Softening a W210 avantgarde estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pac280

Car
E430, E320CDI & CLK320CDI
Hi my E430 estate rides too firmly for my liking (compared to my old E280 estate). Can anyone recommend softer springs (perhaps elegance spec. might do the job).

Hi Pac280,

I imagine swapping the springs would help slightly, but probably the dampers may be different - might be an idea to do those as well.

What wheels/tyres does your car ride on out of interest? And how many miles does it have under its belt?

Will

Hi Will
its running standard 215 65 16's and has done 165,000 miles.
It had replacement front springs (MB210.321.21.04) 18 months ago and drives very nicely its just a bit firm (as its got self levelling rear suspension ) I'm not too sure about a damper change all round, I was hoping a softer spring might do the trick.

PAC280

It might be worth checking your rear spheres (If the system is the same as on the W124) as when my spheres went the ride was very harsh indeed.

Dave!

Deffo agree with Dave, when the rear accumulators (speheres) fail they normally give the car a very hard ride at the rear as effectively the 'dampers' (struts) get no travel due to the gas escaping out of the spheres and filling with ZHM fluid (non-compressable, unlike the nitrogen which should be there..)

How hard a ride are we talking here, I mean the Avantgarde is obviously slightly firmer than the Elegance, but this is still an 'E' class Mercedes, the ride should be very comfortable and smooth :cool:

Probably worth getting it checked out if you're not sure, have you driven many other similar cars to compare against?

Will

Thanks for your thoughts guys. The ride is as you suggest soft by some standards but its just not as comfortable as my old E280. I've done 18,000 miles in the last 12 months and while it hadles well my wife complains its not as smoth over the good old British roads.

Did you ever soften your rear springs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom