Something else to clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeeJV

SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes C63 AMG editon 507
Excuse this as a double post on my build thread, but as it's a detailing subject I thought I'd post it here too

One of the biggest areas of the car that doesn't get much attention is the undercarriage, so before the car goes in for some other work I've made a start working on the areas can get to on my driveway

A recent pic was taken of my car at a show, then realised the poor condition of my exhaust

IMG_20211013_170801_059.jpg

On close inspection its just heavy oxidation and some surface rust,
20211029_130014.jpg

So out with the tools and equipment.

You don't actually need any chemicals or polish to do this apart from the inside of the tips to remove carbon buildup. So inside the tips Labocosmetica Cronos, teamed up with some scotchbrite or wire wool.
For the exhaust all you need is a drill or rotary tool, a dremal for the tight areas with some radial bristle discs available in different grades, you want rust remover cut to start removing the surface oxidation then heavy cutting wheel to get a good finish. You can go even finer with polish if you want but its not really needed.

20211029_160202.jpg

Once fully cleaned to a standard I was happy with, 2 coats of some KKD R Evolve wheel coating to help maintain all the hard work

20211029_160315.jpg

IMG_20211030_180046_219.jpg

Now the rear section is done I'll do the mid section when the car goes in to have the coilovers fitted while its on the lift for a good few hours.

Whilst the wheels were off I decided to give the barrels a good clean and polish them to a high satin finish as they looked a little tired.

20211030_120814.jpg

Using a medium Scotchbrite to knock them back a little then followed up with a fine cutting polish on a 3"DA and a mini DA for the areas around the wheel weights, then finally finished off with some KKD R Evolve Matte wheel coating.
20211030_145055.jpg

That's it for now guys, I'll be back soon with some more updates when she goes in on the ramp.

As always, thanks for the interest and feedback 👍.

Excuse this as a double post on my build thread, but as it's a detailing subject I thought I'd post it here too

One of the biggest areas of the car that doesn't get much attention is the undercarriage, so before the car goes in for some other work I've made a start working on the areas can get to on my driveway

A recent pic was taken of my car at a show, then realised the poor condition of my exhaust

20211029_130014.jpg

You don't actually need any chemicals or polish to do this apart from the inside of the tips to remove carbon buildup. So inside the tips Labocosmetica Cronos, teamed up with some scotchbrite or wire wool.
For the exhaust all you need is a drill or rotary tool, a dremal for the tight areas with some radial bristle discs available in different grades, you want rust remover cut to start removing the surface oxidation then heavy cutting wheel to get a good finish. You can go even finer with polish if you want but its not really needed.

20211029_160202.jpg

Once fully cleaned to a standard I was happy with, 2 coats of some KKD R Evolve wheel coating to help maintain all the hard work

20211029_160315.jpg

Now the rear section is done I'll do the mid section when the car goes in to have the coilovers fitted while its on the lift for a good few hours.

Whilst the wheels were off I decided to give the barrels a good clean and polish them to a high satin finish as they looked a little tired.

20211030_120814.jpg

Using a medium Scotchbrite to knock them back a little then followed up with a fine cutting polish on a 3"DA and a mini DA for the areas around the wheel weights, then finally finished off with some KKD R Evolve Matte wheel coating.
20211030_145055.jpg

That's it for now guys, I'll be back soon with some more updates when she goes in on the ramp.

Love the dedication 👍 can you do mine please ? 😁

Love the dedication 👍 can you do mine please ? 😁
😂, your not the first to ask....
Winter is here, so plenty of time to get all these done before spring

20211029_130014.jpg

20211029_160202.jpg

20211029_160315.jpg

20211030_120814.jpg

20211030_145055.jpg

I don’t believe you only need a drill and some pads to do that. If you do it to my car then I might believe.

;) :D

I don’t believe you only need a drill and some pads to do that. If you do it to my car then I might believe.

;) :D
Honestly buddy, I spent years doing this on our race bikes exhaust system and frames etc, stainless steel doesn't need any polish, aluminium on the other hand does.

Honestly buddy, I spent years doing this on our race bikes exhaust system and frames etc, stainless steel doesn't need any polish, aluminium on the other hand does.
Your defensive reply means that believe you even less. The only way to convince me now is to do it to all of my cars, anything less won’t cut it!!

😁😁

Wow, the cars just lovely and how you keep it clean, you are the master :thumb:

Thanks mate.
It's become a little obsessive tbh
so, are you doing a wash Wednesday as well as weekend? that's when i know I'm getting obsessive 😵‍💫

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom