Software update meaning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MKopec88

Car
2015 Mercedes C Class Estate Premium Plus
Hi guys

Sorry for the stupid post BUT I'm super excited for picking up my first merc in 2 days and I don't care if I get bashed for this šŸ˜‚

My car will be coming back from merc with some new tyres and the latest software update.

The shop is closed now so can't ask anyone what it means and I don't want to wait until tomorrow lol

Does that mean maps or something else? My car will be a 2015 Mercedes c class estate premium plus so has the comand online system and all.

Can't wait to post pics of the car in the forums once I pick it up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200929_184401.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929_184401.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 19
Itā€™s meant to give you that warm fuzzy feeling as a customer. In reality itā€™s meaningless without context. Donā€™t take any notice.

It means they ironed out some of the bugs that might cause you to break down...

If your car is a diesel they will have updated for that - plenty of scare stores on here about the impact that has..i doubt very much they will have updated the Command system or maps...

Oh šŸ¤£ here I was thinking they'd be going above and beyond, giving me free goodies lol should have known better.

Maybe they updated my car and I'll be collecting a 2020 c class

Maps only get updated ā€œfreeā€ for the 1st 3 years (if you are lucky and can persuade the dealer to actually do it). After that, they charge for map updates.

The car has several dozens of ECUs, each one has firmware that can be updated separately.

So from the cryptic email it is impossible to say which software they are updating.

With regards the maps, your car will have COMAND NTG5*2, and the latest maps version for it is currently 2020 v14.0. If you didn't agree in advance with the salesperson that the maps update should be part of the deal, than the dealer is unlikely to update it FOC.

See what version of maps is installed in the car (the previous owner may have updated the maps), and if an update is needed then the cost will be between Ā£99 and Ā£199 (ot varies from one dealer to another).

In addition, your car will have the TomTom Live Traffic service, which is a paid subscription, so check if it's still valid (again, the previous owner might have kept renewing it), and if need be then the subscription can be renewed via the Mercedes me website (after creating an account online and registering your car's VIN).

Unfortunately your car does not have native support for Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, though this functionality can be added if required - talk to www.comandonline.co.uk. It will allow you to use Waze (or similar) instead of regularly updating the maps and keep renewing the TomTom Live Traffic subscription.

With regards Dieselgate... is the car a Diesel? If so then the 'software update' (as greenmanslk said) might be a mandatory update imposed on MB which in effect makes sure that the engine's emissions meet the official emissions test results for the type (tests in which MB, like many others, cheated).

Some members on here reported abysmal performance and poor mpg after the update has been applied, as well as excessive consumption of AdBlue, while others reported no noticeable change to how the engine behaved after the update.

At any rate it's academic, because we don't know what software was being updated, and at any rate even if it is the 'Dieselgate' engine software update, then once it is applied MB will not roll it back (they claim that once applied it's locked and can't be removed).

With regards Dieselgate... is the car a Diesel? If so then the 'software update' (as greenmanslk said) might be a mandatory update imposed on MB which in effect makes sure that the engine's emissions meet the official emissions test results for the type (tests in which MB, like many others, cheated).

Some members on here reported abysmal performance and poor mpg after the update has been applied, as well as excessive consumption of AdBlue, while others reported no noticeable change to how the engine behaved after the update.

At any rate it's academic, because we don't know what software was being updated, and at any rate even if it is the 'Dieselgate' engine software update, then once it is applied MB will not roll it back (they claim that once applied it's locked and can't be removed).
I would bet a round of drinks on it being the emissions update. Dealers will do it on every car which enters the workshop which is in-scope - theyā€™re being paid by Mercedes to do it too.

Theyā€™re not being paid to perform any other updates unless the vendor said ā€œupdate everything and Iā€™ll payā€ - which is very unlikely - then I doubt anything other than the emissions update will be applied.

Are we being a bit harsh on Mercerdes instead of congratulating them? YES, I accept the navigation software will not be updated but the COMAND unit MIGHT have an update and yes both engine and gearbox. This is one thing that softens the cost of having the main dealer service our vehicles. There a shed load of things that might have benefitted by the latest update and to highlight how I benefitted.

We purchased our car in early 2004. In late 2004 Mercedes updated the COMAND on new vehicles so that they could play Mp3's. Now usually the manufacturer or dealere would say tough if I moaned about my unit not being able to play this popular music format, but...... The casr went in for a service, had all the latest updates installed and sure enough, cue the Mp3 format. I was a happy, happy bunny.

Hi,
My understanding is they don't update any software unless that particular ECU is causing problems.
The engine control unit software was a recall which was instigated by MB so no charge to the customer and the update fee paid for by MB.
If i was buying again I would insist the maps to be updated, but please dont ask me how to check the version its currently got as I have not a clue I have looked everywhere and cannot for the life of me find it I have NTG 5*2 and according to Markjay is the same as you're new car.
Apple Car Play/Android Auto can be added reasonably cheaply, just a new USB socket box and a software update to the command system, the USB Box was about Ā£75, about 10-15 minutes to fit, then take it to MB for the software update there is specific worksheet for them to follow which updates the car's data card and the command software, if you fit the box yourself I reckon you could get it done for approx. Ā£200ish.

Hi,
My understanding is they don't update any software unless that particular ECU is causing problems.
The engine control unit software was a recall which was instigated by MB so no charge to the customer and the update fee paid for by MB.
If i was buying again I would insist the maps to be updated, but please dont ask me how to check the version its currently got as I have not a clue I have looked everywhere and cannot for the life of me find it I have NTG 5*2 and according to Markjay is the same as you're new car.
Apple Car Play/Android Auto can be added reasonably cheaply, just a new USB socket box and a software update to the command system, the USB Box was about Ā£75, about 10-15 minutes to fit, then take it to MB for the software update there is specific worksheet for them to follow which updates the car's data card and the command software, if you fit the box yourself I reckon you could get it done for approx. Ā£200ish.
Many, many apologies for the long rambling text I am posting but I hope it clarifies something others might not be aware of:

WHY YOU SHOULD UPDATE YOUR MERCEDES SOFTWARE​

Automobiles have always been comprised of a complex system of parts that work together to allow it to function appropriately; this is especially true of vehicles today. Over time, the evolution of cars has progressed into the age of technology. The most advanced vehicle technology, as seen in high-end luxury automobiles and performance autos alike, allows drivers to experience technology in their everyday commutes. Mercedes-Benz is one of the top vehicle manufacturers in the country that employs the most recent technological advances in their automotive engineering and design. Although computers have existed in Mercedes automotive engineering for decades, vehicle functioning and performance is now reliant upon computers and technology more so than ever before. Therefore, just as it is necessary to update your computer at home in order for it to function at its best, Mercedes owners must also commit to updating their vehicle computer software too. It helps to understand why updating your Mercedes software is important, so hereā€™s a little more information on how technology contributes to your vehicleā€™s functioning:

SYSTEMS THAT SOFTWARE POTENTIALLY AFFECTS​

Most of us donā€™t realize how many of the systems in our vehicle are monitored or controlled with technology; just know that there are more than we can name! Of course the obvious software-controlled systems like radio controls, navigation, and temperature control have made their way into the digital age and need updates from time-to-time in order to function at their best. Beyond these obvious systems, you might be surprised to hear that your Mercedes relies on software to effectively manage emission controls, powertrain functions, and even safety systems like anti-lock brakes and airbags. Furthermore, vehicle manufacturers, including Mercedes-Benz have encountered problems that have lead to other recall issues related to the vehicleā€™s computer and software. It is critical to stay abreast of any recalls related to your particular Mercedes, and you can do this by directly contacting your vehicle manufacturer.

NOTIFICATIONS AND COST​

The general public and the average Mercedes driver arenā€™t always notified of available software updates for their vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers have not quite nailed down a good system for notifying their customers about how and when to update software, but, as previously mentioned, occasionally manufacturer recalls are related to software updates. The cost of your software update will be dependent upon whether or not the parts affected are under warranty or not. Software updating is sometimes critical for safety reasons, as it may affect some systems in your Mercedes that could potentially cause an accident if unaddressed over a period of time. Therefore, it is essential for you to be in touch with your Mercedes manufacturer in order to remain current with software updates availableā€”donā€™t wait for them to contact you, especially because manufacturers are notoriously not great at reaching out to their customers about software updates in general.

Does this help:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom