Someone running around with my registration plate.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I wonder how they got the reg. of a similar vehicle (presumably the right make/model/colour) that lives hundreds of miles away? Any pictures of yours online showing the plate ... particularly on make-specific owners forums etc.?

It also makes the point that "show plates" (usually bought online to get non-standard fonts/spacing for "personalised" registrations) are not actually such harmless fun. Because they're not legal for road use you don't have to provide any documentation whatsoever, and can have anything you like on them. E.g. a totally legit looking plate, bearing someone else's registration. Simple.

Sorry Neil do not agree, having contacted the company and given them reasons why it will not be paid and also contacted dvla I do not think he has to do anything more.

These companies depend on people paying up quickly, if you write by a recorded delivery letter then you have answered them and no further action imo needs to be taken.

I don’t think bailiffs would take action if they did come to the door and it was explained to them what Had happened

Is a ccj enforceable in Scotland, op lives in north east Scotland I agree alleged parking offence was in England but does Scots law not apply?
Golden.

Why are people so timid when they know they are in the right? It is up to them to prove their accusation, let them take you to court, prove you have been wronged and demand compensation it might just make these companies be a bit more professional in their demands for payment, might even make it uneconomic to pursue people.

Don’t get angry get even!

It's better to be careful and reasonable - that's not timid.

If the parking company backs off then all good and well.

If it doesn't - then maybe get a bit cross withe them.

Instant initial anger isn't necessarily a constructive or optimal approach.

Why are people so timid when they know they are in the right? It is up to them to prove their accusation, let them take you to court, prove you have been wronged and demand compensation it might just make these companies be a bit more professional in their demands for payment, might even make it uneconomic to pursue people.

Don’t get angry get even!
You seem to be more angry with the parking company than the scrote what(sic) stole the reg number.:wallbash:

Sorry Neil do not agree, having contacted the company and given them reasons why it will not be paid and also contacted dvla I do not think he has to do anything more.

These companies depend on people paying up quickly, if you write by a recorded delivery letter then you have answered them and no further action imo needs to be taken.

I don’t think bailiffs would take action if they did come to the door and it was explained to them what Had happened

Is a ccj enforceable in Scotland, op lives in north east Scotland I agree alleged parking offence was in England but does Scots law not apply?

You, are an independent parking charge companies absolute dream

It’s when you reply to these notices, they then take action against you. If it’s not a local
authority/gov/council notice, then I ignore. However, I pay for parking so I rarely have this issue

I.e, the recent Lakes project in Northants (absolute Mish mash of poor planning) resulted in a nearby pub needing parking enforcement bringing in as shoppers were using that car park and walking over to the Lakes to avoid the guaranteed traffic jam. Cue loads of notices, same with some McDonald’s car parks. People ignored them, nobody to chase and they’re dropped. The people that replied, all had to pay

I.e, the recent Lakes project in Northants (absolute Mish mash of poor planning) resulted in a nearby pub needing parking enforcement bringing in as shoppers were using that car park and walking over to the Lakes to avoid the guaranteed traffic jam. Cue loads of notices, same with some McDonald’s car parks. People ignored them, nobody to chase and they’re dropped. The people that replied, all had to pay

The shopping centre itself is lovely though isn’t it Ash, and the walks around the lakes are great fun for those with 2 and 4 legs. :)

The shopping centre itself is lovely though isn’t it Ash, and the walks around the lakes are great fun for those with 2 and 4 legs. :)

It’s alright, my dad absolutely loves it but personally, I avoid the A45 like a plague on my commutes home because of it

They’ve now just passed off planning for building an entrance/exit on Ditchford Lane :wallbash:

The shops and Lakes are great, it’s just that roundabout which spoils it. The addition of Five Guys might (might!) just see me return, but for now I’ll just go to MK

I’m closer to Stanwick Lakes so that suffices for walks with kids and dogs for now, that paired with online shopping goes well. Ha!

It’s alright, my dad absolutely loves it but personally, I avoid the A45 like a plague on my commutes home because of it

They’ve now just passed off planning for building an entrance/exit on Ditchford Lane :wallbash:

The shops and Lakes are great, it’s just that roundabout which spoils it. The addition of Five Guys might (might!) just see me return, but for now I’ll just go to MK

I’m closer to Stanwick Lakes so that suffices for walks with kids and dogs for now, that paired with online shopping goes well. Ha!

Yeah the A45 does seem to suffer around there at rush hour. The addition of Five Guys will be great! Grab a burger and then head for a nice walk ;)

I’ll give Stanwick Lakes a try next :)

Hope you have been well mate?

Neighbour here had the police around to check a vehicle of his as it had supposedly been used as a getaway vehicle in an armed robbery ,said they were welcome to check as he confirmed it was his reg even though he lived 350 miles from the robbery, took them to see the getaway vehicle whereupon the junior cop burst out laughing as it was his farm fork lift truck!

I’ll give Stanwick Lakes a try next :)

Hope you have been well mate?

100% try out SL, I was involved in the construction of it back in the day. Especially great for dog walking :) I’ve been well thanks, good to be back on the forum although it’s mainly the app not working which made me overlook it, but safari works just as good!

100% try out SL, I was involved in the construction of it back in the day. Especially great for dog walking :) I’ve been well thanks, good to be back on the forum although it’s mainly the app not working which made me overlook it, but safari works just as good!

Yeah safari is perfect, that’s what I use too.
Will check it out pal, glad to hear you have been well. :)

So I wonder how they got the reg. of a similar vehicle (presumably the right make/model/colour) that lives hundreds of miles away?

Easier than you think, I looked up the DVLA vehicle check site for a car I used to own, but wasn't 100% sure of the registration number. I put in what I thought it might be and a few other numbers in sequence until I got my exact match. Interestingly every number which was very similiar to mine was still the from the same manufacturer and model. Probably as most new cars are usually registered at the same times each year and the garages must submit block registrations.

Easier than you think, I looked up the DVLA vehicle check site for a car I used to own, but wasn't 100% sure of the registration number. I put in what I thought it might be and a few other numbers in sequence until I got my exact match. Interestingly every number which was very similiar to mine was still the from the same manufacturer and model. Probably as most new cars are usually registered at the same times each year and the garages must submit block registrations.
My thoughts are it would have to be a previous owner or someone with previous specific knowledge of the vehicle. Consider a less common vehicle and try to find a registration for one that is not for sale or listed / pictured on the internet. Pretty difficult unless you physically set eyes on it or have previous photos of it etc. I don't believe there is a publicly accessible database where you can enter a make / model and get a list of registrations.

The same thing happened to my dad earlier this year another C Class ( C180 ) was driving around getting speeding tickets with the same plates as my dad car ( C240 ) you could clearly see in the picture that it wasn't his car the badge gave it away as well as the alloys.

He reported it to the police and they were as helpful as chocolate tea pot but after months of fighting it recording the conversations and correspondents they finally admitted it wasn't his car and the fine went away.

His car used to be mine and is only used now days for school runs ect ... so all they did was see a c class and have plates made, whether that was when he was out and about or on his drive is irrelivent i guess.

I'm sure if they had been driving a car exactly the same as my dads down the model colour and alloys he would have had a much harder fight on his hands.

Side note my dad has a long history with fighting parking tickets living in london all his life and being an ex cabbie if he's in the right he fights it tooth and nail and is ready to go to court from the first phone call ...... and if he's in the wrong he does the same to be a pain there a*se lol.

The same thing happened to my dad earlier this year another C Class ( C180 ) was driving around getting speeding tickets with the same plates as my dad car ( C240 ) you could clearly see in the picture that it wasn't his car the badge gave it away as well as the alloys.

He reported it to the police and they were as helpful as chocolate tea pot but after months of fighting it recording the conversations and correspondents they finally admitted it wasn't his car and the fine went away.

His car used to be mine and is only used now days for school runs ect ... so all they did was see a c class and have plates made, whether that was when he was out and about or on his drive is irrelivent i guess.

I'm sure if they had been driving a car exactly the same as my dads down the model colour and alloys he would have had a much harder fight on his hands.

Side note my dad has a long history with fighting parking tickets living in london all his life and being an ex cabbie if he's in the right he fights it tooth and nail and is ready to go to court from the first phone call ...... and if he's in the wrong he does the same to be a pain there a*se lol.
Oh dear.

OK, here's the plan.

Change the plates officially at the DVLA.

Then, still using the OLD plates on your car, rob a bank.

Put the new plates on, relax and watch the news. It won't be long......

But there is, it just works in reverse.
So there is not a publicly accessible database where you can enter a make / model and get a list of registrations but there are however countless publicly accessible databases where you can enter a registration number and obtain the corresponding vehicle make / model ?. Thanks for clarifying and confirming that for me.

They could always have gone to google images and searched for a certain make/model and copied a number plate from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom