Sooty exhaust pipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 Proper gearbox
I thought exhaust tailpipes were supposed to be a nice grey / brown colour inside. Mine is rather sooty (1997 C180 72000 Miles) No evidence of smoke though. Please check tailpipes and let me know what you find.

Cheers.

both my cars have slightly sooty exhaust tail pipes- i think this is normal as some hydrocarbons would get past the catalytic converter

I believe that in the perfect scenario, your tailpipe will end up with a greyish colour to it.

However, I think the colour of the pipe inicates whether your car is running rich or lean, and will therefore depend on the type of journey you most often do. If you regularly do short journeys, then I would guess you will end up with black pipes. A well tuned engine on regular long trips, I think should leave a grey colour.

Mine is soot city, but then 90% of my journeys are 7 miles of town driving. 14 miles a day to and from work.

S.

My understanding, is that if you are using unleaded petrol, that is normal, and you will never get the grey colour, that we used to see with leaded.

Regards

Col Tigwell Downunder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom