Sophis Antivirus - pop up alert makes no sense

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mapleleaf

MB Enthusiast
Car
2022 GLC 300 estate- replaced 2018 Gle 43 AMG Night - replaced previous 2015 E63 AMG
has anyone come across this at all or can anyone advise what it might mean?

One of my staff at work emailed me with the following ..

"Every time I open Outlook or apply an attachment onto e-mail the following pop up appears from Sophos Anti Virus –

File”C:\DocumentsandSettings\Craig\LocalSettings\lfgtx.tm”belongstovirus/spywareMal/Junde-A. "

So I naturally went onto Sophos website to see what Junde-A was all about - but it doesnt seem to exist. tried symantic and McAffee site all to no avail. Tried google , no meaningful results - same results when I searched on the file name ending in .tm.

Its a bit bizarre. I'll see if the file name in question actually exists on the hard drive tomorrow

I've emailed Sophos and await their reply but would appreciate any info from anyone here. thanks.

Last edited:
Hmm, I heard on the radio today that there are a lot of these "pop ups" appearing, they are probably malicious and the "software" that you pay for and download from their web sites are not anti virus progs. Your payment details could well be sold on etc and your operating system is corrupt. You now need to remove this pop up and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.
By the way, I use AVG anti virus, HTH

thanks... I perhaps should have clarified that my office network is protected with a genuine suite of Sophos antivirus and spam products. The central admin of sophos AV sits on our exchange server and I have just checked that remotely and it does show up with a malware virus called Junde-A detected. What i find even more odd now is that this virus isnt defined on Sophos's website yet it appears as a virus alert not just on the pc concerned but centrally as well.

Try reinstalling Sophos from scratch to see if the software is corrupt.

I'd also run Malwarebytes on the PC to see if its infected (Sophos may be infected).

Malwarebytes is the way to go. It actually works.....:eek:

And its free....:thumb:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

My last employer used Sophos AV software - but it doesn't protect fully against malware. Despite it costing a small fortune to maintain.
The IT guys used Malwarebytes as well (unofficially) to clean PC's as and when it became necessary. Which was fairly often.

Last edited:
Malwarebytes is the way to go. It actually works.....:eek:

And its free....:thumb:

Malwarebytes.org

But the free version doesnt have any real time virus protection.

Besides, it isnt an enterprise solution that can be controlled at a corporate level.

Dont get me wrong, Its a good product at cleaning viruses but only in addition to something else.

But the free version doesnt have any real time virus protection.

Besides, it isnt an enterprise solution that can be controlled at a corporate level.

Dont get me wrong, Its a good product at cleaning viruses but only in addition to something else.

All totally true............

However it was the only application that managed to clean many PC's at work where a few PC ignorant people had unwittingly downloaded "dodgy" applications with nasties attached.
I scan my home PC about once a week with it. 49 times out of 50 its clean. Very occasionally it picks up a trace or two of a nasty and quarantines it for me to delete later.
Bearing in mind its a freebie, its fantastic.:thumb:

thanks guys

. sophos came back to me apologising for the junde-A definition not being on ther web site but it had apparantly appeared only earlier the day i reported it - turns out that the malware was a re- incarnaton of something that was already protected by sophos. Anyway I managed to get rid of it and the pc is fine now. I'll def try out malwarebytes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom