software updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dord1954

SUPPORTER
Car
CLS 320 CDI
Hi I updated my Sat Nav disc a couple of years ago and wonder if there is an update for the cars firmware too? does anybody know and if so is it a DIY job? car is a 2006 CLS 320cdi with NTG1 thanks

Last edited:
The disc will update both the firmware in COMAND and the navigation maps; or at least mine (NTG2) did with the new disc last year.

I assume anything else requires a visit to the dealer to update.

NTG1 update map updates the firmware in the Navigation processor as it is separate from the COMAND
If your car is the Model-Year-2007 facelift then there is no update for the COMAND, otherwise there is an update for that available on one of the mercedes websites somewhere - adds the ability to display ETA on the map screen all the time
If your car is earlier that mid 2006 (and this includes NTG2 cars), there may be a firmware update for the AGW (which is the tuner/amp/gateway, which in NTG1 is seperate but on NTG2 is physically in the COMAND but logically separate)

The AGW update needs Star Diagnosis, so dealer or independent like comand.co.uk with online Xentry/Star diagnosis

Cheers

Richard

ok thanks,I guess that answers my question ok I thought maybe Mercedes would have regular updates to improve things sort of like a windows update but it appears not lol

ok thanks,I guess that answers my question ok I thought maybe Mercedes would have regular updates to improve things sort of like a windows update but it appears not lol

I think the only manufacturer who is there with this is Telsa which do over-the-air updates for the whole car. Everyone else avoids updating any firmware unless necessary in case something goes wrong.

However the others are working hard on this - Mercedes amongst others do over-the-air map updates at least... BMW/Mini allow some navigation system updates to be installed from USB by the end-user.

Richard

may i ask if anyone know how often mercedes relise map updates? i have it done only once in 2014 and been told today it cost around £100 now for my car to have it done, but dont want to process update if new maps are due soon, no problem would be to wait even few months , thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom