Someone smashed in to my parked car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It looks like I am expected to claim off my insurance and then they recoup from the third party insurer as they will only give them the details of who hit me. Ridic.
You're only 'required' to do this as insurance companies want you to 'claim' off your insurance first, and then they reclaim from the third party. Thereby you have a claim against your name and your insurance premiums go up. It's a total scam but they get away with it by making it difficult.

MarkJay has offered superb advice here, and if you search for ealier posts by his username, he goes into a bit more detail about how to do this. He knows, because he has gone through it.

This comes down to a choice of either:
(i) just push it all through your insurer because it's easier for them to deal with, but you might be stung with '£200' additionals like you've found, an excess payment, certainly increased premiums for X years (so propably a few grand in total); or
(ii) stick up for your rights, be persistent, get your insurance company to get the vehicle registration and insurance company name (if that's the difficult way the police want to play it) and then contact the third party insurer. This is of course hassle though.

You could trying phoning the police at a different time, or if it's a call centre, phoning back, and hoping that you speak to a different person. You could politely suggest that the VRM and the insurer if known to the police, does not represent any personal data, and therefore is not protected under the data protection act. You are not asking for any name, address, phone number etc. You might get a sympathetic ear. I'lll admit that this is a long shot, as in my experience police and their support staff can often be found to very much liking the power they can wield, and can be purposefully obstructive just because.

I had an accident a few years back where a car hit me. Clearly entirely their fault but insurance company wanted to do "knock for knock". I had to pursue through legal assistance and other party caved two weeks before it was due in court. All the evidence (photos, sketches, witnesses etc) was available on day one so very disappointed the insurance company made me work so hard doing what I consider to be their job.
This is often the case when it is the same insurance company vs. the same insurance company (or part of the same group, so it might not immediately be obvious with the names).

If they can get claims off both of you, that's 2 lots of excesses they've gouged, 2 lots of increased premium increases etc.

(insurance company head office rubs hands together, smiles, and waits for cash to roll in)

You're only 'required' to do this as insurance companies want you to 'claim' off your insurance first, and then they reclaim from the third party. Thereby you have a claim against your name and your insurance premiums go up. It's a total scam but they get away with it by making it difficult.

MarkJay has offered superb advice here, and if you search for ealier posts by his username, he goes into a bit more detail about how to do this. He knows, because he has gone through it.

This comes down to a choice of either:
(i) just push it all through your insurer because it's easier for them to deal with, but you might be stung with '£200' additionals like you've found, an excess payment, certainly increased premiums for X years (so propably a few grand in total); or
(ii) stick up for your rights, be persistent, get your insurance company to get the vehicle registration and insurance company name (if that's the difficult way the police want to play it) and then contact the third party insurer. This is of course hassle though.

You could trying phoning the police at a different time, or if it's a call centre, phoning back, and hoping that you speak to a different person. You could politely suggest that the VRM and the insurer if known to the police, does not represent any personal data, and therefore is not protected under the data protection act. You are not asking for any name, address, phone number etc. You might get a sympathetic ear. I'lll admit that this is a long shot, as in my experience police and their support staff can often be found to very much liking the power they can wield, and can be purposefully obstructive just because.
Thank you this is really helpful.

I do have a problem in it was a two car collision that hit my vehicle - so at the moment I don’t know which party I would have to claim from as they are both not accepting liability apparently. I was told there is cctv though. Would I have to wait for that to be sorted before I can start my claim off their insurer? Such a mess and I only have a hire car till Tuesday which also is hanging over me as I really need a car for my 40 mile round trip commute

Cat S I'm affaid Debs .

At least you have evidence etc .

Some people wake up / arrive at their totalled car and don't have a thing .

Deb - seems that you have never been involved with such matters.................we all have to start somewhere!

There has been some good advice shared to date. You are also starting to see the "low hurdles" ie Police will not (vs cannot) share the details of other parties insurance companies .............the fact that both are denying liability is itself going to be "fun" eg who will you claim against.

Suspect that you have a few choices
  1. you handle and drive this matter yourself, if have time and PATIENCE
  2. allow your insurance company to take lead - you will then be "making a claim"
  3. allow an accident management company to take the lead - "MB" seem to be as good as any
If you have someone who is experienced in this matter to help guide you (forum members will always try and help) then you may go with option 1. Do not underestimate the time/calls/emails/visits/documentation that is involved. Also, some insurers are very slick and sadly take advantage of someones inexperience.

Deb - seems that you have never been involved with such matters.................we all have to start somewhere!

There has been some good advice shared to date. You are also starting to see the "low hurdles" ie Police will not (vs cannot) share the details of other parties insurance companies .............the fact that both are denying liability is itself going to be "fun" eg who will you claim against.

Suspect that you have a few choices
  1. you handle and drive this matter yourself, if have time and PATIENCE
  2. allow your insurance company to take lead - you will then be "making a claim"
  3. allow an accident management company to take the lead - "MB" seem to be as good as any
If you have someone who is experienced in this matter to help guide you (forum members will always try and help) then you may go with option 1. Do not underestimate the time/calls/emails/visits/documentation that is involved. Also, some insurers are very slick and sadly take advantage of someones inexperience.
I’ve never had to make a claim in all my years of driving so this is new territory!

I don’t have the time or the patience to do it myself, or the confidence either.

i’m wary about these traffic management companies after doing some reading up last night. I do have hire car cover with my insurance in the event of loss so I don’t think I need to go down that route? It looks more likely that I’m going to have to make a claim on my insurance. I’m going to try again today and get their details but it’s not looking good. I don’t know why the police left the log details on my windscreen but not the details of the people who hit me. Only saving grace is that I took out gap insurance so at least if it is a loss I’ll get back what I paid and can start again, just with higher insurance 😒

On the premise that only one of the two cars involved actually came into contact with your own car, I would pursue the insurer of that vehicle. They can then try and recoop their cost from the other driver's insurer, but at this point it won't be your problem any more.

In the event that one of the two drivers does accept liability, then you can claim against that party's policy even if their car didn't actually collide with yours. But since this does not appear to be the case, I would advise that you claim against the driver whose car made contact with your parked car, and let their insurer deal with the liability issue.

Thanks again!

I’ve made progress - I’ve rang the police back again and got the name and number of the Constable who attended the crash so I can call him when he’s on duty tomorrow. They wouldn’t disclose the vrm or insurer details to me, but hoping he may help me when I speak tomorrow. They just told me that my insurer can request details from their crime ref etc as I’ve already been told.
I’ll be interested to know why they didn’t get anyone to leave their details as it’s an offence not to - hoping this will give me leverage.

I think you either have to leave details, or report to a police station, so looks like they went with the latter.

It makes no sense to me that the individual who suffers the damage cannot have the reg number and insurer, but your insurer or a claims management company can? If processing the claim yourself, you have as much right and legitimate need to that information as your insurer or anyone else processing the claim on your behalf under subrogation. But getting you legal entitlement enforced by taking the police to court to get the information you need is again just stupid blocks that are needlessly put in your way.

Given the blocking by the police due to administrative rules, and the CCTV and lack of acceptance of responsibility, and that you say you don't have time for this, it sounds like you have two choices .

An accident management company as suggested above. I would explore this urgently due to the complexity of the situation.

Or just claim through your insurance and accept that you'll be a few grand out of pocket over the next few years. If this is your preferred route, take comfort that you can afford the loss as others will be in less fortunate positions.

I think you either have to leave details, or report to a police station, so looks like they went with the latter.

It makes no sense to me that the individual who suffers the damage cannot have the reg number and insurer, but your insurer or a claims management company can? If processing the claim yourself, you have as much right and legitimate need to that information as your insurer or anyone else processing the claim on your behalf under subrogation. But getting you legal entitlement enforced by taking the police to court to get the information you need is again just stupid blocks that are needlessly put in your way.

Given the blocking by the police due to administrative rules, and the CCTV and lack of acceptance of responsibility, and that you say you don't have time for this, it sounds like you have two choices .

An accident management company as suggested above. I would explore this urgently due to the complexity of the situation.

Or just claim through your insurance and accept that you'll be a few grand out of pocket over the next few years. If this is your preferred route, take comfort that you can afford the loss as others will be in less fortunate positions.
Would the accident management company claim against their insurance in the correct way? I’ll give them a call today and see what they can do.

The massive bills for hire cars that I could be eligible for really put me off traffic management companies.

I had to attend court with a barrister to argue over credit hire costs as they are called in relation to a car supplied by an accident management company. The money was eye watering to say the least. I had a golf GTD as a like for like replacement for my Jaguar XJS.?????????????? The repair took three weeks, the hire company failed to collect their car for ten days after I picked my car up and then added that to the bill. The judge just threw the whole thing out of court, as I left the two barristers were discussing fees for the mornings work with the judge £1700.00 added to the £6000.00 already on file.

I had to attend court with a barrister to argue over credit hire costs as they are called in relation to a car supplied by an accident management company. The money was eye watering to say the least. I had a golf GTD as a like for like replacement for my Jaguar XJS.?????????????? The repair took three weeks, the hire company failed to collect their car for ten days after I picked my car up and then added that to the bill. The judge just threw the whole thing out of court, as I left the two barristers were discussing fees for the mornings work with the judge £1700.00 added to the £6000.00 already on file.
Yes I’ve read some stories this morning! People having to send wage slips etc to prove they couldn’t afford it. Madness!

This is why I don't generally recommend using Accident Management companies... but if you have no choice, then at least try using a reputable firm - one can only hope that MB run an honest service.

Good morning everyone. Really good news. I have spoken to the on duty police man who has given me all the details of the people involved, and the person at fault has admitted liability. My insurance claim is now down as notification only and I am in the process of claiming off his insurance. Must’ve been pretty bad as he is going to court for reckless driving. Thanks for encouraging me to be persistent and get details as I probably would’ve just left it in the hands of my insurer. Now to see if she’s going to be repaired or not.

Good morning everyone. Really good news. I have spoken to the on duty police man who has given me all the details of the people involved, and the person at fault has admitted liability. My insurance claim is now down as notification only and I am in the process of claiming off his insurance. Must’ve been pretty bad as he is going to court for reckless driving. Thanks for encouraging me to be persistent and get details as I probably would’ve just left it in the hands of my insurer. Now to see if she’s going to be repaired or not.
Excellent! Hopefully means a lot less grief for you.

Good news! I hope you get the outcome which is best for you - if it will be repaired then make sure that you have it done where you want it done, and don't be fobbed off with availability of courtesy cars - if I recall correctly when you're claiming from someone else their insurer will need to meet the cost of a suitable replacement for as long as is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom