Softer ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAZZER1

Car
mercedes e320cdi estate
Can anyone suggest a softer compound tyre for my w210 e320cdi to get a more comfortable ride, Have checked all the normal things like suspension, spheres & shocks etc., nothing wrong with them, it just seems that the Avantgarde is a more hard ride than other type of Mercs.

Advice of softer ride tyres would be appreciated without having to pay the earth for them.

Many thanks
BAZZER1

What size wheels do you have, my old W210 Avantgard with 16" wheels was fine, fitted 18" and it became a bit harsh, went back to the 16s

215/55/R16, It is not uncomfortable, but just seems to be a hard ride, not what I would expect from a Mercedes, maybe the Avantgarde because it has apparently a lower suspension than others gives this hard/firm ride and I thought that by using a softer compound tyre when I change them soon, that it would improve the ride comfort.

BAZZER1

Are you 100% sure of all your suspension bushes?

If so, then Michelin and continental give the best ride quality IMO.

Are you sure the suspension spheres are OK. The diaphragm may be unruptured but if the internal gas pressure has dropped? I would suggest getting a ride in the same model of the same age for comparison if you can?

I would agree with above re wheelsize. Tyres of same size are unlikely to make a huge difference to the ride, whereas if you opt for smaller tyres & more rubber, then this should be noticably better comfort.
However to some degree you will have to put up with a degree of firmness if you have the sport suspension

It is the Avantgarde...or Sports model in other markets. It is designed to be lower and firmer.

It is the Avantgarde...or Sports model in other markets. It is designed to be lower and firmer.

Many thanks, I thought this might be the reason, but was not 100% sure about this. Is there anything that can be done to get the Avantgarde W210 a softer ride ?? apart maybe for different tyres with a softer composition. ?

BAZZER1

Tyres of same size are unlikely to make a huge difference to the ride, whereas if you opt for smaller XtyresX & more rubber, then this should be noticably better comfort.
-I meant to write smaller wheels!
eg 17s or even 16s
Is there anything that can be done to get the Avantgarde W210 a softer ride ??
BAZZER1
-smaller wheels, or softer springs!

The Elegance springs and dampers are softer.

If you are really serious about a softer ride, you could try & source an elegance at a breakers yard & replace all 4 'legs'- springs/dampers & axles- easier to get them & exchange them complete rather than splitting the parts up
When I upgraded the brakes on my c-coupe, the chap sold me the 2 front legs for iirc £100-150 the pair. I just changed the discs/calipers & ended up disposing of the springs/dampers as not needed

With older cars [ no offence] its likely the car may not be on its orginal MB rated shocks or springs. If one of the previous owners was a budding Tommi Mäkinen he may replaced the standard avantgarde suspension with some ultra stiff components just to get that extra 0.5 of a second on the trip to Tesco's

The Elegance springs and dampers are softer.
A very good suggestion. will the Elegance Springs & Dampers be suitable for the 2002 Avantgarde W210 E320CDI and do you know how much they might be, Is this possible to do this as a DIY Project, I would imagine special tools may be required for this, sorry for the three questions in the same post.

Best regards
BAZZER1

With older cars [ no offence] its likely the car may not be on its orginal MB rated shocks or springs. If one of the previous owners was a budding Tommi Mäkinen he may replaced the standard avantgarde suspension with some ultra stiff components just to get that extra 0.5 of a second on the trip to Tesco's

I have no reason to doubt that they are the original Shocks & Springs, I might make some enquires about having the parts changed to the Elegance Shocks & Mounts as now suggested, if they are compatible, will wait for Renault 12TS to come back to me on this.
Thanks again for your reply.

BAZZER1

It will sit quite a bit higher if you put elegance suspension on it. My w211 e320cdi avantgarde has sport suspension but when i needed to replace the rear shocks & springs i didnt know it has sport suspension & got i reckon elegance suspension, fitted it & the rear was sitting up rediculously high. (Nice soft ride tho).

A very good suggestion. will the Elegance Springs & Dampers be suitable for the 2002 Avantgarde W210 E320CDI and do you know how much they might be, Is this possible to do this as a DIY Project, I would imagine special tools may be required for this, sorry for the three questions in the same post.

Best regards
BAZZER1

Yes they are compatible...yes it is DIY, but with the special spring removers.

Should perhaps remind everyone this is an estate with hydraulic struts and air spheres at the rear- replacements wont be cheap if I have got the spec correct.

You are correct Graeme, my Mercedes is a 2002 7 Seater, Avantgarde Estate e320cdi, will this make any difference to the cost of having the suspension changed.
Thanks to everyone for their input on this.
Greatly appreciated.

BAZZER1

You are correct Graeme, my Mercedes is a 2002 7 Seater, Avantgarde Estate e320cdi, will this make any difference to the cost of having the suspension changed.
Thanks to everyone for their input on this.
Greatly appreciated.

BAZZER1

I believe the rams are the same whether Ag or Elegance...but the springs are different.

Whilst on the subject of hydraulic rear rams & slightly OT, I am interested to know about this:
Are the rear hydraulic rams/dampers identical on a standard sport estate compared with an airmatic one?
-Has the airmatic car simply got an extra pair of hydraulic rams at the front?
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom