Socket sets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millo777

MB Enthusiast
Car
1997 W140 S600L/2003 S211 320cdi
I've been browsing around the interweb for a some prices on socket sets as my old halfords 3/8 drive kit is past it's best, and noticed what looks like the same set sold by many different manufacturers at wildly differing price points.

Just wondered if I'm missing something, or are these really are all identical (Same quality?) with slight changes to the plastic ratchet handles?

Laser tools £125.94
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/laser-3671-94-piece-socket-set

Maplin own brand £49.99
http://www.maplin.co.uk/94-piece-automotive-socket-set-223263

Duratool £57.46
SOCKET SET, 94PC - D00201 - DURATOOL

Rolson £76.46
Rolson 36255 CRV Socket Set (94 Pieces): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Bluespot tools £40.98
01508 Blue Spot 94pce Socket Set

Amtech tools £48
Buy Am-tech 94Pc 1/2" & 1/4" Dr. Socket Set I0640 from our Hand Tools range - Tesco.com

Unbranded ebay special £32.50 (about 10 different sellers stock them)
94PC 1/2" & 1/4" Socket Screwdriver Tool Torx Bits Box Set Chrome Vanadium | eBay

Last edited:
I would like to splash out and get Teng or Bluepoint/Snap-on, but I don't really do enough to justify the extra cost, though I may well end up going that route.

re the links, I was really just curious as to whether they were likely to be identical, or similar but made to different olerances/standards. The same applies to the halfords professional tools which are identical to the ones sold in B&Q under the Torq brand.

Probably made by the same manufacturer and rebranded for different customers.

My small tool collection. I am a screwdriver man. I use them absolutely everywhere and have a few more sets scattered around the house and garage. Just because.

7245135222_045c9a07d5_c.jpg

I have to agree with sinewave. My Teng socket set is almost 30 years old and, despite much effort, I have still failed to get any piece of it to break. Oh, how I've tried! Absolutely indestructible.

I only ever use Beta or Snap On these days. I went down the cheap and cheerful route and regretted it often. Life is easier with the correct tool that you can depend on.

Costco looked to have a good socket set last time I was in. IIRC it was around £65ish but had 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive ratchets and a good selection of sockets and extensions.

I have had a draper expert 1/2" for about 8 or 9 years which has served me well.

you would be amazed at the halfords set its actually made by sykes pikavant lifetime warranty and virtually unbreakable

I have three Halfords Professional sets - huge, mid size and dinky - all excellent value when on special offer.

Halfords Pro I would use.

Halfords Pro not too bad, Draper expert better,Snap-on/MAC now you are serious.

I have a facom 1/2 inch set - it's great. halfords professional are good as well.

another vote for halfords professional - 4 foot scaffold pole on a 1/2" ratchet and 14 stone bloke sat on the end of it and it doesnt break is saying something....

I do also have a teng tools 1/8" drive micro set - and I have stood on the end of the (3" long) ratchet which is the size of a small 8mm spanner.... impressive. The switch for fwds backwards is tiny - like 2mm long

t1419.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom