Sony Playstation 3 YLOD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dizwen

Car
C32 AMG
Well after just fifteen months my PS3 has the fatal YLOD (Yellow Light Of Death) Got a game disc stuck in the damn thing and Love film have just sent the next Blu ray film through, great.

Rang Sony who offered me a re-conditioned model for £131. Politely told the lass on the phone that was not acceptable as white goods should last at least 6-7 years, a reasonable ammount of time as per Sale of Goods act 1979. I got the PS3 from Sony so my arguement is with them. There records state I got the PS3 in April last year, so they have the history of the console but they won't budge.

Yet again a big company sticks two fingers up to it's customers after less than eighteen months, thinking we don't know our rights as consumers.

Looks like I'm off to small claims court for the cost of a repair...

Yes take them to court. I bought a media player (mp3) and it died outside warranty - quoted sale of goods act and got instant refund.. just carry on the fight

Looks like I'm off to small claims court for the cost of a repair...

As a matterr of interest, did you get the repair done, and how much did it cost and did it last?

Could you keep me posted on how you get on Dizen. Im having a similar issue with my PS3 40gb. I bought it in 08 to be ready for the release of GT5 and have hardly played on it apart from the occasional go on Tony Hawk and Grand Theft Auto so the thing is like new but wont work, the lights not even coming on. Phoned Sony and all they've offered me is a re-con one which im not happy about one bit as a re-con gives me the impression its been heavily used.

Good luck if you take it to small claims

Last edited:
My old 60 GB PS3 was showing signs of failure, it would freeze randomly during games, and the fan was constantly running at high speed. I tried everything to resolve these issues, in the end I just traded it in for a new PS3 Slim.

[FONT=&quot]from the site

We now repair this solder related fault by physically re-melting and re-flowing the solder on your games console motherboard. This ensures a 98.5% permanent fix on your system. Older methods had a fix rate of around 75%-80% with a percentage failing again within the 1st year after repair completed.[/FONT]

I just traded in my old PS3 whilst it was working, because I felt it was only a matter of time when it would get the YLOD.

I bought a YLOD fix kit off ebay for £30 delivered. It arrived today, and after 1 1/2 hours of tinkering with a 300C heat gun and a bottle of flux, the thing is working again.

I don't know how many hours this will last for but if it lasts another year it was worth it. The PS3 is 3 1/2 years old and there was almost no dust inside it. I have now placed it in a better spot for ventilation and am getting an extra cooling fan.

Its worth noting that most of the repairers will not give any sort of warranty with this sort of repair, so I an interested to know how long the fix might last.

I have already replaced the Blu-Ray drive so what will break next?

I bought a YLOD fix kit off ebay for £30 delivered. It arrived today, and after 1 1/2 hours of tinkering with a 300C heat gun and a bottle of flux, the thing is working again.

I don't know how many hours this will last for but if it lasts another year it was worth it. The PS3 is 3 1/2 years old and there was almost no dust inside it. I have now placed it in a better spot for ventilation and am getting an extra cooling fan.

Its worth noting that most of the repairers will not give any sort of warranty with this sort of repair, so I an interested to know how long the fix might last.

I have already replaced the Blu-Ray drive so what will break next?

The fix will only last a couple of months.

Last edited:

the site i mentioned before will give you a 6 month warranty on a YLOD repair.

Does this YLOD affect all Ps3s or only older / certain models?

it affects all ps3 machines crockers.

it's been rare up to now, but sadly becoming a little more common as the machines are getting older.

I don't personally know anyone who's had YLOD ... don't think it's that common (unlike the XBox problems). I got my PS3 on UK launch day so it's nearly 4 years old and - touch wood - has never missed a beat.

My PS2 is 10 years old and also still going strong (the kids got that when I bought the PS3)!

Last edited:
Just have a read on the Playstation forums, there are loads of threads about YLOD.

Just have a read on the Playstation forums, there are loads of threads about YLOD.

Sure but 50 million PS3s sold to date ... so a very, very small percentage of them are actually affected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom