Someone smashed in to my parked car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I take it the police came and they will have the other cars details,your insurance company will act on anything the police have so a good move to have the mercedes approved crash repair do the repair,hope it all works out ok.
Yes they left a note with the log number so at least it wasn’t a hit and run, and everyone involved was ok. Thank you - I’m sure it will in the end!

Bad luck Deb. Not the way to see in the New Year.
Hopefully the damage isn't severe enough to write off the car, but don't be surprised if it is.

Regarding the body shop and your insurer. I was under the impression that you can have the work carried out at your choice of body shop, not the insurers preferred one.
This website shows how you may be able to avoid the excess your insurer wants to charge you for using your own repairer.

Thanks for the info I’ll have a read up. The original claim handler was adamant I had to use their preferred choice but when I called back today the guy I spoke to said I can use any body shop, though it’s an extra £200 excess and I lose my right to a courtesy car as this would now be down to the new bodyshop place to provide. I will definitely see if there is a way round that though as you should be entitled to use who you want, especially when it’s not your fault.

Regarding the body shop and your insurer. I was under the impression that you can have the work carried out at your choice of body shop, not the insurers preferred one.

Different rules apply when you are claiming off your own policy, and when you are a third party making a claim off someone else's policy.

In the former case, the T&Cs in your policy apply, and many insurers will have an additional excess fee imposed if you decide not to use one of their own repairers.

In the latter case, you are simply entitled to full restitution, no ifs and buts. And the insurer can't impose any costs on you, in fact they are obliged to refund any cost you had - e.g taxi fare to the garage and back, cost of rental car etc.

Sadly, in this case the OP is claiming off his own policy, so the former (rather than the latter) applies.

Different rules apply when you are claiming off your own policy, and when you are a third party making a claim off someone else's policy.

In the former case, the T&Cs in your policy apply, and many insurers will have an additional excess fee imposed if you decide not to use one of their own repairers.

In the latter case, you are simply entitled to full restitution, no ifs and buts. And the insurer can't impose any costs on you, in fact they are obliged to refund any cost you had - e.g taxi fare to the garage and back, cost of rental car etc.

Sadly, in this case the OP is claiming off his own policy, so the former (rather than the latter) applies.
Very frustrating that I am not given any of the details of the people involved to claim off their insurance rather than my own!

Apparently there was a two car collision that went into my car - all I have is a log number I don’t even know if they’re insured! There is cctv though, thankfully.

Sorry, I missed that! I thought it was hit-and-run.

You shouldn't be claiming off your own policy... you should be claiming directly off the other party policy.

You should let your own insurer know that you are logging a 'notification only' call so that they have a record of the incident, but that you are not making a claim and that you do not want them invloved.

The police should give you the licence plate and name of insurer of the other party. You should call the other party's insurer directly and submit a claim as third party.

They will arrange a rental car for you ASAP that you can keep until your car is fully repaired, or until you get the write-off payment from the other-party's insurer.

The most important thing you should be doing right now is get the other car's VRM and insurer details from the police.... without it, you may end-up with a very expensive claim off your own policy, because your insurer will see this as hit-and-run.

The most important thing you should be doing right now is get the other car's VRM and insurer details from the police.... without it, you may end-up with a very expensive claim off your own policy, because your insurer will see this as hit-and-run.
I’ve asked for their details and they said they could not due to data protection?! Do I need to call back and ask again? I did think this was a strange way of doing things. The police just told me to give my insurance the log and they can sort it out that way.

I’ve asked for their details and they said they could not due to data protection?! Do I need to call back and ask again? I did think this was a strange way of doing things. The police just told me to give my insurance the log and they can sort it out that way.

Odd - I had a similar incident last year, someone crashed into my wife's car while it was parked outside the house, the police gave me the name of the driver, his mobile phone number, the VRM, and the name of the insurer (they took the driver away in the back of their car... I think he failed a breath test).

But in this case see if your insurer has the info? All you need from them is the VRM and the name of the other party's insurer. You can then call the other-party's insurer and submit the claim directly with them. They will deliver a similar-size rental car to your home address within 24 hours.

(They will not want you to get the rental car via an accident management company, because it will cost them much more).

Odd - I had a similar incident last year, someone crashed into my wife's car while it was parked outside the house, the police gave me the name of the driver, his mobile phone number, the VRM, and the name of the insurer (they took the driver away in the back of their car... I think he failed a breath test).
I’ve just rang the police again and they’ve just said they can’t give me any details my insurer has to request it with the log reference. I’m so confused about how I’m supposed to handle this! I don’t see how esure getting their information makes any difference as I need it to claim.

It looks like I am expected to claim off my insurance and then they recoup from the third party insurer as they will only give them the details of who hit me. Ridic.

Well get onto your insurer and say you want to claim off the other persons insurance and they have the details so you want them to claim against them.

Your insurer will want to take the easiest /cheapest way (for them, not you) so insist that it is a no fault claim and you expect all your costs reimbursed.
I had an accident a few years back where a car hit me. Clearly entirely their fault but insurance company wanted to do "knock for knock". I had to pursue through legal assistance and other party caved two weeks before it was due in court. All the evidence (photos, sketches, witnesses etc) was available on day one so very disappointed the insurance company made me work so hard doing what I consider to be their job.

It looks like I am expected to claim off my insurance and then they recoup from the third party insurer as they will only give them the details of who hit me. Ridic.

This is poor practice.

- your claim is actually against the other party and not their insurer
- your insurer doesn't have to have anything to do with the claim where there is no caim against you
- not everybody has comprehensive insurance (either they legitomately self-insure or may only have third party cover)
- data protection should have nothing to do with such a situation

You could contact Mercedes Benz Accident Management for advice:

Potentially, if you let them handle the claim, they might be able to obtain the other-party's details from the police (using the leg ref) or from your insurer.

If you call them they should be able to advise what can be done.

I wouldn't normally recommend getting an accident management company involved, because it will inevitability inflate the cost of the claim, but if the police and your insurer are being difficult then this might be your best bet.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I feel like I’m being shafted here 😂 I’ll ring my insurer first thing tomorrow - I just hope it’s not too late for me to stop the process and get it sorted the correct way

Just had an almost identical situation with the father-in-law’s Jaguar XF - currently waiting for the assessors report but I think it’s safe to say it’ll be written off...🤔
66B8F8B0-5D21-4E1C-9038-BB42A82F5D9F.jpeg

Just had an almost identical situation with the father-in-law’s Jaguar XF - currently waiting for the assessors report but I think it’s safe to say it’ll be written off...🤔
View attachment 106895
Bloody hell pal! Hope it wasn’t a hit and run?

Nothing like some ***** going into your car... Unfortunately does look like It may be written off I had a similar incident my car was only damaged at the rear quarter panel and was nearly written off

Bloody hell pal! Hope it wasn’t a hit and run?
No mate, the bloke hung about and gave his details and was very apologetic.

It was the father-in-law’s pride and joy too, he loved that car...😔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom