Sold a defective A45 AMG by Sandown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One possible explanation for a leaking rear seal if we are talking about the rear hatch door seal is body distortion. This may be inherent in the model design due to the extra dynamic body stresses in a high performance hot hatch- the latest version has received considerably more under body stiffening. Renewing the rear seal may effect a temporary cure only for the fault to re-occur in a short space of time. Previous experience may have taught the dealer to avoid getting on this "rear seal renewal" merry-go- round???
Mercedes-Benz AMG A45

and---if the previous owners were in the habit of housing two muddy wet dogs in the luggage compartment this could also be a contributory factor
Hey thanks for the message, well the previous owner did have a dog and take it in the rear which is just crazy. Why would you????

Last owner of my car left a DVD in the car, two receipts for french books, two Mercedes child car seats, a Starguard valet kit, spare batteries for the key fobs, a metal tin with AMG keyfob covers, extra set of cordless headphones and (shh!) every receipt and piece of paperwork for the car from new (for the sake of GDPR that wasn’t there)

I did get a full set of AMG floor mats, but I didn’t get any chocolate, should I complain? :D
Brilliant

I am actually going out right now (12:13h) for a hair of the dog after yesterdays rugby pub crawl. I will skip the chocolate. :banana:

The perished seal might not be covered under the Mercedes Benz Approved Used guaranty, or under the New Car guaranty (if less than 3 years old), but even so, it should still be covered under the Consumer Protection Act.

So Google the Act and check consumer advice websites, then write a letter to the selling dealer principal telling them that they have xx days to rectify the fault, or you will get your nearest dealer to do that and claim the costs off the selling dealer via the Small Claims Court. That should bring them around....

Reactions: ELT
Hey thanks for the message, well the previous owner did have a dog and take it in the rear which is just crazy. Why would you????
Taking it for a walk in the country? Why on earth not? Is the A45 so fragile that one should not put dogs in it?

Taking it for a walk in the country? Why on earth not? Is the A45 so fragile that one should not put dogs in it?

Not so sure it's a fragility issue but rather if the dog caused damage to a new car.

Fine if you like damaged rears seats or enjoying spending money I guess.

I'd put the rear seats down, put a boot liner/tray in, and happily put a dog in the back. Cars are for using, not treating like fragile ornaments (imo - other opinions are available...).

Approved used is only as good as the staff checking/preparing the vehicle.

My uncle bought an E class coupe a few years ago.

I checked it over as he was encountering trouble.

It had been painted on at least 3 separate occasions, all with varying degrees of failure, when this was pointed out, they simply said not our problem.

Drivers seat leather was in terrible condition, that was replaced after contacting MB UK headquarters and arguing for two months.

Various mechanical and electrical faults, almost every one they tried to claim normal wear and tear, on a 4 year old car with 15k miles on the clock.

Most stuff was repaired after much more arguing but this took almost 6 months, by that time he hated the car and sold it, vying to never get a Merc again.

I'd put the rear seats down, put a boot liner/tray in, and happily put a dog in the back. Cars are for using, not treating like fragile ornaments (imo - other opinions are available...).
Yes, but in reality most AMG 45's will be on lease/pcp so best to have a spare £400 car on the drive to pop the hounds in when taking them for a drive to their...walk. Also less chance of the £400 banger getting nicked from the desolate layby you left it in while walking Fido.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom