solar pv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For those that require the finances and numbers behind solar PV they are represented on this industry standard calculator.

Solar PV (Photovoltaic) Feed-In Tariff Calculator - Discover how much a Solar PV System costs to install and the payback profits from the Feed In Tariff

Punch in your details and you will see an average 7-8 yrs payback based upon some very modest estimations of future energy prices. Those in the know expect far higher future energy costs.

Anyone quoting for your business should have done this and provided the printouts.

If you are staying in your home for longer than the payback time you WILL SAVE money. Until then it's a case of paying upfront for your electricity!

There are many efficiency standards of panel and several different types of inverter available (again different efficiencies)

Companies bidding for your work may well use the cheapest gear so beware.

You MUST ask what make of panels and inverter they are using and have it specified in their quotes. Then go online and do your homework

I deliberately laid off producing any industry figures as I am intrigued how 'johns E350' is going to debunk the various financial models and also the personal experience of people on this forum that already own solar PV installations. I didn't want to influence his answer. However, the figures are there for us to see now and there are many other sources of calcs and info that are independent of the one highlighted by 'Merc Owner 2B' that also agree. So come on 'johns E350' step up to the plate and make a reasoned and well represented argument as to why solar PV is a waste of time in the uk.

As I said in an earlier post, my 4KW panels after year 1 are on track to payback £5K investment in the first 5 years. They are working better than projected by installers and give good generation in winter if only for less hours. I have adjusted my consumption as well, LED lighting, timers on certain appliances etc. In general in daylight hours house is self sufficient in generation/consumption.

Mine are optimally South facing and in consequence on side of house and almost invisible except from next door neighbours gardens. So the look of them does not bother me in slightest.

John, if you had £5k spare money in your bank account you'd get a better ROI with Solar PV. If you don't I would consider borrowing it, ROI greater than cost of capital.

I haven't looked into it in great detail but some of the new systems seem to be offering some kind of storage battery so you can use the electricity generated in the day at night, presumably you can't then apply for the FIT so calculations would be needed to see what's the best option but as previously, the standard system should payback with 10 years easy. ( my panels are on the front of the house but I can't see them when indoors......)

We have panels on south roof slopes but at a fairly shallo pitch. Installation just got in before the tarrifs were cut in Feb 2012.
We have a 3705W array with an SMA inverter.
I undestand that there are better inverters now - individual ones for each panel I think - and I have been told they are more efficient.
Our install cost was just under £8k
Our installers estimate of generation in year 1 was 3132kWh, year 2 reducing to 3097kWh and year 3 reducing to 3062kWh
In year 1 we generated 3379kWh
In year 2 we generated 3721kWh and in the last 2 quarters (Mar - Aug) we have generated a further 2401kWh
Total payback so far £4572.
In our previous abode we had gas heating & general electirc use, the total annual bill for the 2 before we moved was over £1400 (prices for gas & electric have increased since then & I guess wif we were still there we would be paying in the region of £1600/yr). It was a smaller house, but not quite so well insulated & one son was away at uni for part of the year.
We are now all electric and our annual bill is £1100.
So I guess in addition to the pay back we are also getting some free electric too

I haven't looked into it in great detail but some of the new systems seem to be offering some kind of storage battery so you can use the electricity generated in the day at night, presumably you can't then apply for the FIT so calculations would be needed to see what's the best option but as previously, the standard system should payback with 10 years easy. ( my panels are on the front of the house but I can't see them when indoors......)
FIT's are available for battery storage systems. Most early PV were in fact almost solely connected to battery systems (in the pre-grant days). I was fitting these 25 years ago.

We have ours linked to a 1.5kw immersion heater in our hot water cylinder so when generation exceeds a certain level (2kWh) a relay switches on the immersion heater.

camerafodder said:
Its 'their' not 'there'. Please show us all why the financial model doesn't work, the onus is upon you to do so as you are the one damning the industry. Assuming you have installed your PV panels correctly of course. You are suggesting that you work for a company that sells and installs equipment under a false premise, that is quite a serious accusation and was also the point of my remark which you have missed entirely. As for 'not working in winter' I mean the financial model that you seem happy to simply write off with your 'off-hand' comment.

I will chose to spell (there) how I want to thank you. Installing p-v panels is not rocket science I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't like my opinion that's your problem. My company know exactly where I stand on P-V so don't come out with so much crap about mis selling what a stupid statement to make. I can no longer take you seriously as you are a a total idiot

Piff said:
We have ours linked to a 1.5kw immersion heater in our hot water cylinder so when generation exceeds a certain level (2kWh) a relay switches on the immersion heater.

A p-v system heating water is a completely different kettle of fish as this type of system is worth while. I have no problem with it what so ever

camerafodder said:
I deliberately laid off producing any industry figures as I am intrigued how 'johns E350' is going to debunk the various financial models and also the personal experience of people on this forum that already own solar PV installations. I didn't want to influence his answer. However, the figures are there for us to see now and there are many other sources of calcs and info that are independent of the one highlighted by 'Merc Owner 2B' that also agree. So come on 'johns E350' step up to the plate and make a reasoned and well represented argument as to why solar PV is a waste of time in the uk.

Don't get other people to back you up I am sure I will be vilified be others without your help. I stand by what I have said I might be talking absolute crap but that is my opinion. I don't really care if every body on here as P-V it won't change what I think of it
I feel a ban coming on so get in quick

I will chose to spell (there) how I want to thank you. Installing p-v panels is not rocket science I am entitled to my opinion and if you don't like my opinion that's your problem. My company know exactly where I stand on P-V so don't come out with so much crap about mis selling what a stupid statement to make. I can no longer take you seriously as you are a a total idiot
Oh dear

Don't get other people to back you up I am sure I will be vilified be others without your help. I stand by what I have said I might be talking absolute crap but that is my opinion. I don't really care if every body on here as P-V it won't change what I think of it
I feel a ban coming on so get in quick
What a shame that you are incapable of reasoned discussion. Instead you resort to name calling. Opinions aren't much use without facts when you try and force them upon people. I can say my opinion is that the world is flat but it plainly isn't.

I don't need anyone to back me up thanks. I'm an electrical engineer that has worked in the renewables field for nearly 30 years.

camerafodder said:
What a shame that you are incapable of reasoned discussion. Instead you resort to name calling. Opinions aren't much use without facts when you try and force them upon people. I can say my opinion is that the world is flat but it plainly isn't. I don't need anyone to back me up thanks. I'm an electrical engineer that has worked in the renewables field for nearly 30 years.
Reasoned discussion you pick me up on my grammar you have not shown me any facts apart from you stated P-V needs subsidies I wonder why is it because it does not pay for its self. I have not forced my opinion on anyone. But if I have an opinion I will say it as I see it. You will definitely not be stopping me. My next opinion is P-V should be banned as it is detrimental to the appearance and surroundings of anyone's abode.

Just a thought. The saying is ( it is expensive going GREEN )

Reasoned discussion you pick me up on my grammar you have not shown me any facts apart from you stated P-V needs subsidies I wonder why is it because it does not pay for its self. I have not forced my opinion on anyone. But if I have an opinion I will say it as I see it. You will definitely not be stopping me. My next opinion is P-V should be banned as it is detrimental to the appearance and surroundings of anyone's abode.

Please read your own post number 4. This is the basis of the 'discussion'. The OP asked for advice and all you have offered is a nonsensical aggressively worded opinions and then behaved like a teenager who's been caught smoking behind the bikesheds ever since. If you offer an unqualified statement or opinion on this forum, that has an awful lot of well informed members on it then you ought to at least expect it to be challenged.

My next opinion is P-V should be banned as it is detrimental to the appearance and surroundings of anyone's abode.

Why?
Mine is installed on rear roof slopes, is the same colour as the slates below. Bearly visible from my neighbours, due to low roof pitch not intrusive from our garden and can't be seen from the road.
Aerial photo taken during refurbishments showing panels on roof

camerafodder said:
Please read your own post number 4. This is the basis of the 'discussion'. The OP asked for advice and all you have offered is a nonsensical aggressively worded opinions and then behaved like a teenager who's been caught smoking behind the bikesheds ever since. If you offer an unqualified statement or opinion on this forum, that has an awful lot of well informed members on it then you ought to at least expect it to be challenged.

I just have read post 4 and don't think it was aggressive I mentioned the inverter 10 year life & stand by that. I said you won't make money from it & stand by that where is the aggression. I don't want to keep repeating myself but that is my opinion I don't need to be well informed to come to that conclusion. I think I have hit a raw nerve and you possibly have P-V and can not face the thought of wasting money.

camerafodder said:

I have now read my post 4 where is the aggression it not nonsensical only in your opinion but not in mine It is sad that I would need to agree with you to keep you happy well be assured that will not be happening. If you think PV is great good for you. I don't end of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom