solar circuit info please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Braincrank

Car
Mercedes 200E
Hello all.
I'm planing a pump/filter system for my pond .
3 months ago I dug up a part of my garden and and now it's a pond (-:
I built a small pond a few years ago and only had a little solar powered pump/fountain system in it but now that the pond is much bigger (+/- 1200l) I want to install a filter system because I don't want a green , smelly pit come summer.
I'm planning to use 12v . Because apparently that's the lowest current I can use if I want to install a timer. That's what I've heard, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I attach a couple of pics of the components I'm planning to use (or similar) .
If there's anyone on here who's got some knowledge about such things I would be happy to get some advice and suggestions (-:
I've got a shed close to the pond and am planning to stow a 12v battery and the timer and controller in it .

ForumRunner_20170115_164427.jpg

ForumRunner_20170115_164440.png

ForumRunner_20170115_164450.png

Everything depends on how much power the pump takes, and how long you are going to run it for.

Suppose the pump draws 6A (to pull a figure out of the air) and you run it for 4 hours a day then it will be using 24 Ah (amp/hours). So you would need a solar panel capable of putting the same amount of energy back into the battery on an average day - that would be around a 60W panel. The more powerful the panel, the more expensive (and bigger) it is. Obviously your battery would need to be at least 24 Ah capacity as well!

Having a panel with a higher rating than you actually need is no problem (provided it's connected via a charge regulator), but if you have one that's not powerful enough then your battery will run completely flat every day and will never fully re-charge.

Thanks for that!
Am thinking of a car battery.
Haven't looked at pumps yet.

The plan is to run the pump/filter only during the day that's why I want to install a timer.

So for a car battery I need something like this or ideally bigger

ForumRunner_20170115_184515.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom