Sony MEX-1HD Head Unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
Does anyone out there have one of these jobs? As part of my war on car clutter, I want to eliminate cd's from the car and it seems I can get rid of all mine by buying one of these. Also, is it possible to program in a list of tracks to be played in a particular order? I have looked on the sony website but can't see if this is possible or not? All help / opinions gratefully received.
Rgds
Les

Here's a quote from a Amazon Customer Review
The best things I like about it is that you can create folders and have shortcuts from your whole collection. IE you can create your own compilations of your best songs (Romance, Dance, Feel Good, summer etc...) It jumps to songs instantaneously!
£1000 is alot of money though !! OK its got a 16gb hard drive - But would you really use all that ?
How about somethin like this from Clarion Click Me It only has 128mb internal memory but claims enough for 6 cd's worth of music in WMA files. Clarion has a far greater reputation when it comes to Car Hi-Fi than what Sony does. Only £280 as well ;)

...best price I saw was £730, but I hear what you say about Clarion's reputation and will check them out. 6 cd's seems a tad small (I normally have 30 ish in the car at any time :eek: ). However, my other half is Russian and likes listening to Russian Music (more cds) and little William :rolleyes: ... I have to do SOMETHING as cd's often don't find their way back into their proper boxes :crazy: ...

Ta

Les

Aletank said:
....snip.... Clarion has a far greater reputation when it comes to Car Hi-Fi than what Sony does.....

That's down to perception, Clarion has more OEM deals in place than Sony so you see them fitted to more standard cars. Look round the sound off and Car HiFi events and see how many Clarion products you see, the popular stuff tends to be Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony etc.

Why not look at something like the Pioneer hard drive, (cartridges that can be filled from a PC and slot into an autochanger like box in the boot) or the 'Phatnoise' which is a similar boot mounted 'large capacity - card reader'.

Just picked up a brand new phatnoise with 20GB cartridge and USB-2 caddy for £380 from ebay.

Craig

...Thanks, will look at pioneer and "phatnoise" - seems interesting but the name is awful (I hate stuff where they change the letters to make it more "cool").
Rgds
Les

phatnoise - nice but won't work with my existing head unit - so that's out then.

...my situation is actually a little difficult as I have not only been looking at the music side, but also at a/v and satnav. The trouble is, it is very difficult to find something that meets all my criteria...

1 Eliminate all cd's from the car.
2 Satnav with 5-7" removeable screen mounted on the dash close to field of vision.
3 Satnav map software to be from Navteq (the best maps).
4 I only have one slot in the dash and the boot to put things in.

I have ordered some brochures from various companies and will let you know how it progresses.

Cheers
Les

Get an mstation/neo jukebox or similiar, i just sold my 20GB one for £120 and just couldnt fault it, apart from now i have a 80GB full PC in the car instead.

Just goes into an aux in on any h/u...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom