NASA flight centre but they aren't distracting at all, I love the clear voice of Jane and the big speed display of the RAII (Tiff Needles sounds a bit smarmy though :p )

S.

Spinal said:

WHERE? WHERE? WHERE?

Have you seen (heard) these ?

PJH said:
Have you seen (heard) these ?
Unfortunately those links from Cpt_Berns are long since dead as people were d'loading them and selling them on ebay :( Cpt_Berns had enough and removed them from public circulation.

S.

let me know if you want them..i'm sure i've got them somewhere on my pc

Does anyone know if there are USA maps available if I buy a 700 here and then want to use it when on holiday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom