Some home electrical help please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
Afternoon chaps. I'm no sparky.

I have a dead extractor fan in bathroom. It's one that comes on with the light switch.

I have bought a new replacement but before I wire it up....

On the old fan - yellow is taken as the live?

The house red wire is not connected, just taped over.

Mrs P will be so please if I haven't blown the fuse board up when she gets home from work.....

Attachments

• Old fan.jpg
    Old fan.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 42
  • New fan.jpg
    New fan.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 37
The new fan requires 3 connections (Permanent Live, Neutral and switched live) this is to keep the fan running on a timer after the light is turned off.

It looks like your old fan was only wired as on/off since I can only see two wires connected (Switched live and Neutral)

You need a multimeter to correctly determine which are Permanent live, neutral and switched live. You cannot rely on the colours alone

Last edited:
Going by the pics I'd say the yellow is deff the switched live as it's been bridged across to the permanent live side of the fan to make it work,
Ideally u need to find out if the taped red wire is live if so then use it in the permanent connector yellow for switched without the bridge blur for neutral

Thanks. When it was first installed the damn thing ran for about 20 minutes after turning the lights off. We asked our sparky if it could be fixed! Seems that's what he did as it then went on with the room lights.

The red is live - I have just tested it on the cat! It is trimmed the same length as all the others so I guess it went into live first time round.

So, if I put the red to live, yellow to SL and blue to neutral??

Forgive my density.

Thanks. When it was first installed the damn thing ran for about 20 minutes after turning the lights off. We asked our sparky if it could be fixed! Seems that's what he did as it then went on with the room lights.

The red is live - I have just tested it on the cat! It is trimmed the same length as all the others so I guess it went into live first time round.

So, if I put the red to live, yellow to SL and blue to neutral??

Forgive my density.

That would work. It will of course run on after the lights are turned off. This is a building regs requirement for some installations

You should be able to adjust the length of time it runs on for - the 2 shower extracts I installed have that, but can't remember exactly how!

I'm sure u have already done it now sorry for the delay
Yes that is correct
and u can adjust the time it is on for there should be a little twist pot on it somewhere just turn it to the min then turn it up a little that should give u about 5 mins if it stays on longer just turn it down a touch
Just be careful when doing this as some fans have these pot on the pcb which is mains live

Please remember this is a bathroom and the safety rules for the water-proofing of fans is rather important. There are various zones depending where the fan is, and the fan needs certain IP levels depending on the zone.

Denmans Electrical Wholesalers - Suppliers to Commerce, Industry and Related Trades

So, please make sure you buy a fan with the appropriate level of ingress protection for wherever it is going in your room. There are also now some very quiet fans on the market :)

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom