Sonos sound systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone familiar with Sonos advise please?

A mate has a "wired"Sonos Gen. 1 system with all the units in a "media" cupboard with the router and CAT5 switch.
He then has the speaker wires ran to the rooms and garage (old installation).

System works well throughout the house and he can control with phone / tablet when within range.

He has just built a summer house but can't get Wifi out there so can't sit in the summer house and switch music in the garge on. Wants to do this from his iPhone or tablet.

He has CAT5 to the garage so I tried a Wifi access point (random Wifi name) in the garage but this did not work.

I think maybe the Sonos system creates it's own Wifi network but I'm not sure if the phone or tablet still needs a connection to the Wifi router back in the cupboard.

My thoughts were to either:

1. Name the Wifi Access Point in the garage exactly the same as the main one and stick this on a different channel or

2. Add a Sonos speaker or bridge into the garage (will this allow the Wifi to work)?

Hoping somone familiar has some experience please.

SONOS can be configured either to use its own mesh network (with a Bridge or Boost wire connected to the network), or can connect directly to a wireless network. Which connection type is the system using?

The controller app simply needs to connect to the same network that the SONOS system is part of (whether that’s direct or via a SONOS mesh), so it’s not immediately obvious why the controller can’t see the SONOS devices via the Wi-Fi extender. Logically, the network SSID shouldn’t make any difference as that is simply the “key to the door” of the network

There are some hardware compatibility issues, and its worth checking the SONOS support pages: Sonos Support

Think it uses it's own mesh network.

Checked the devices and they show as WM:0 which indicates wired network.
When I check inside I can see Sonos channels 1,6,9 on WiFi.

Checked the devices and they show as WM:0 which indicates wired network.
WM:0 does indeed indicate that it's using SONOS Mesh, so at least one device is connected by cable to the router.

From the Help>About my SONOS System... page that you found the connection type you can identify the ip address of each of the SONOS components. When you connect the iPhone or Tablet to the Wi-Fi extender, is it on the same subnet as the SONOS components? If not, then that would explain why the Controller app can't see the SONOS components.

WM:0 does indeed indicate that it's using SONOS Mesh, so at least one device is connected by cable to the router.

From the Help>About my SONOS System... page that you found the connection type you can identify the ip address of each of the SONOS components. When you connect the iPhone or Tablet to the Wi-Fi extender, is it on the same subnet as the SONOS components? If not, then that would explain why the Controller app can't see the SONOS components.

Thanks, will check next week when I'm back at my mates.

There are definitely issues when using some Wi-Fi extenders and SONOS equipment so it's possible that it's a hardware issue anyway. FWIW I've always found SONOS Support very responsive and very helpful, so if you're still having problems it's worth raising a support case with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom