Some questions about my new-to-me S204 C220CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telebass

Car
S204 C220CDI 2009
First off, here's the new car:
20210216_141112.jpg
Second, here's a view of the tow hitch mount:
20210216_140948.jpg
Question 1: Is that towing arm retractable/removable? Would like to remove it if possible.
Question 2: Car has satnav antenna, but it's not fitted so far as I can see. Audio 20 radio, no DAB. Worth upgrading, or stick to myphone?
Haven't done more than a few miles in it yet. Certainly not as refined as the S211 E320CDI, but seems eager enough. So glad to have the two-stage cruise setting, too.
Very pleased so far!

Your towbar is removeable, but looking at the rust you may have a hard time removing it. The blue bit should push inwards and then rotate about 90 degrees, which releases the towbar. You may need to take the bumper off and soak the complete mechanism in releasing fluid.

That tow hitch thing looks totally different to the factory fit retractable tow bar on my 08 C220 S204. The release for mine is behind the rear NS panel in the boot (where you access the rear NS lights for bulb change etc), it's a twist to release, the hitch drops down, you pull it round into position then twist the release to lock it in place. Back of the memory tells me that the hideaway hitch was factory fit only, so wonder if yours is aftermarket! Must admit that, in the 8 years we've had the car, I've only once dropped the hitch (to see how it works!) and have never used it!

Your towbar is removeable, but looking at the rust you may have a hard time removing it. The blue bit should push inwards and then rotate about 90 degrees, which releases the towbar. You may need to take the bumper off and soak the complete mechanism in releasing fluid.
I think you're right! But at least I now know it will come off, thanks for that.
Looks like you need a front fog as well
New pair ordered!

Nice car.

The Audio20 does not have navigation.

At great expense you could retrofit COMAND NTG4 with the motorised pop-up screen, but it's 15 years old tech that will cost an arm and a leg to fit professionally and will deliver little functionality.

The various Android units will be technologically up-to-date with Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay etc, but they will still be expensive to fit and won't have the original look and feel.

So in short, enjoy the car and just use Waze / Google Maps / Apple Maps on your mobile phone....

Beware if you decide on the expensive Comand retrofit, as early 204's with Comand had a HDD with the nav partition too small for map updates later than 2014-15 (ask me how I know!! It cost me £500 to have my HDD upgraded with 2018-19 installed!!). You'd be better talking to comand.co.uk about a retrofit of a Pioneer or similar unit, or researching on here about "OEM Lookalike units, Chinese" like Erisin.

Nice car.

The Audio20 does not have navigation.

At great expense you could retrofit COMAND NTG4 with the motorised pop-up screen, but it's 15 years old tech that will cost an arm and a leg to fit professionally and will deliver little functionality.

The various Android units will be technologically up-to-date with Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay etc, but they will still be expensive to fit and won't have the original look and feel.

So in short, enjoy the car and just use Waze / Google Maps / Apple Maps on your mobile phone....

Beware if you decide on the expensive Comand retrofit, as early 204's with Comand had a HDD with the nav partition too small for map updates later than 2014-15 (ask me how I know!! It cost me £500 to have my HDD upgraded with 2018-19 installed!!). You'd be better talking to comand.co.uk about a retrofit of a Pioneer or similar unit, or researching on here about "OEM Lookalike units, Chinese" like Erisin.
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll stick with my phone...

One thing that sticks out when driving is that the car is quite rumbly inside. Sounds fine outside. Engine mounts on way out?

Whats the current mileage on the car? They can be a bit rumbly, took me a while to get used to mine.

If it sounds a bit exhaust blow type noise, it can sometimes be the gearbox mount failed, the gear box drops a few cm and puts pressure on the exhaust pipe. causing the noise. easy fix with a popper 4 post ramp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom