Solar subsidies to be cut by more than half

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by The _Don, Oct 30, 2011.

1. The _Don

The _Don MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mb
  2. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Interesting if it comes true. Wonder if this is JUST for new installations or will effect all "generators" Despite the supposed environmental advantages the sums any government would have to pay out just didn't add up in today's economic climate.

3. Colin_b

Colin_b MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
    Just new installations, I believe. Starts ending the madness of a supplier selling leccy for 12p a unit, and buying it for 43p with the taxpayer funding the gap.

4. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    Point of order sir! Taxpayer not funding the difference - it's the electricity company (and thier customers...) funding the difference.

5. MOCAŠ

MOCAŠ MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK
    Or put another way: it's the tax-paying customers of the electricity company funding the difference.

6. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    I'd argue that the numbers of people who pay/use electricity is possibly larger than those who pay tax...

3 people like this.
  7. grober

grober MB Master

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Yes its the companies licenced for the FIT Feed in Tariff Scheme who have to pay. :eek: here they are Registered Feed-in Tariff licensed suppliers

I imagine there's been some intensive political lobbying going on quietly for the generating companies to get the payback period extended. :eek: This in contrast to the governments response to OFGEN'S recent report of excessive profit taking of the big generators which was to advise consumers to shop around for a cheaper tariff! Guess they know which side their bread is buttered on?:rolleyes:

8. Colin_b

Colin_b MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250CDI (C320CDI & SLK350, Sold) & the Trusty Citigo
    Fair point. As a purchaser of of electricity, I'd rather not subsidise a blatantly ineffective and politically motivated sop to popularism. It's 'only' £13.50 per customer. Over £1bn annually!

2 people like this.
  9. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    They are looking at removing the subsidy completely as the panels aren't giving the performance that the economics were done on, also the longevity of the panels are no where near what's quoted, performance/output drops dramatically with age

10. clever dicky

clever dicky Active Member

Car:
    Jag
    Im surprised this scheme lasted as long as it did. Quite a lengthy topic on the other side with payback for some installs measured in decades. My old job had some elements of PV research, mostly organic pv and the efficiency is appaling, even for the best available.

Solar heating is a different league entirely with some real benefits.
    Now sadly domestic installs will be less attractive which will at best scupper research & development as sales will plummet.

The real shame is that some local councils had just started investing in solar panels ( pv ) which will now stop.
    Im a keen fan of the idea, but in reality its a bit of a white elephant. I hope there are some breakthroughs soon.

11. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    If you want the full FIT payment get in before 8th December.

It also said consumers considering solar should assume the 21p figure is what they will get if they install after 8 December.

My thoughts closely follow CleverDickey's. PV has only been viable due to the subsidy, but as a product is "difficult", whereas heating of either water, or even better air is a real winner...quick payback, low manufacturing cost and pollution.

It still might be worth shoving 4Kw PV onto the roof though before 8th Dec...

12. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    I presume when you say air, you are talking about Air Source Heat Pumps? Are they really as efficient as they are claimed to be??

13. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Air source heat pumps are approx 300% efficient, ground source approx 400%, however I didn't mean heat pumps at all, but solar air to air heat exchangers.

Air to air exchangers can be about 70% efficient at converting solar radiation into heat and are passive apart from possibly a fan to circulate the air from the space to be heated through the heater.

14. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    All pretty much as predicted 12 months ago ... Perhaps the reduction is a bit steeper than originally thought but FiT returns were always going to reduce year on year.

15. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    For new installations only or existing ones?

16. whitenemesis

Car:
    New installs only. This was to encourage early uptake and not to wait until prices dropped as the Gov has green generation targets to meet by 2013(?)

Existing installs still benefit from the 43.3p, index linked :)

17. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Until 8th Dec. Need to think about this...especially if thinking about an electric car...

18. whitenemesis

Car:
    There's going to be a rush on PV panels!!

From their doc's FAQ

"EXISTING CUSTOMERS
    11. I am an existing customer, how will the proposed changes affect me?

The higher tariff will continue be paid to all existing participants.The Coalition UK Government has made a commitment not to make retrospective changes
    totariffs. This would not be fair to those who had paid higher capital costs for solar PV during theearly stages of the scheme and had made their investment decisions based on the support available."

19. camerafodder

camerafodder MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Touareg V6 Altitude, Toyota IQ2
    Can you substantiate that claim Ian? I ask because not all PV Modules are created equal. I have BP and Sharp modules in operation that I installed 15 years ago that are performing better than expected all these years down the line. Mainstream PV module technology is little changed in 30 years. The real advancements have been made with inverters. Some modules may not be up to muster due to cheapened production methods but others certainly are.

This isn't an inflammatory question by the way, I'm genuinely interested in gathering as much information as possible. :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  20. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    yes, but i am currently travelling but used to work for a company that most of the pv came from. Rather than guess I,ll come back to you later this week with some results:)

1 person likes this.