Software Updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mav2005

Car
C200 SE
I understand cars come with 3 years free software updates, I asked my dealer and they said they only do SW updates if they know there is an issue. is this correct? SW updates should be done in any case as they might introduce new features, improve performance etc? Like you do for computers. And i am not referring to just the infotainment system, which I believe it now gets updates online remotely, but to the actual car firmware/software (car C200 SE 2018). The response from MB (online chat) '' I have had a look into this for you and we do not carry out regular software updates, the only regular updates that are completed on your vehicle would be for your navigation system. The only time that the software on the vehicle would be updated is if the vehicle had been involved in a recall, which you would be notified about in writing.''

Apparently one of the selling points of getting one's car serviced at a main dealership is that it will receive software updates during the service, no?

My experience is that Mercedes software updates (other than for the infotainment system) fall into two categories:
  1. Updates that get rolled out to the entire model fleet due to a common issue. These flag up at the time the service is booked and get done as a matter of routine;
  2. Updates that address a particular issue that affects only some cars. These get applied only if you report the particular issue and the software update is identified as a fix

I got told the same as you, updates only if necessary...unless you want to pay for them and leave your car here for two days Sir?
I think they operate a “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the free 3 year nav updates the main dealers are reknowned for forgetting unless you check what's already installed, instruct them (pref. in writing) to update it (check with Alfie/Richard at comand.co.uk for what is the most recent update for your car and when it was issued!) then after they've serviced the car - and before you leave the dealer - check what's installed against what Alfie/Richard told you, 'cos it's not unknown to find they've done nothing and/or tell you you already have the latest installed! Installing the update ties up a service bay for 1-2 1/2 hours that they can't bill you for and get pennies from MB for, so they duck and dive unless you're prepared!!

1. As others said, it's the maps update for the COMAND navigation system that are free for the first 3 years. The free maps update is carried-out by the dealer via a USB flash drive during servicing, but only if you remember to ask for it...

2. I do remember seeing a bulletin from MB where they said that they will now update the firmware on the infotainment systems (COMAND and Audio20) on-air, i.e. they car will download these software updates automatically over the built-in 4g connection, but I am not sure as of what model year this applies. If your car has this feature, then the infotainment system will update itself automatically with the latest software (but not the navigation maps, which is a separate update).

3. While the car is under warranty, the dealer will - in most cases - carry-out a software update for free if you have a specific complaint. For example, if you complain about jerky gearshift, the dealer will likely update the transmission software as first step, FOC.

4. Once your car is out of warranty, my experience is that the dealer will happily update the software on any ECU (there are around 30+ odd ones that can be updated....), for a fee. MB Brooklands charge me half hour labour for any STAR updates that I ask for. Needless to say ALL of the ECUs on my W204 are fully up-to-date.... ;)

How can I find out a list of the updates for my car that might apply?

Many thanks.

3. While the car is under warranty, the dealer will - in most cases - carry-out a software update for free if you have a specific complaint. For example, if you complain about jerky gearshift, the dealer will likely update the transmission software as first step, FOC.

4. Once your car is out of warranty, my experience is that the dealer will happily update the software on any ECU (there are around 30+ odd ones that can be updated....), for a fee. MB Brooklands charge me half hour labour for any STAR updates that I ask for. Needless to say ALL of the ECUs on my W204 are fully up-to-date.... ;)

This can be checked when the car is connected to STAR, it will show if there's a newer software version of software for each ECU and offer to downloaded/update.

Thanks.

So if I ask then to check for updates and apply everything they'll do that for half an hour's labour?

Sounds like it's worth doing to ensure it's up to date.

This can be checked when the car is connected to STAR, it will show if there's a newer software version of software for each ECU and offer to downloaded/update.

Thanks.

So if I ask then to check for updates and apply everything they'll do that for half an hour's labour?

Sounds like it's worth doing to ensure it's up to date.
Firstly it may vary from dealer to dealer. Then, in my case (MB Brooklabds) they charged half hour (£60+VAT) to check and update but there were only one or two updates on each occasion, so not sure if they would have charged more if there were many more updates. My car was with comandonline.co.uk prior to that for a few retrofits and they already carried-out a few updates.

Personally I am happy to pay to have the latest software, and I did, but realistically it's only the transmission ECU and the COMAND firmware updates that are likely to produce any noticable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom