Solar PV & Tesla Powerwall.

• Thread starter Deleted member 126969
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Chris-S, how long did your FIT tariff take to set up?

Who Hoo.

There now follows months of obsessive app watching :)

What a lot of new stuff I have in the garage.
9ae005dab9bb379d21c21d7a2dfcdd1c.jpg

The Powerwall came with 20% charge, so I’ve already made 40p of the investment back. At this rate, I’ll be a millionaire by Christmas.
[emoji849]

Sadly, it’s not a great time of year for a new install in terms of sunshine is it. Ours produced 1.5kWh yesterday :(. We’ve seen over 30kWh on good days in summer.

Still, with your E7 setup, you’ll be saving straight away won’t you.

Sadly, it’s not a great time of year for a new install in terms of sunshine is it. Ours produced 1.5kWh yesterday :(. We’ve seen over 30kWh on good days in summer.

Still, with your E7 setup, you’ll be saving straight away won’t you.

You might think I’m saving, but the battery controller is “intelligent”, so I need to let it learn for a couple of days before I tell it what to do. It’s painful. And there’s still too much cloud cover for solar today.

I think it’s better to start in winter and see things improve than start in summer and see them decline. That’s what I’m telling myself anyway.

:). Ours came online on 30th June last year, so it was all downhill after that ;)

I really must try harder to find an E7 tarrif when I next renew.

Yesterday was a good day, but nowhere near as good as yours - 7.35kWh. We had sunshine most of the day, but our panels face east-southeast and I’ve now noticed that sunrise is delayed by a low hill to the southeast. I’ve never thought about it before, but it’s enough to keep the sun below the horizon for at least 20 minutes at this time of year.

Happy with 16% self-powered at this time of year though, especially having seen the 4kW draw from our underfloor heating for the first time. The heating was the main reason we went ahead with the new kit - so we can run it for 4 hours in the evening on a combination of solar and economy 7 power. I can’t help but think it would have been cheaper to rip it out and put a new kitchen and better radiators in...

I still can’t tell the Powerwall to charge from the grid yet, but it did a little itself this morning for some reason. Looking forward to being able to change that setting asap.

We were pretty lucky with the roof on this place. It’s cruciform in plan, and the main area is slightly west of south so gets good coverage. We have 10 panels on the main south face plus 2 more on the small south bit on the end, then 3 panels on the east and west facing sections, so we get some sun on some panels pretty much the entire time it’s above the horizon. Looking at the individual panel generation figures suggests we could maybe improve it a tiny bit by moving one or two of them, but not all that much.

Assuming the PW was discharged, it will give itself a little bit of a boost, particularly on cold nights. Is yours set with a 5% minimum discharge? Ours was at first, then after talking with them, they set it to 0 but we had some issues with it cycling between charge/discharge so set it back at 5%.

We were pretty lucky with the roof on this place. It’s cruciform in plan, and the main area is slightly west of south so gets good coverage. We have 10 panels on the main south face plus 2 more on the small south bit on the end, then 3 panels on the east and west facing sections, so we get some sun on some panels pretty much the entire time it’s above the horizon. Looking at the individual panel generation figures suggests we could maybe improve it a tiny bit by moving one or two of them, but not all that much.

Assuming the PW was discharged, it will give itself a little bit of a boost, particularly on cold nights. Is yours set with a 5% minimum discharge? Ours was at first, then after talking with them, they set it to 0 but we had some issues with it cycling between charge/discharge so set it back at 5%.
Not quite sure what you mean about the minimum discharge. Our engineer said that 0% is really 20% to help maintain the battery life. Do you mean yours doesn’t go lower than 5%?

What latitude are you? We’re near Nottingham.

Just had a quick look at the stats from the SolarEdge website, our worst panel produces 60% of what the best one did last year.

Not quite sure what you mean about the minimum discharge. Our engineer said that 0% is really 20% to help maintain the battery life. Do you mean yours doesn’t go lower than 5%?

What latitude are you? We’re near Nottingham.

I thought that displayed 0% probably didn’t mean true 0%, but in a conversation with one of the second tier tech people at Tesla, he said 0% really meant 0%. Seeing how it behaved, and after doing some calculations I believe him. I forget the name they gave it, but there was a known issue when it got to 0% where it would charge itself from grid up to a couple of % then discharge straight back to the grid again, in an endless loop. It did it happen all the time, so I don’t know the exact circumstances that triggered it, but as you can imagine, it was pretty annoying! Limiting discharge to 5% fixed it for me and it’s been at that level ever since. It’ll self-discharge below that with cooling or heating parasitic drains at times.

A little south of you, Evesham area.

I’ll keep an eye on any cycling at low charge. It’s charged from the grid once so far and not discharged to the grid. I assumed it was just in some sort of startup calibration mode...

Edit: Inwas suspicious about the 20% comment, but now that I think about it again, it doesn’t make a lot of sense. 5-10%, I get. 20% sounds excessive. 0% is out of the question, by the way. The battery would last weeks if it were true, but I guess it’s a question of what 0% actually means.

Edit again: 20% might make sense if it’s referring to the theoretical minimum charge of the cells, but they’re probably not designed to discharge anything like that much.

I took 0% to mean usable capacity, not absolutely flat. As you say, they don’t do absolutely flat. They don’t much like 100% either. I don’t know what Tesla consider 0% but it’s certainly significantly less than 20% nominal capacity by the figures I cobbled together.

Without knowing what the system uses for heating or cooling, it’s impossible to work out exactly what the usable capacity is and we don’t even know for sure what the actual pack capacity is, other than the label on the side. It might be stating usable or it might be theoretical maximum?.

Bit of a segue, but should you have any problems with it, first line are OK but not very technical, and tend to assume (naturally enough I guess) that the customer knows nothing, so a genuine issue can take a while to reach someone technical. It took me a few weeks of persistence to get anywhere when mine developed a fault with the coolant pump. Once I was finally in direct contact with the technical team a diagnosis was pretty prompt.

Look at the same way as owning a hybrid MB ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom