Someone shoot me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tilly

Worryingly I'm looking at a W204 C280 or C350 sport with the idea of actually parting with money :crazy: somethings gone wrong surely?! My current car has been nothing but a nightmare in my eyes.

I really don't know whats going on because some of the cars lines make me cringe when looking at press photos but at the same time with the car in black it will hide a lot of these gaping shut lines and I see some good potential for mods (aesthetically).

The back end is smooth, the profile isn't too bad either but the front end is hideous! After working some magic on the grill, things should be looking up... I really hope build quality is better than last time round. I want something different to mod because every man and his dog has a beemer and what else is in the same range? Only the Audis but as great as they are the image is still quite bland even of an S-Line, FWD would bore me and 4WD isn't rewarding unless it has silly power.

Am I going mad?!

I suggest you re-read some of the recent posts you've made regarding Mercedes to get some perspective!

One thing I've noticed (and I'm the same to some degree) is that you tend to do what you want anyway regardless of the advice people give you on here.

Do you really want advice or just somone to make you feel better about the mistake you might be making? :eek:

thats what I mean, my car has been a nightmare thats why I think I'm wrong in the head with even looking at the car. It's one of the only cars they've released that has actually changed its form in more ways than simply a facelift but at the same time my w203 has been murder.

But that aside what I am intrigued about is what do I "do anyway regardless of advice"?

What have I done besides change the brakes because they were crap and tint the rear windows? I'm at a loss as to what you're referring to...

The 204 is a whole new car chassis upwards etc, and i must admit thet im quite of the looks too.

imho GO FOR IT C350 Sport :)

The problem with the 350 isn't really for cost/residual reasons but more insurance. I know any car will lose a silly amount of money from new but cars are my biggest interest so I'm okay with that although I can't justify the silly costs of insurance premiums I'm being quoted at a young age but they're high for a reason so fair play which means it's a kind of cross your fingers and hope for the best scenario!

As I said, have a re-read of the threads you've started - there are quite a few to reflect on - you wanted to facelift the C class - dump it for an Alpina - even buying the car to mod most people advised you not to but you did it anyway - which is entirely up to you of course!

Most recently you had a fair amount of advice regarding the guitar you wanted and ended up doing your own thing. People don't mind taking the time out giving you constructive criticism or advice from experience but will become reluctant after a while if it goes in one ear and out of the other ;) .

I didn't buy the alpina. My car has nothing more than tinted windows and fast road discs and pads so hardly modded out of control is it?

Sorry this is off topic a little but just to clear this up Stats... none of it went in one ear out of the other. I'd asked for help finding guitar that needed to fill a specific criteria which most of the guitars mentioned weren't right for the job. I do appreciate everyones time and help on it but they just weren't to suit my playing style, no floyds or EMG's etc etc thats all and I didn't want to be spending hundreds upgrading the electrics afterwards.

Last edited:
have lost your moonlighting jobs as BMW and Audi reps???

I didn't buy the alpina. My car has nothing more than tinted windows and fast road discs and pads so hardly modded out of control is it?

Sorry this is off topic a little but just to clear this up Stats... none of it went in one ear out of the other. I'd asked for help finding guitar that needed to fill a specific criteria which most of the guitars mentioned weren't right for the job. I do appreciate everyones time and help on it but they just weren't to suit my playing style, no floyds or EMG's etc etc thats all and I didn't want to be spending hundreds upgrading the electrics afterwards.

Some of you may or may not know I'm a guitarist and I've spent the day shopping about for a new axe but its all come to an anti climax Need you guys to chuck some ideas my way. I play mainly rock, pop rock, bits of metal but nothing really OTT and some 80's guns n roses and similar so I need some strong tones to pull it off! I'm really struggling because I'm a fussy bugger!

Basically my criteria is:

1. Must have a bridge humbucker - preferably AMG active pickups
2. I would 99% want either a set neck or through neck for tone and tuning reasons but would look at a bolt on if it was th guitar of my dreams
3. No scratchplates, bleurgh! Something with a figured top, crazy natural wood, flame or quilt mape, just something that stands out.
4. 22 frets is a must but 24 would be even better
5. Must have a genuine floyd rose or a decent hardtail but I'd rather have a tremolo if poss.
6. Budget is up to £900 new so I know I'm asking for quite a lot!
7. I play mainly lead but would like something comfortable to hammer out a few rhythm sections!

As an idea, I was looking on websites and came across this:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=140

I was instantly drawn to it and it seemed to be everything I wanted but today I went to the soundcontrol store in salford, they didn't have one of these particular guitars in stock but they had about 20 schecters there and they just didn't look the same quality as what I was expecting, in the pic it looks immaculate! I don't know if its just me but I didn't want to risk ordering one and being disappointed with the build because it's a lot of money and they're the only schecter dealer I can find.

Come on guys throw some ideas at me!

You asked for alternatives and ideas - the EMGs and Floyd rose weren't essential :confused:.

All I'm saying is sit down and think about things rather than blow hot and cold with ideas.

yes I did ask for alternatives and Ideas and said the floyd etc wasn't essential but were a big preference, I'd rather have at least one or the other in regards to my preferences if I'm spending close to a grand rather than something completely random with none of my "wish list" components whatsoever like a PRS! Again I asked for IDEAS, I was given some and I thank everyone that gave me their input but I was happy with a guitar I later found myself that was yet to be released because I was searching and shopping for hours, I don't see what's wrong with that...

Wind your neck in ey mate? ;)

Last edited:
yes I did ask for alternatives and Ideas and said they weren't essential but were a preference, I'd rather have at least one or the other than something completely random with none of them whatsoever like a PRS!

My point entirely - in one ear and out of the other :rolleyes:. A PRS comes with a hardtail or a tremolo, 22 or 24 frets or indeed EMG pickups if you so wish. If you really were interested in other people's opinions you may have looked into it further but like I say - you dismissed it and went and bought something you've never even played.

someone is forgetting the price range of the average PRS is well in excess of £2k so yes they would go in one end out of the other because what use is that to me unless I saw it as a good investment? if it was to have a tremolo note I said it MUST be a floyd

This is going WAY OT but again - you weren't interested in looking into it. PRS' are available from £300 new if you're happy with a non-USA model - or most can be bought for £1k - which is the same amount of money as you spent anyway? My point through all of this is that I think you've already made your mind up before you started this thread - any advice you receive you'll ignore as you've always done.

How many non SE or copy PRS guitars do you see there for less than a grand that suit my needs? AND they're mainly second hand?

http://musical-instruments.search.ebay.co.uk/PRS_PRS_W0QQcatrefZC11QQfromZR8QQsacatZ33045

I didn't need to look into it, I know the values of PRS guitars from when I used to work for guitar world a few years back where guitars were stocked from westfields all the way up to custom shop relics etc.

I have been out of the field for a while hence asking for ideas, I DID look into PRS guitars but any decent quality ones ie. non SE models were way out of budget or tatty.

Point proven. Moving on, lets keep this on topic eh fella?

Last edited:
Personally, I think the current C class is one of the most beautiful modern saloons ever designed. Front end especially. But heh, we are all different.

Where I do agree with you is there really is only the choice of Merc or BMW if you want a luxury, proper front engine -rear wheel drive car. Depressingly limited choice. And since the wretched Chris bangle spoiled the once superbly classic look of BMW's, I find them very unappealing. Which gives me a choice of one. Sounds like you are there too.

If you are thinking of buying new, best await the new model????
If buying nearly new, there are star bargains around. The diesels offer amazing performance nowadays. Really it is a complete turnaround from days gone by, when diesels were slow and noisy. Now the 3 litre cdi in the E class (called 320cdi) is actually faster 0-62 etc than the 3.5 litre petrol model. Amazing. And less upsetting for insurance companies??? Certainly better resale and lower servicing costs. Not to mention fuel!

:) :) If I don't like the looks of a car, then I won't buy it. If I don't like the local dealers, then I will not use them, thus ruling out a specific marque.

If you like the looks of the W204 and can afford both to buy and run it, then go for it, but any niggles you have now might only get worse once you have bought the car.

I have looked at replacing our E-class, but nothing out there had that Ooooooh factor, I have now taken out the Service Plus contract and will probably wait until the new E-class comes out.

One of the joys of owning a Mercedes is they don't age and turn into 'old' cars. To me they always have that certain look that Lexus :D :rolleyes: will never have :D :D (Tongue in cheek slight humour)

Do NOT buy a new car simply because you want a new vehicle. Buy a new car because it rings bells that have stopped ringing :) :). Have you a private, or cherished number on your present vehicle? That will remove its age and then perhaps give you time to look at any new models that might be coming out.

Good luck with the decision,
John

Got it in one re the front engined RWD thing BUT I haven't given up hope on BMW, the E92 coupe has grown on me although the cab makes me cringe, a 330i (when the engine is released) or 335i in M sport trim (again when releasded) will be of interest although the price is a bit worrying, you don't get as much for your money nowadays...

In regards to the looks of the Merc, I wouldn't buy one til I'd seen one in the flesh, my only real niggles with the 204 are the gaping-like shut lines visible on mercs site, whether this is just a bad photographical representation is yet to be seen... but either way I believe a black car will remove this visual "issue" which leaves only one hate, the merc badge in the grill is a little too big, I do like grills in that style but it still has to remain closer to the lines of subtlety not OTT but until they're on the roads and I see one in the flesh I cannot say 100% but it is very rare I look at a car and don't pick fault with the aesthetics. Sean you're going to love me for this even though I winge about them ;) The CLS for example... what the f*ck it's meant to be I don't know... a bird? a plane? or just a pink fluffy giraffe? I really don't know but they are quite pleasing on the eye (bar the nasty wood dash ;) see! I had to pick fault somewhere)

And John... re the dealership, my major issue is because of my age they cannot give me a courtesy car so the problem lies in inconvenience and lack of time. When the time comes I will only be a few months off being eligible for a courtesy car so that's a big bonus and opens up the services of other dealerships (thankfully!)

Last edited:
As with any newly released model they will all be problematic and have glitches until two half years after their release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom