Something for the weekend, sir: "Where does your accent come from?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
This little quiz from the "New York Times" tracks down your UK and Eire accent pretty well

The British-Irish Dialect Quiz

(It is safe to click - it takes you to the New York Times)

Did this test earlier and came back as Kingston upon Hull which is about 50 mile away.

Interesting colloquiums though during the test, I find them fascinating.

I've just completed this and it put me as being from the Liverpool/Cheshire/Stoke areas. Pretty good as I'm from the Liverpool area. Good fun!

It got me close enough as an area near Manchester where I grew up even though I haven't lived there for 40+ years.

It showed a fairly wide area for me, but mainly where I’ve lived.

Having been in the Forces, and moved south by a previous employer, not surprising, I suppose!

It got me down to the home counties, no doubt it was a bit flummoxed by me being raised in Essex/east London by very Irish parents.

It had very wide areas for me - most of which I haven't lived in.

Anywhere from Bounemouth across to mid Norfolk - including most of Essex! A bit disconcerting as I was born on SE London and grew up in Kent - where we now live!

It kind of got me (Oxford), but I had to think about terms I used before moving up Norf 30-odd years ago.

Has me down as living in Brighton and the SE including London.
Partly correct as I was born in London but haven't lived there since I was 5
Been in Poole Dorset for over 60yrs now so I'd say its a fail in truth.

Well it took dome time but placed me generally between Glasgow, Dumfries and Ayr.
Well I’m an Ayrshire lad so it’s bang on target.
Now where’s that Wean got tae. !

200 miles out. But that's because I'm now posh, innit.:)

Bang on, soft lad!

:) it got me, Liverpool, (moved to London when I was 14, and not many can place my accent -vaguely northern)

Mine was fairly close. Very clever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom