Something strange happened to new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E280wilson

Car
Bmw 435d
Hi everyone.
I've now done 2000 miles in my new E350. When I was leaving work in Friday I started her up then locked up my office. I proceeded to drive down the Farm road and noticed it didn't change gear. Now I only travel at 10 mph as its a stone road ( half a mile long ) once in the road it still didn't change gear, even manually. It didn't restrict my speed. After another half mile I stopped and turned it off, started it again and all was fine.
I haven't reported it yet but will ring on Monday.

I know the diesels hang on to the revs a little when the car is first started and the ambient temp is low , this lets the exhaust and its associated parts / sensors get up to temp a little quicker.

Kenny.

I know the diesels hang on to the revs a little when the car is first started and the ambient temp is low , this lets the exhaust and its associated parts / sensors get up to temp a little quicker.

Kenny.
As consolation, It sounds even worse in the 4 cylinder diesel that I have ;)

cheers, Steve

No not a thing. It's never done this when its been colder. It was about 6 deg C on the day.

Does it have flappy paddles?
Could you have accidentally knocked it into 'M'?

When I had my C320 cdi the same thing happened to me. I too switched off and restarted. Fault never came back in 100k miles.

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/members.atra.com/resource/resmgr/webinars/722.9_intro_web.pdf

Rumour has it MERCEDES have changed their "limp home " mode to a "fixed gear " mode where in the event of a problem the transmission is locked in third gear. There is no warning on the dash. This may occur if the transmission control unit receives an "out of range" or signal failure from one of the many sensors in the transmission. Switching off and restarting has the effect of rebooting the gearbox ECU taking it out of lock mode. If the sensor signal was spurious or some weird software glitch then everything is then OK. On the other hand it may be a warning of some impending failure. Only time will tell. I suggest you monitor the situation for a while and meticulously record any further recurrence to present to your supplying dealer?

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/members.atra.com/resource/resmgr/webinars/722.9_intro_web.pdf

Rumour has it MERCEDES have changed their "limp home " mode to a "fixed gear " mode where in the event of a problem the transmission is locked in third gear. There is no warning on the dash. This may occur if the transmission control unit receives an "out of range" or signal failure from one of the many sensors in the transmission. Switching off and restarting has the effect of rebooting the gearbox ECU taking it out of lock mode. If the sensor signal was spurious or some weird software glitch then everything is then OK. On the other hand it may be a warning of some impending failure. Only time will tell. I suggest you monitor the situation for a while and meticulously record any further recurrence to present to your supplying dealer?

That's good information, however note that the ECU will have logged this 'event' so don't be afraid to take it into MB and ask them to have a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom