sommat me and a friend was talkign about earlier

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samuelellis, Feb 13, 2004.

1. samuelellis

samuelellis Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    rover 218 diesel k reg (want a merc but cant afford)
    me and a freind were talking cars as his dad just bought a fully loaded lexus and ai said how come you didnt get a mercedies?

he said there too common now

what do you reccon, do you think the fact that mercs now appear in every rnb or hip hop vidoe as da bling mobile for da mad pimp to go flexin in and the car warehouse places anyone any car they could want for 50p a day for the rest of there lives has hurt mercedies image?

i personally think it has and like a merc has become more of a status symbol than a good drivers car

what are yout thoughts (and dont say its friday nite i should be out gettign drunk, i dont go out)

2. Kinky

Kinky Hardcore MB Enthusiast

You could argue they are common.

However - do you want a 10 year old fully loaded well-cared for merc for £3k or a 10 year old anonymous Ford/Vauxhall/etc ......

No brainer every time.

I would say our cars are more looked after than the average motor on the street - therefore as a result - run longer - therefore looks like there's loads on the road.

As for the recent/current models - I can't say I've noticed a particular increase.

K

3. vito113

vito113 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    One that's too slow…
    … common?

If you want 'common' try Germany, Umpteen Thousand E Class Taxis can't be wrong!

A Mercedes may be common but I think Lexus's (or is it Lexii), tend to be a bit vulgar, just check out the number with the gold plated badge/trim option… yuck!

It's noticible that the Japanese Yakuza drive big black Mercs, not Lexus's, the Japs know class when they see it.

As a friend of mine put it rather nicely "Lexus… A Mercedes for people who can't afford a real one".

I generally find the only people who call a Mercedes common are either (1) people who don't have one, or (2) people who can't afford one.

Andy

4. fuzzer

fuzzer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    F25 X3 20d SE
    BINGO :) hehehehe :bannana: :D :D :bannana:

5. Simon

Simon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 Proper gearbox
    I think you mean a popular choice.

6. RichardM

RichardM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 CLS350 CDI
    I used to love saying I drove a Lexus (very Alan Partridge I know) far more than I do saying a Mercedes. They really are great cars, totally reliable and with all the options fitted as standard. They are becoming very common now too, and most of the range are looking dated. They outsell Mercedes and BMW in the US.

7. Ian B Walker

Ian B Walker MB Club Veteran

Car:
    300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
    On a serious note I tend to agree. Being the owner of a so called old Merc I lavish more attention to that than I have done to any other newer vehicle that I have owned. I get a sense of well being when behind the wheel. I also notice other people looking at it, brings on a nice rosey feeling and makes me smile. Its not a status symbol but a way of life. I rest my case. ;)

8. OP
    OP
    samuelellis

Car:
    damn i fall into both catagorys

unfair :(

9. Kinky

Depends on if it's silver or not.

Silver is common
    Colour is the intelligent choice.

K

[grabshiscoatandrunsandtakesmrwalkerwithhimbeforehesayssomethingtoo]

10. lotusmark2

lotusmark2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
    Well lets see how you get on giving your beloved a necklace made of solid green or blue for Valentines day...........no thats because Silver is by its very nature precious and appreciated by those that know quality :D :D :D

11. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    Well done Mark - very true:D I'd much rather have a SILVER MB than a blue necklace any day:D - this year got to make do with some very stylish red lillies;) :D

As for the serious subject - MB's are very popular around here, so are BMWs and Porsche, see some Lexus' but not that many. Although they are a nice car - apparently, they are still just a posh rebadged Toyota.

Most of the MB's in this area are SILVER too so it goes to show, the more discerning go for class everytime:D

12. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    At 3.40am:eek: :eek::eek:

Intelligent folk were tucked up in bed - I have come to a conclusion....You are half hamster:D :D or an insomniac - and this in your defence perhaps goes some way to understanding your lack of colour appreciation:D

13. RichardM

RichardM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 CLS350 CDI
    7:40 in the morning on the weekend most intelligent would be in bed!

14. Kinky

Mark and Pammy - you're so shallow and fickle :rolleyes: We all know that Gold is far superior to Silver. And of course Gold is a wonderful colour - unlike shiney grey :p

As for posting at silly times of the morning .... so of us work you know.

Then again - some of us fall asleep on the sofa and wake up at silly times of the morning.

Needless to say - I'm not saying which of the above I fall into ..... ;)

K

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  15. sportyreptile

sportyreptile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    96 W210 E36 AMG
    Have to agree with Mr.Walker on this one, I just bought a 9 year year old E280 W124, it's been really well looked after and I intend to do like wise. It's my first Mercedes and I'm well pleased. I've had company cars since 1987, just changed jobs which did not provide a car, so looked at newer Jappy cars, you know, Accords. Primera, Galant etc... they all look the same.I then thought something a bit older, more stylish, more luxurious and just as reliable- what u gonna choose/ - a merc, £4.5k for a top class motor that turns heads makes you feel great and as reliable as you like. No contest.

16. Ian B Walker

Car:
    You'll do for me :D :D :bannana: :bannana:

17. sportyreptile

Car:
    96 W210 E36 AMG
    We aim to please.

it's just that I'm driving around like the cat that got the cream. :D

No chance to get that diamondbrite on yet, been showers all weekend, did give it a once over with Zymol car shampoo tho' - quite shiny. I can do better though, just need a completely dry day......... :rolleyes:

18. Ian B Walker

Car:
    Just try selecting "S" on the gearbox and floor it. Warning, hold on tight :D :D

19. sportyreptile

Car:
    96 W210 E36 AMG
    Yeah tried that one a few times, :D :D

the speedo needles' rate of movement is only matched by the fuel gauges. I generally just "waft" around with it set to E - but sometimes :devil: flick to S and WHOOSH.......££££££........sh*t......120mph.

Anyhow, poor old samuel is probably going green (NOT SILVER) with all this self indulgence, honestly Sam, save yer pennies and go for it.

20. OP
    OP
    samuelellis

Car:
    i could afford to buy the car

its the insurance (4 grand for 3rd party on a k reg diesel rover) that i cant stomach