Someone running around with my registration plate.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They could always have gone to google images and searched for a certain make/model and copied a number plate from there
Per my post #10 above "I do not use facebook and anytime I post any pictures anywhere, I ensure to obscure the reg number. The vehicle was unused last year and has only been out on two occasions this year. It is also a relatively rare vehicle and the clone model is a pretty close match."

OK, here's the plan.

Change the plates officially at the DVLA.

Then, still using the OLD plates on your car, rob a bank.

Put the new plates on, relax and watch the news. It won't be long......

..........and if the police do track you down just say " it was markjay's idea, and I can prove it".

..........and if the police do track you down just say " it was markjay's idea, and I can prove it".

Guilty as charged. My real name, BTW, is Michael Caine ;)

OK, here's the plan.

Change the plates officially at the DVLA.

Then, still using the OLD plates on your car, rob a bank.

Put the new plates on, relax and watch the news. It won't be long......
What I have found of interest is that some of the publicly accessible databases retain vehicle data after the above event. Last October, I bought a car for my daughter and when tidying it up, I found old (private) registration plates underneath the displayed plates. My guess would have been that that a previous owner at some point had private plates assigned and then had the private reg transferred to a retention certificate when selling on the car. The retention certificate likely expired as it costs to maintain them and it was not a valuable mark. When entering this private reg number into some of the databases (e.g. RAC and Eurocarparts websites) it would display the correct make and model. When searching on the DVLA's Tax / MOT checking website the registration was returned as not found.
Better to simply use a plate registered to someone else's vehicle, check it is currently MOT'd, taxed and insured then get a show plate made up then run about with it on. Hang on a second......I think I am back to my original post......

Never really thought that the US had better thought through administrative systems, however their system of tags (US registration plates) is more effective than the UK system at preventing my issue. A new tag is issued every time a vehicle transfers ownership. The vehicle identity is tracked through the VIN number (Vehicle Identification Number - who would have thought). The actual tags are issued and manufactured by the local state hence no common method of obtaining "show plates". Individual states then vary on the annual registration and testing requirements but some used to provide you with a sticker which was affixed to your tag to show the vehicle was within a current inspection period and had the equivalent of our tax paid. This has moved to database registration similar to our system it at least some states.

In the UK (and possibly across the EU?) VIN numbers are now somehow considered 'personal daat' and are no longer available to the general public, unless you take a photo of the windscreen in person.

Seems like someone had a wild wet steamy orgy with the GDPR book and this idea is their love child.

In the UK (and possibly across the EU?) VIN numbers are now somehow considered 'personal daat' and are no longer available to the general public, unless you take a photo of the windscreen in person.

Seems like someone had a wild wet steamy orgy with the GDPR book and this idea is their love child.
My favourite phone app, Truecaller, has gone the same way.

Never really thought that the US had better thought through administrative systems, however their system of tags (US registration plates) is more effective than the UK system at preventing my issue. A new tag is issued every time a vehicle transfers ownership. The vehicle identity is tracked through the VIN number (Vehicle Identification Number - who would have thought). The actual tags are issued and manufactured by the local state hence no common method of obtaining "show plates". Individual states then vary on the annual registration and testing requirements but some used to provide you with a sticker which was affixed to your tag to show the vehicle was within a current inspection period and had the equivalent of our tax paid. This has moved to database registration similar to our system it at least some states.

Well I agree and I think a lot of countries have a better system because the UK system is effectively unregulated. Certainly here in LT, and in Germany and no doubt elsewhere, plates are only issued by an approved supplier that will only supply a "pressed" plate against genuine vehicle documents. It totally eliminates show plates being used and the practice illegal fonts and illegal spacing. Here plates have a hologram and a barely visible background design, a bit like a passport page, and I cannot see any show plate company replicating that.

I would argue too that similar changes should also be made to MoT testing where only approved companies can provide testing in a modern and efficient drive through style facility. OK, I know new MoT rules now complicate the issue with immediate stop notices, but in any event many vested interests will argue that it is too late now to implement change, for plates and for MoTs.

Going back to the OP's problem, I can see the obvious value in having a cloned plate to avoid parking and traffic cameras offences but what if the user gets pulled over? Without also knowing the registered owner details (which would be really scary if they did) wouldn't they run a serious risk of having the vehicle immediately impounded? Or is it that these kind of people just don't care anyway. They won't go to prison and will just nick another car and carry on. Sad state of affairs isn't it!

That ran through my mind too - The DVLA advised that they could also reassign a new plate if I so requested. The issue I have is that there is a massive history file on this vehicle and changing the plate screws that up if I come to sell it........

If you keep copies of the DVLA correspondence with your history file there should not be a problem - after all, there would be a similar issue if you put a personalised registration on the car.

If you keep copies of the DVLA correspondence with your history file there should not be a problem - after all, there would be a similar issue if you put a personalised registration on the car.
I have not got any correspondence from DVLA yet. I phoned them and they gave me plenty advice but did not want my details over the phone. They require written and signed communication advising them of the issue. I also sent them a detailed explanation, copy of the parking letters, printouts of the clone vehicle and photos of the real thing too. Sent everything recorded, 1st class keeping all receipts etc.

Last edited:
My thoughts are it would have to be a previous owner or someone with previous specific knowledge of the vehicle. Consider a less common vehicle and try to find a registration for one that is not for sale or listed / pictured on the internet. Pretty difficult unless you physically set eyes on it or have previous photos of it etc. I don't believe there is a publicly accessible database where you can enter a make / model and get a list of registrations.

a thought while I am sat here. Have you ever entered your chassis number onto the forum for anything? Parts look up etc?

Natacha

a thought while I am sat here. Have you ever entered your chassis number onto the forum for anything? Parts look up etc?

Natacha
No chance. I am extremely careful with this stuff. There is just something about publishing any part of identifying data that sends a shiver. Too many intelligent scumball's around looking to use data for their advantage.

Further update - So the police never did find the time to come by and take the details in person but I did email them all the details and eventually they agreed over the phone to place a marker on the registration on the PNC.
I received confirmation back from the parking company that they accepted my appeal and scrubbed the outstanding tickets.
My vehicle will be SORN'd off the road for the winter most likely at the end of this month. It will be interesting to see if I get any further notifications from ANPR events or others. Never received or heard anything back from DVLA which was somewhat disappointing.......

With a bit of luck the cloned car will be stopped by ANPR for driving without insurance or VED..... they'll ditch the cloned plates pretty quickly.

Hopefully they stop them during your SORN period and can remove the marker before you go back on the road with it.

Had my plates stolen few years ago while being abroad. Was bit of a pain in the back to report etc. but since then as a part of my AA travel pack there’s always another set of plates. Just in case :)

What on earth has happened to the 'Innocent until proved to be guilty?'

We get tried in a criminal court and in criminal law guilt has to surely be proved beyond doubt? If they say that is your car and you say it is not, then who is innocent until proved to be guilty? If we were tried for any other offence then the prosecution has to prove the offence, we do not have to prove we did not do something....... 'we did not do' :)

Sadly the motorist is the easy target and unlike any other offence, we are deemed guilty until we can prove we are innocent.

I once arrested some armed robbers and in the boot of their stolen gold coloured Granada they had four sets of plates all relating to gold coloured Granadas. The plates on their car were for the exact make and model they were driving and obviously if you were to believe the information given by the police computer then the vehicle was not stolen!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom