Something to be aware of

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It costs more to replace some armco on the M61 in Chorley than on the Nurburgring!

WTF, how can they charge you for that, what is the road license for ? This country is becoming a real scam for motorists, £70 for fuel yesterday, not to mention, insurance, repairs, etc. The government in this country have lost complete leadership, they are letting companies and people, charge wtf they like for repairs. You should try claiming for a damaged alloy due to pot holes! Its all one sided here, people who are law abiding and pay in get nothing, people who come here with sweet fa, seem to get everything. It really is taking the proverbial when they charge you for skidding, I think I would go to court over it, I wouldn't pay it. This country is falling apart bit by bit. Possible power outages by 2015 due to EU ruling shutting down our power stations, I just cannot see other countries putting up with this $hit, come the revolution brothers and sisters, we shall inherit. Ok rant over, sorry about that, but this country does *iss me off at times. grrrrr

WTF, how can they charge you for that, what is the road license for ? This country is becoming a real scam for motorists, £70 for fuel yesterday, not to mention, insurance, repairs, etc. The government in this country have lost complete leadership, they are letting companies and people, charge wtf they like for repairs. You should try claiming for a damaged alloy due to pot holes! Its all one sided here, people who are law abiding and pay in get nothing, people who come here with sweet fa, seem to get everything. It really is taking the proverbial when they charge you for skidding, I think I would go to court over it, I wouldn't pay it. This country is falling apart bit by bit. Possible power outages by 2015 due to EU ruling shutting down our power stations, I just cannot see other countries putting up with this $hit, come the revolution brothers and sisters, we shall inherit. Ok rant over, sorry about that, but this country does *iss me off at times. grrrrr

Hope you feel better now :)

it cheered me up. I do see the point. AND. what about that bloke being fined for throwing an apple core into the hedge!?!?!

I am not sure this is as new as the story claims. Several years ago (2007-08 ish) I used to audit the accounts of a company that operated a number of HA road maintenance contracts, and they always had a 'damage to crown property' receivable which was mainly amounts billed to insurance companies of individuals involved in collisions. The amounts charged were based on the usual schedule of rates used throughout the contract so naturally would include some profit margin.

The person featured in this article must have been a fairly unusual case as she had a minor accident=no insurance claim, but the police were involved and therefore the contractor knew who had caused the damage. 9 times out of 10 they would not know whom to pursue in a case like this - from memory there was an arrangement to share the cost of unrecoverable repairs with the HA.

If you do cause real damage then yes fair enough you should pay for it that what car insurance and liability cover is for. If however you cause nothing more than a scrape then they have no real right to expect the common motorist to pay for it , this is where car tax funds are meant to be spent but let's be honest we all know the British government just take most of that money and waste it on things like a Olympic stadium or fixing their second homes up.

If you do cause real damage then yes fair enough you should pay for it that what car insurance and liability cover is for. If however you cause nothing more than a scrape then they have no real right to expect the common motorist to pay for it , this is where car tax funds are meant to be spent but let's be honest we all know the British government just take most of that money and waste it on things like a Olympic stadium or fixing their second homes up.

It is of most importance that them second homes are looked after ;)

If its going down this route then it should just be a flat nominal fee they charge rather than having invoice discrepancies.
I would say in most cases you could find a reason to blame the HA for why you crashed in the first place then claim compo from them. Turn it round on them.

Fair play, I'm sending the Highways Agency an invoice for £480 to cover the cost of my new tyres that their roads have worn out..

Can I ask- if the woman indeed lost control of her vehicle and collided with "some part of the motorway" then why doesn't she claim on her insurance? That's what it should be for. The problem as far as I can see is the failure yet again of insurance companies to question/investigate the veracity of these multitude of claims forwarded to them by third parties/highway agencies/ car hire companies/ ambulance chasers but chose to simply pass on these escalating costs to their policy holders. Its all part of the same syndrome . The office of fair trading appears to agree with me. BBC News - Car insurance market referred to Competition Commission this is long overdue

WTF, how can they charge you for that, what is the road license for ?

If you do cause real damage then yes fair enough you should pay for it that what car insurance and liability cover is for. If however you cause nothing more than a scrape then they have no real right to expect the common motorist to pay for it , this is where car tax funds are meant to be spent

You obviously like paying EXTRA to cover other peoples issues. RFL is to cover generall road building/maintenance, etc. Not accidental or deliberate damage.
The woman in the article hit the barrier, thus should pay.

People like Sheila question why individual drivers should have to pay anything. "It makes me wonder what our taxes and road tax actually go on?" she says.

Can I ask- if the woman indeed lost control of her vehicle and collided with "some part of the motorway" then why doesn't she claim on her insurance? That's what it should be for.

Exactly right.

Are we proposing a charge by the NHS for patching up people who are involved in RTCs?

It's the same principle.

I dont understand why people are surprised... if you crash on the motorway then your insurance company will be billed for any damage caused...

When I was a kid, my cousin lost control of our sierra on the A46, it spun and hit the barrier several times... We ended up facing the wrong way looking at lorries charging at us... One of those memories you dont forget.
Anyway, our insurance went up massively the next year, when we enquired, the cost of replacing those sections was something like £4k..... this was back in around 1990.

Not quite sure why the original lady's insurance werent billed- guess all they had was her number plate so the bill was sent to her to begin with...

Are we proposing a charge by the NHS for patching up people who are involved in RTCs?

It's the same principle.

That already happens if there is an insurance company to claim off, which there should be if all are insured.

Not quite sure why the original lady's insurance werent billed- guess all they had was her number plate so the bill was sent to her to begin with...

They bill the driver, it's up to them how they cover the cost.

25 years a go a friend crashed his motorbike and was billed about £125 for ambulance attendance.

Basic Road Traffic Act insurance covers all claims from others, including Crown.

I don't like my insurance rate being high because of the idiots but if its a genuine accident then there isn't much to say other than bump their policy not mine :p

I don't like my insurance rate being high because of the idiots but if its a genuine accident then there isn't much to say other than bump their policy not mine :p

So you would rather pay more Tax instead...???:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom