Softtop Not working Correctly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Green Halo

Car
230 CLK Avante Garde
Hi. I am not sure if this is the best place to post but I will start here.

I have a 2000 CLK Avantgarde convertible. Great car and fun to drive especially in good weather.
Last couple of times I have retracted the top it has stopped midway through the process. The front part of the roof collapses down onto the roof frame and the moptor stops working.
Reversing the direction to close the roof again and then Manually lifting the roof up allows the retracting process to continue until complete with no problems.
When closing the roof the same thing happens in reverse.
Has anyone any idea what might be causing the problem?

Could be low oh hydro fluid, but could be many things. Best thing is get it on star and see where abouts the errors are before you start spending money.

If the front section doesnt stay up by itself. There is a couple of tensioning wires that some times snap on them.

These can be seen by partial pulling the edge of the roof lining down.

If the front section doesnt stay up by itself. There is a couple of tensioning wires that some times snap on them.

These can be seen by partial pulling the edge of the roof lining down.

That was my first thought also, but the OP says the roof slams down halfway through the retraction process so sounds like it gets half way and depressurises.

Yes it looks like the tensioning wire on the drivers side has broken. Or the stop on the end has broken off allowing the cable to break loose.
Has anyone out there fitted these cables. Any tips you could pass on would be helpful.

I have done both sides on mine and its quite easy. Essentially open the roof fully. Remove the unlocking handle and the trim. At the corners there are a few screws that hold the cloth trim in place amd under there is a single 10mm nut that holds the cables in place on each side. I did do a pictoral diy on another forum but i lost all of the images. I am still surprised that is is these that are the cause of your problems as when mine snapped the roof would not hold itself up for the beginning of the process and these cables are not part of the process once the roof has started to retract. The cables are about 85 each side and is a very easy diy job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom