Someone smashed in to my parked car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DebMac

Car
A class
Hi, someone smashed in to my parked 2017 A Class just before NYE. It’s still in a compound till at least Monday so it’s a horrible wait to see if it will get fixed. Does anyone think I need to start drawing up a shortlist incase it’s written off? I’m gutted! I’m not sure if there was damage to the far wheel too 557D2A68-E904-4378-A5C0-0CCF28841E97.jpegAB9F8541-4588-4A25-AC29-5235BAD9C8D4.jpegAAFAD839-0322-48C1-BA44-D95365ACD0A7.jpeg

Well the photos are not the best but it looks like two door skins/doors,the door post looks ok and so I would say it will repair

Yes it wouldn’t let me upload the full pictures so the quality looks pretty crappy! Ok - thanks for the info!

Welcome to the forum, shame your first post is not a happier one, hope you get things sorted :thumb:

Yes looks like suspension damage also.

Welcome to MBClub. Sorry to hear your news, although based upon the photographs I believe there’s a good chance that it will be repaired.

From the photos I can’t see any clear damage to the sills, front wing, or rear quarter panel - except for the damage immediately ahead of the rear wheel.

Fingers crossed you get the outcome you want. It might be worth getting recommendations for bodyshops in case your insurer will allow a preference.

Whereabouts are you?

The rear wheel was bent as it has shunted into the kerb 😞

ive only had it since October so still had Mercedes breakdown cover so they originally took it to a Mercedes approved body shop. My insurer wants to take it somewhere else- or pay an extra £200 excess to keep it where it is. The reviews of the place they use are shocking so I’ve opted to pay it- and hopefully get it refunded! I’m based in Liverpool and it’s going to Merseyside car hospital - cheesy name, I know 😂

I don’t know if writing it off and starting again is the best option as I’ve only had it a couple of months and it just seems tainted now 😩

The rear wheel was bent as it has shunted into the kerb 😞

ive only had it since October so still had Mercedes breakdown cover so they originally took it to a Mercedes approved body shop. My insurer wants to take it somewhere else- or pay an extra £200 excess to keep it where it is. The reviews of the place they use are shocking so I’ve opted to pay it- and hopefully get it refunded! I’m based in Liverpool and it’s going to Merseyside car hospital - cheesy name, I know 😂
Good move, I would leave it at the Mercedes Approved body shop too.

I don’t know if writing it off and starting again is the best option as I’ve only had it a couple of months and it just seems tainted now 😩
Being at a Mercedes approved body shop is likely to be more expensive than your insurer’s preferred body shop, so it’s more likely to be written off.

Insurance repairs are much more expensive than if you’re paying privately, so cars get written off easily. At a Mercedes approved body shop I suspect you’re close to that point, but not necessarily “past” that point.

I must say the damage is weird,it looks like a truck has reversed into the side of this parked car,the car is worth around 12 grand,two doors needed plus the rear nearside wheel is damaged possibly some tracking to sort out plus the paint,doubt they will write the car off.

I must say the damage is weird,it looks like a truck has reversed into the side of this parked car,the car is worth around 12 grand,two doors needed plus the rear nearside wheel is damaged possibly some tracking to sort out plus the paint,doubt they will write the car off.
Apparently there was a two car collision that went into my car - all I have is a log number I don’t even know if they’re insured! There is cctv though, thankfully.

Sadly, I think there's a good chance it will be written off.

Firstly, the initial quote will almost never be the same as the final cost (once the garage starts dismantling it, further damage might be revealed), and insurers take this into account.

Then, when the insurer write-off a car, they get to sell the damaged car, and the income from that will off-set some of their losses.

So if the car is worth (say) 12k, and they recon they'll sell it as is for (say) 3k from Copart, then they have 9k of equity in the car. If the initial repair quote is (say) 7k, they'll prefer to write it off.

I take it the police came and they will have the other cars details,your insurance company will act on anything the police have so a good move to have the mercedes approved crash repair do the repair,hope it all works out ok.

Bad luck Deb. Not the way to see in the New Year.
Hopefully the damage isn't severe enough to write off the car, but don't be surprised if it is.

Regarding the body shop and your insurer. I was under the impression that you can have the work carried out at your choice of body shop, not the insurers preferred one.
This website shows how you may be able to avoid the excess your insurer wants to charge you for using your own repairer.

Sadly, I think there's a good chance it will be written off.

Firstly, the initial quote will almost never be the same as the final cost (once the garage starts dismantling it, further damage might be revealed), and insurers take this into account.

Then, when the insurer write-off a car, they get to sell the damaged car, and the income from that will off-set some of their losses.

So if the car is worth (say) 12k, and they recon they'll sell it as is for (say) 3k from Copart, then they have 9k of equity in the car. If the initial repair quote is (say) 7k, they'll prefer to write it off.
This looks realistic to be fair, doesn’t it 😞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom