solar pv

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm also thinking about changing the HW tank to a thermal store, not sure I have enough space to do it though.

We have a small "buffer tank" which is part of our ASHP/underfloor heating set up. IIRC it is approx 600x600x450 high and sits under our hotwater cylinder. It has a spare immersion heater boss so I could store some heat in there - but, when the sun is shining & generating electric we don't generally need heat in the house.
Our cylinder is also part thermal store as it has an extra coil feeding towel warmers in the bathrooms

Piff, that's interesting. I was thinking of siting it elsewhere, may be dig a hole for it in the garden ! Wonder if that's possible ?

Annual update (it's been a dull 3 months), last 4 quarters:
1192kWh = £600.31
1395kWh = £705.31
633kWh = £320.05
319kWh = £164.32
Total 3539kWh = £1789.99
Last year 3992kWh = £1976.84

Yep. Can't grumble at that. Well worth doing. They'll still be doubters that'll rain on you parade though.

We don't regret our panels. Only regret is not doing it sooner.

Ant.

6 years on, an update for the doubters.
My install cost was repaid after approx 5.5 years by FIT
We are now about 10 years into the scheme and have so far received a total of £19,516 giving a profit so far of £11,583.
But that's not the reason for the thread resurrection.
Does anyone else get their FIT payments from e.on?
They seem to have rebranded to e.on Next. They have changed my meter reading date slightly and instead of paying the FIT directly to my bank account they have sent me a cheque for the latest payment - a bit of a pain to now find an open bank branch to pay it in.
But wait, in the post that day were 2 identical envelopes each containing a cheque for the same amount. If this continues I'm not so bothered by having to make a trip to the bank:banana:

Eon making a fist of an invoice or bill ...... Who would have thought i
We are now about 10 years into the scheme and have so far received a total of £19,516 giving a profit so far of £11,583.
They seem to have rebranded to e.on Next. They have changed my meter reading date slightly and instead of paying the FIT directly to my bank account they have sent me a cheque for the latest payment - a bit of a pain to now find an open bank branch to pay it in.
But wait, in the post that day were 2 identical envelopes each containing a cheque for the same amount. If this continues I'm not so bothered by having to make a trip to the bank:banana:

t.
Eon pay my Tarrif into my account!

Eon pay my Tarrif into my account!
For the last 10 years they paid mine direct to bank account but this last payment was cheque(s) in the post

Most banking apps now allow you to pay cheques in by taking a photo!

I have read this thread with great interest, our system cost about £8000 and we have received approx £15,500 in fit payments so it certainly was a wise investment. Our array is south west facing so not the best until around June onwards but still good.
Any excess energy is diverted to the hot water tank via a Solar iboost so we have lots and lots of hot water all through the spring and summer.
We did have an inverter failure last year though, but its an easy job to change and I bought a SMA 4000kw, all I had to do was change the solar connectors, handy being a retired electrician.
The SMA inverter is more efficient than the old Power One unit, most we produced was 3700w, the SMA regular produces 4200w for short periods.
Our latest FIT payment is now 60.23p Kwh from British Gas paid direct into our bank.
Best day so far this year was 28-5-22 producing 23.9 kwh.
I wonder if "johns E350" still reads these posts.

We’ve recently had a 4kWp array fitted with 7.2kWhr battery.
3 months in and the electricity bill has been reduced by an average of 80% with a good percentage of days buying no electricity at all from the grid. Early days but looking good so far. Pesky standing charge is annoying.
It’s worth it just for the little app that shows you how much you are generating!

I have read this thread with great interest, our system cost about £8000 and we have received approx £15,500 in fit payments so it certainly was a wise investment. Our array is south west facing so not the best until around June onwards but still good.
Any excess energy is diverted to the hot water tank via a Solar iboost so we have lots and lots of hot water all through the spring and summer.
We did have an inverter failure last year though, but its an easy job to change and I bought a SMA 4000kw, all I had to do was change the solar connectors, handy being a retired electrician.
The SMA inverter is more efficient than the old Power One unit, most we produced was 3700w, the SMA regular produces 4200w for short periods.
Our latest FIT payment is now 60.23p Kwh from British Gas paid direct into our bank.
Best day so far this year was 28-5-22 producing 23.9 kwh.
I wonder if "johns E350" still reads these posts.
Hi Geoff
The reason your SMA 4kw works better than your old unit - is because the maximum permitted inverter output under the MCS regulations is 3680W (for an installation without prior permission from the DNO) - so most companies created (or down tuned with software) their 4kw inverters to 3680w to comply with UK regulations.
The 3680w is based on 16a x 230V
There is a possibility that your inverter does not now comply with your original MCS certificate that was issued by your original installer - so this could theoretically cause you problems down the line.
Cheers
Steve

Why hasn't the payment for generating and giving away electricity gone up in line with the cost of buying from the grid.
For me and the majority of other owners It is still 5p / KW when we give it away.

On the plus side, if you look at my system cost Vs money saved from not paying out for electricity, as the price rises it would be paid for in no time..

I guess it’s because incentives are not needed anymore and it’s effectively a monopoly. Excess energy can only go back to the grid, so you are lucky that you are paid anything at all!
About the only interesting game in town is Octopus Agile, where you can buy and sell at instantaneous market rates. A couple of years ago you would have been paid to use electricity off peak but prices at peak would be much higher. People have previously reported being paid to charge their batteries at night and could sell it back the next day at 7 pm for over £2 per unit. I guess things will change as more EVs come on line and you can run your house off the EV battery

I guess it’s because incentives are not needed anymore and it’s effectively a monopoly. Excess energy can only go back to the grid, so you are lucky that you are paid anything at all!
Excess energy can go to storage batteries, Tesla Powewall being one type. Our local council has just started a group buy scheme for those who wish can join up and benefit from significant discounts on purchase and installation (not necessarily Tesla) . So one can still receive payment for excess generated electricity (in my case deemed to be 50% of the total generated) and store it for use later at home. Win, win

Best go to a branch then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom