Sofits and facia boards cost of replacing / painting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

My Sofits and facias / gutters are to say the least a little worn, and paint flacky.

I'm going to get a few quotes either for sanding and painting or replacing.

I know all houses are different but any idea on costs for this? on a detached house. I did have everest come round around a year ago athough they started at 11k and went down to £6.5K I still thought thats a huge amout.

I don't look up thats much... hehehe

Thanks

Might be worth a PM to EDZ649 as I think he runs a business doing this sort of work.

IMHO, £11k (or £6.5k) to replace that lot is crazy. If the boards are sound just get them repainted. Unless you're likely to be staying there for another 10-20+ years then I doubt the extra cost would be worthwhile.

At 6.5k that is far too much.
Go for UPVC replacements.
What area do you live in?

Terry

Get the existing stuff properly prepared (assuming it isn't rotten), primed, under coated and painted.. That should last at least 5 to 8 years. Shouldn't be more than 3 days work for a detached 4 bed house, less than 1k£.

Budget for a 1 day refresher every 4 years, it will last a long time.

Sofits & facia

If you are a DIY man its quite inexpensive to buy the plastic yourself and put it up particularly if your wood is not rotten and you can clad it.

About three years ago I was amazed at how cheap it was. Its cheaper than wood. A four metre length that was 9 inches in width cost about £12 a length including VAT. Go to a plastic extrusion wholesaler not the likes of B&Q.

I did a whole house with it gables etc and all the materials were less than £200 including new guttering & stainless pins.

Where I live now needs doing soon and when the cold callers knock at my door and want to quote me I say yes please a written quote showing labour and material costs seperately - not one has provide me with a quote !

^ I would love to do it myself I hate paying for work and that was I know itd done right.

Major problem, I don't do heights, top run of a 6 step ladder is my limit.....

:(

Hire a cherry picker from what you save ?

Or would that give you vertigo ?:confused:

I had a quote of just over 1.4k for replacing this gable but I'd ideally settle for refurb, but out of the 3 quotes I had no-one seemed willing/able.

It's quite high so they all included scaffolding.
If anyone can do it cheaper I could be persuaded to go for it, and I have no head for heights after falling 40ft once.

Thanks
P.S. A210AMG Sorry to hijack your thread..

I had a quote of just over 1.4k for replacing this gable but I'd ideally settle for refurb, but out of the 3 quotes I had no-one seemed willing/able.

It's quite high so they all included scaffolding.
If anyone can do it cheaper I could be persuaded to go for it, and I have no head for heights after falling 40ft once.

Thanks
P.S. A210AMG Sorry to hijack your thread..

Forgetful as ever...

Attachments

• 335AHGL1.bmp
    91.8 KB · Views: 57
Just had all facias and rainwater goods renewed including new roof ladders on both gable ends. White UPVC all round as existing timber facias and roof ladders were rotten, took builder about 4 days and material cost app £500, total cost app £1500.

We had ours done about 10yrs ago - bog-standard rectangular detached house inc both gables - and it was £2500. Took 4 guys 4 days to do it, but the way the barge boards where attached on the gables seemed to cause them some issues.
Not sure how much material prices have changed but I didn't think it was much more expensive to get done now.

You probably ought to get felt support trays put underneath the bottom row of tiles to rest on top of the facias as the felt will have rotted away.

One thing I would suggest is, don't get white gutters unless you're prepared to clean them (or have them cleaned) regularly!

A neighbour of mine who had not long had a heart attack did facias/soffits/gutters (but not the gables) with his wife helping, and he worked off a tower platform. I nearly had a heart attack watching them!

Do you know any firemen, usually a nice little sideline for them:D:D I don't do heights either, but we had our house scaffolded out and even I felt safe up there. Scaffold can be erected by professionals in a few hours, a few more to dismantel probably about £700 or so? plus the bits.

Avoided UPVC when I redid my gutters/downpipes a few years back - went for powder coated aluminium. Good quality heavy stuff - the joints don't work themselves loose over time like the UPVC ones do (something to do with thermal expansion and contraction - UPVC does it a lot and eventually the joins part company). Also looks better, imho. Costs was admittedly higher - the kit for a 6 bed detached house was £2-3k, and it cost me about 5 days with a builder to stick it all together.

I had mine done about 8 months ago. £1800 for a 3 bed detached house with extension (UPVC). Your quotes are far to much.

If your in the north. I recommend these claps Crafthomes.co.uk.

I had pretty much the whole house (roof, kitchen, windows, doors, decking, flooring) done by them and I recommend them.

Last edited:
If you have a single lift scaffold put up for a week, it doesn't cost that much and it makes it a hell of a lot easier than working off a ladder or a tower. There is always something in the way that prevents you using a tower to do the whole house...garage, extension etc etc.

You can also check all the roof, gutters and anything else and the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom