Somalia / kenya

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The idea actually makes sense. Give people a job, a house, and some assets - maybe a small business - and they have something to loose.

All of a sudden their family and business get more focus than the fanatic zealots who try to convince them that they must stand up and fight for their rights / tribe / religion.

DFID - Mitchell: Increased aid to Somalia will help save lives and make Britain safer

Interesting, they are funding the creation of 340 000 jobs over the next four years, I wonder what their plan for jobs here is?
This lot in Government are no different to the last shower.

All my adult life, all you hear from whichever government is in power is "The last lot were to blame why we're doing XYZ".
"This country is broke"
"We're clearing up the mess of the last government"

Do they think we're that thick and that we won't notice the lies and drivel that they come out with???

Very sad situation , but almost self - inflicted. The idea of a holiday anywhere that you need armed patrols does not appeal to me in the least. Equally , would not wish to place my wife or family in a dangerous area , and cannot see how you would consider such as a holiday .

The idea actually makes sense. Give people a job, a house, and some assets - maybe a small business - and they have something to loose.

All of a sudden their family and business get more focus than the fanatic zealots who try to convince them that they must stand up and fight for their rights / tribe / religion.

Brilliant idea!...where do I sign for it?

Actually, you can't fault their entrepreneurship, helping themselves to supertankers is certainly bold...

Brilliant idea!...where do I sign for it? ...

It's the same as in the UK.

If you want free public money, you will have to sell your Bishops Avenue mansion, quit your lucrative City job, and go move to where poor people live...

Is it this?
Island dwellers fear ruined tourism season after Kenya attack | Reuters

Never personally fancied holidaying in a third world war-zone, but if it floats yer boat...

Or not in this case...
Zanzibar's ferry disaster could have been prevented | Saumava Mitra | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I intended to go to Tanzania and Zanzibar two weeks ago but changed plans at the last minute and would have definitely travelled on at least one of those ferries or a dhow.

Seeing different cultures is part of life.

Anyway, wouldn't you be up for a holiday like This?

Last edited:
Or not in this case...
Zanzibar's ferry disaster could have been prevented | Saumava Mitra | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

I intended to go to Tanzania and Zanzibar two weeks ago but changed plans at the last minute and would have definitely travelled on at least one of those ferries or a dhow.

Seeing different cultures is part of life.

Anyway, wouldn't you be up for a holiday like This?

"Seeing different cultures is part of life"....well, the very, very end part of it in this case unfortunately...:eek:

Living in Nottingham you should take it in your stride.

Yes, it used to be a lot worse before the Gunns went down though, nothing like it was back then.
They did have a young lad found shot to death at the end of my missus' street a few years back (edge of St Anns if you know Nottingham) ...just before the move, that was....:eek:

The fun started about twenty years back when Nottingham Police and council invited a 'reformed' Yardie from the West Indies to advise them on gang culture...and promptly went on a rampage including an armed holdup at an illegal nightclub.
True story

Yes, it used to be a lot worse before the Gunns went down though, nothing like it was back then.
They did have a young lad found shot to death at the end of my missus' street a few years back (edge of St Anns if you know Nottingham) ...just before the move, that was....:eek:

The fun started about twenty years back when Nottingham Police and council invited a 'reformed' Yardie from the West Indies to advise them on gang culture...and promptly went on a rampage including an armed holdup at an illegal nightclub.
True story

One day one of my staff walked round rival gangs fighting outside Burger King on Upper parliament St in the middle of the day....I think only one got stabbed...and the poor coppers at the meadows nick couldn't sit out on the balcony during rests because they kept coming under fire...

Ah, the thrills of Nottingham....:D

Brilliant, the problem is job creation here won't earn "call me Dave" any kudos as a statesman on the international stage.
The similarities between Cameron and Blair are breathtaking, not a principle between them, I've always been convinced either would have joined which ever major party was most likely to provide a powerbase and electoral advantage.

It is an easy and lazy cliché to equate Tony Blair and David Cameron and to say that they are virtually one and the same.

Whatever your views of the former, he was instrumental in radically reforming the Labour party in the mid-90's, confronting the Left that had made them unelectable and re-drafting the party's constitution (abandoning Clause 4).

David Cameron is an old-school (in both senses) Conservative who would be committed to public spending cuts and tax cuts even if the current economic problems didn't exist. He doesn't have a radical bone in his body.

Successive Labour governments brought in the minimum wage (despite Tory opposition), tax credits for low paid workers and schemes like the Sure Start program (now being cut) that helped to give a great many children a chance in life.

Blair had many faults and is now rightly reviled by many but Cameron and Blair are completely different political animals.

It is an easy and lazy cliché to equate Tony Blair and David Cameron and to say that they are virtually one and the same.

Whatever your views of the former, he was instrumental in radically reforming the Labour party in the mid-90's, confronting the Left that had made them unelectable and re-drafting the party's constitution (abandoning Clause 4).

David Cameron is an old-school (in both senses) Conservative who would be committed to public spending cuts and tax cuts even if the current economic problems didn't exist. He doesn't have a radical bone in his body.

Successive Labour governments brought in the minimum wage (despite Tory opposition), tax credits for low paid workers and schemes like the Sure Start program (now being cut) that helped to give a great many children a chance in life.

Blair had many faults and is now rightly reviled by many but Cameron and Blair are completely different political animals.

Animals being the operative word applicable to both. (in the figurative rather than the literal sense, of course)

Yes, Blair (spit) turned the Labour Party into 'Tory-Lite' - only to ensure his own electability (if that's the word), a vile little man without a principle to his name
He also managed to preside over an increase in the 'wealth gap' faster than anyone else in the past fifty years or so
BBC News - Rich-poor divide 'wider than 40 years ago'
A fine legacy for any politician

Last edited:
He also managed to preside over an increase in the 'wealth gap' faster than anyone else in the past fifty years or so
BBC News - Rich-poor divide 'wider than 40 years ago'
A fine legacy for any politician

Wealth and social inequality are huge and deep-seated problems in this country. To be fair, with policies like the minimum wage and the less-successful working tax credits the last Government did make a genuine attempt to start to address these issues. By their own admission they failed to achieve all that they wanted to but I don't see anywhere in the BBC report that says that the wealth gap increased faster during Labour's period in office than it did at any other time in the last 40 years.

Blair's real legacy will undoubtedly be the debacle of the Iraq war.

Last edited:
The thread is about Somalia / Kenya,

it seems to have been hijacked :D
A little 'drift' may be occurring, but hardly hi-jacking?:p

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom