Softer suspension please s202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
I have an S202 with a set of H&R cup touring shocks and springs. It's great on good tarmac but the potholes in our roads are too much for it and the ride is too harsh.

Can anyone recommend a combination to give a much softer ride please with part numbers.

genuine....

get anything but 'sport' ones. no offence, but a 202 nowadays unless very special isnt worth lobbing too much money at, so i would suggest used items from ebay etc.

avantgarde, elegance or classic, but not sport or esprit models as donors.

and 15" wheels help over 19's ;)

Consider changing the springs only to standard items. Personally I wouldn't bother with used items when new springs can be purchased relatively cheaply. For instance gh-parts.eu on eBay.uk sell standard replacement springs in pairs (f&r) for fifty five quid delivered, total £110. Might be worth a shot?

Thanks guys,
Not worried about the money aspect. My comfort is worth it!

Why suggest just changing the springs as I thought shocks had a greater effect on ride quality?
I am happy to change both and sell the H &R kit.

Springs determine ride height, shocks determine ride quality

Thanks guys,
Not worried about the money aspect. My comfort is worth it!

Why suggest just changing the springs as I thought shocks had a greater effect on ride quality?
I am happy to change both and sell the H &R kit.

You'll get more suspension travel with standard springs compared to the H&R's currently fitted, thus improved comfort. Ideally, changing shocks would aid comfort too. Recently fitted Eibach springs to complement the Koni adjustable shocks on my w202, the new springs made the biggest different to ride quality - less comfort (but better handling dynamics).

Anyway, I suggested just doing the springs only on a cost basis. But as you state now that you're willing to buy new springs and shocks I'd just buy standard replacement springs or replacement Sportline springs and a set of Bilstein B4's. That just might be the ticket for you?

Last edited:
If money is not a real issue, just go back to stock all round, or if not stock shocks, then Bilstein B4s.

Stock was sport suspension so I will avoid that Charles.

I like jjj's ebay suggestion so i will investigate the supplier recommended.

Stock was sport suspension so I will avoid that Charles.

I like jjj's ebay suggestion so i will investigate the supplier recommended.

Mattc, I'm not recommending the supplier as I've had no dealings with them - it was only a suggestion on a cost basis and they're new.

Last edited:
Hello mattc,

My name is Seyi Banjo and I am new to the car parts industry.

I work for Euro car parts on the web team ironically.

However, I am really eager to learn about cars from everyone in this forum.

Just want to let you know!

If you want to purchase any item for Eurocarparts. Let me know on the group.

Please send me a registration number or item code so I can create a custom discount code for you.

I can provide a discount code of 20-25%.

This Code will give you 20-25% off ALL car parts online. Simply put the code into the checkout and it will remove the 15-25% discount from all applicable items.

However if you can't find your item you can call 02034740500, email [email protected]

Hope this helps
:)

Regards,
Seyi

genuine....

get anything but 'sport' ones. no offence, but a 202 nowadays unless very special isnt worth lobbing too much money at, so i would suggest used items from ebay etc.

avantgarde, elegance or classic, but not sport or esprit models as donors.

and 15" wheels help over 19's ;)
won't the ride height change too much?

asking because i am also looking for replacement used springs (cash-strapped, and custom manufactured ones are also expensive here). my car is equipped with sport suspension, and I don't mind keeping that height. But most donor cars are elegance/classic this side, as the only Sport, apparently, were the C230Ks.

so i am likely going to get elegance/classic in the end. but i hope the C230K won't sit like a tractor afterwards :)

so i am likely going to get elegance/classic in the end. but i hope the C230K won't sit like a tractor afterwards :)
Already got elegance springs for very competitive cost (about GBP15.00 for both). According to the spec these are about 25mm longer than the sport ones, and the wire diameter is 0.5mm thicker (I doubt this last measurement will be felt). If it turns out that the car is too tall for my liking, I guess I could just change the spring pad. Currently the vehicle uses a #3 pad, so I may have to go #1 or 2.

Already got elegance springs for very competitive cost (about GBP15.00 for both). According to the spec these are about 25mm longer than the sport ones, and the wire diameter is 0.5mm thicker (I doubt this last measurement will be felt).

Actually small changes in wire diameter have a relatively big impact on spring rate as the power of 4 part of this formula for calculating the rate of the springs dimensions shows. The 1470000 figure is the modulus of the steel and is a typical figure. If you know the spring dimensions and number of coils you could calculate the difference in spring rates. It's not an easy calculation to get right though unless you already know what ball park the answer should be. I have it on a spreadsheet and if you wish I will happily run the calculation. It only works for parallel springs. Tapered springs are more tricky.

Rate =(wire Dia to power 4 * 1470000)/(coil dia to power 3*no of coils)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom