Someone smashed in to my parked car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
what do you want to delete?
I had a question about credit hire car but then I got the answer. I’m worried about being stung but the t&cs came through and it says on the agreement the insurance company will be paying :)

Yes but they can still dispute the charges and then it gets messy. If it is all straightforward you should have no problems, if there are any delays with the repair time they will try and drag the car back. This happened to a neighbour of mine when her car got delayed with a parts not available problem.

I hope I never have to do this again! 😂 everyone thinks I’m mad not going through my own insurance - sick of explaining myself!
Well, good on you for sticking to what you are legally entitled to and not taking unecessary expense by rolling over.

Most people simply can't be bothered and won't admit to others (or possibly themselves) that taking a proactive approach can save you probably thousands of pounds in the long run. They don't want to understand because then they don't have to contemplate whether they should do the same if faced with a similar situation in future.
People understandably want life to be as easy as possible, so if someone is in a fortunate position, then they can basically choose between less hassle and ££££ cost, vs hassle and not spending ££££. This is cost avoidance, not cost saving.

Yes but they can still dispute the charges and then it gets messy. If it is all straightforward you should have no problems, if there are any delays with the repair time they will try and drag the car back. This happened to a neighbour of mine when her car got delayed with a parts not available problem.
First of all they said I didn’t have to sign anything, but because of issues they’ve had to use a accident management company - it looks like it’s part of their company looking at the website. I didn’t know whether to say I wanted a hire car without signing documents as first agreed. I just don’t want a massive bill coming in that’s not my fault.

You will not get the bill, the other party will get it. My other parties insurance kicked off over the cost and tried to wriggle out of it by saying I had delayed the return of the hire car by having extra work done on my Jag while it was in the body shop. I did have extra work done after the back end was repaired, but the invoice had already been submitted. They actually had photos of my car still in the body shop taken after the hire car had been returned. This was work that I was paying for and had jack all to do with the claim. I was driving a loan car belonging to the body shop.

hope I never have to do this again! 😂 everyone thinks I’m mad not going through my own insurance - sick of explaining myself!

You shouldn‘t need to explain yourself; simply say - “Because I want to.”

I have a lot of sympathy for you in this situation but you’re getting good advice here and not claiming on your own insurance will save you many £££.

Claiming directly off the other-party's insurer has additional benefits - you're in control of your side the process. I've seen cases were bizarrely the insurer decided to go knock-for-knock - or even accept liability(!) - and if your insurer does that, it seems that there's nothing you can do about it (withiut spending ridiculous amounts of money on layers). So my advice is that if the other party accepted liability, then don't use your own insurer - sadly they have the capacity to mess things up for you.

We should soon hear if the car has been written off or not.

Probably for the best. I'm not sure I'd want the car back after the magnitude of the smash it has had. I'd always be wondering if they had repaired everything correctly, or if something would rear its head later down the line that would be more headache. e.g. slight tracking issue that eats through a tyre on one corner.

Probably for the best. I'm not sure I'd want the car back after the magnitude of the smash it has had. I'd always be wondering if they had repaired everything correctly, or if something would rear its head later down the line that would be more headache. e.g. slight tracking issue that eats through a tyre on one corner.
I feel exactly the same!
Just trying to get a short list together now as I’d like another grey a class the same spec, but I think I’m going to go for a bigger engine this time

Just trying to get a short list together now as I’d like another grey a class the same spec, but I think I’m going to go for a bigger engine this time
If you can afford to, I'd advise going for a W177 (the current model) A-Class, which is a much nicer car in pretty much every respect.

Estimate to fix my car is £9k + vat. Guess I’ll be waiting for that settlement figure now
Do some homework on the prices of a replacement - and be prepared with some evidence push back at the insurer if necessary to get a higher settlement.

If you can afford to, I'd advise going for a W177 (the current model) A-Class, which is a much nicer car in pretty much every respect.
I could - but it would be a basic SE model and I’d rather have the amg line premium that I had

Not a bad result overall, but what a nightmare for you to get there.......glad that your perseverance paid off!

Just rang to see how my claim was getting along and they mentioned they’d valued it at £300 more than what I paid, but someone will call me back got discuss. I should take it and run?

Well look online at where you bought the car and other places and make certain the prices have not gone up,call it lock down fever but people are buying cars they cannot test drive and prices have hedged up a little,you mentioned you wanted the bigger engine model,now is the time to look hard for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom