Some info for anyone considering using DMS Automotive for remapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

epicnerdrage

Car
SL55 AMG (2002) MSL Modified
So, my SL55 went to DMS Automotive earlier in the year for a custom remap. My car is a UK 2002 SL55 which should be 476bhp as standard. They carried out a remap and something didn't add up on the figures they showed after (Full original thread is here)

As you can see, members here rightly pointed out at the time that there is no way my car should have hit 552ps with just a remap.

It also got a bit more strange when I contacted DMS recently to talk through options to take the car to the next level, and they flat out refused to work on it, saying that these cars are "unreliable", see thread here about that!

So after all the advice I got here, I decided to take the car to MSL. As suspected, as soon as we put it on the Dyno, the car showed 512bhp, which is far more in line with what you would have expected from a remap only.

So that's it really, just to warn others that it seems that DMS rather inflated their numbers on the Dyno, so just be aware of that if you are going to them for a remap. I'm not saying the map is bad, far from it, the car drove well, but that dyno result was waaay over inflated.

For reference, here is the DMS Automotive dyno (545BHP)
SL55 (1).png

And here is the one from MSL at 512bhp (they work at an 18% power loss from the wheel multiply the figures shown by 1.18)

sl55 (2).png

So yeah, take what you will from this, buyer beware I guess

It also got a bit more strange when I contacted DMS recently to talk through options to take the car to the next level, and they flat out refused to work on it, saying that these cars are "unreliable", see thread here about that!

My E55K, which uses the same drivetrain as the SL55, was impeccably reliable running at around 600BHP courtesy of MSLP.

Maybe they are unreliable once DMS have worked on them...

Bad workman and all that.

My E55K, which uses the same drivetrain as the SL55, was impeccably reliable running at around 600BHP courtesy of MSLP.

Maybe they are unreliable once DMS have worked on them...

Bad workman and all that.
Not gonna lie, I found the whole thing really weird. They were super happy to work on the car at first, they even encouraged me to come back for headers, intakes etc etc. Then when I do call back, they want nothing to do with the car and were really off with me on the phone too 🤷‍♂️

That's a shame some dyno and remapper claims are all over the place coupled with various cars that commonly don't make stock figures , those that do and those who make above .

Always best to get multiples and get a feel for what is real and possible .

Dyno Dynamics are normally very realistic and often heart braking , but there's always room for operator manipulation .

Same car , different dynos .

TFanulr.jpg

CJK8mxF.jpg

Hope you don't mind me asking, what is the typical going rate for dyno run these days?

Was contemplating using them to remap the BM soon , either that or Bootmod3 , and i have read some similar stories regarding their dyno numbers.

I got a quote for the remap from them and it was an "offer" price of around £750 (+£70 fuel for the round trip) , which did include a run on their dyno and updated gearbox software.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom