Songs that are better live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have to agree with a couple of previous posts . Saw Tina Turner at the 02 a couple of years ago and she was absolutely fantastic , despite suffering from a virus that forced her to cancel her tour the following day.
Also saw the Who at Ashton Gate , Bristol in 2006 . Their rendition of Won`t get fooled again was the highlight of the show , and a much played track on my live cd recording from that night.Full marks to Zak Starkey for a great performance, and dare i say it, almost as good as Keith Moon. Looking forward to seeing them again at the 02 in December.

I remember going to see Dr Hook in the early 80's.

Worst prostate examination I've ever had.

Went to see The Corrs a few years ago at IIRC the O2, and the concert was being broadcast live on one TV channel or another, possibly a satellite channel, but the friends we went with recorded it, so we could watch the concert again.

Have to admit we were quite disappointed with the mix that was pushed out through the TV, it had been stripped of all the atmosphere.

So on that basis, even a "live" recording isn't as good as listening actually live.

One of my favourite live performances was being there for 'See Me, Feel Me' by The Who at The Oval in Sep 1971.

One of my favourite live performances was being there for 'See Me, Feel Me' by The Who at The Oval in Sep 1971.

Genesis Invisible Touch. Wembley Stadium, mid 80s.
Barry White, Portsmouth Guildhall, late 70s. (see those women go...)

Bowie on the first Ziggy Stardust tour. (small venues and colleges)

Mind and ear-blowing in equal measure.

When the album came out a couple of months later, it was a bloody embarrassment. Thin, tinny sound, watered-down guitars and a complete absence of the excitement of the live show.

Tony Visconti (the producer) should hang his head in shame....ruined the memory of the performance for thousands of fans...

I was blown away by The Who at Lancaster University in 1969. How four guys could make such a huge noise was unreal.

Little Feat's gig at The town & Country Club in Kentish Town in the late 80's was unforgettable - 5 encores and still the audience refused to go home - even after the house lights went up. Think back to 1976 and compare what Pink Floyd were doing then - these good ol' boys could play the pants off them and didn't need no fancy light show neither!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzqxxGpSlc8

Have seen Jon Cleary a few times now, but his performance at The Band on The Wall in Manchester a couple of months ago was outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hBtH2WNa1s

Anything by Cream, there are some great recordings, but live is something else.

Special mention has to go to the BBC for the various artists recreating the
Beatle's album Please Please Me live, Beverly Knight doing twist and shout is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom