SORN Catch 22

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I need to sell the old E55. The tax runs out at the end of the month, by when it should be gone (it will be on eBay within a few days). It stands on my driveway at the moment; from the tax point of view it will be legal to drive it on the road until the end of August, so I want to retain the tax, but it has not been insured since August 1st, when the insurance expired.

Under the new continuous insurance requirement, it has to be either insured or on a SORN. So, I rang DVLA. If I declare SORN by post, the tax is automatically cancelled... If I do so online, the SORN will start from the date of expiry of the tax.

The reminder notice, of course, has not been updated, and makes no mention of the need for insurance as well as road tax as an alternative to a SORN.

I will arrange short-term insurance if needed for test drives if necessary, but I cannot keep it taxed without insuring it, even though it is kept off the road and I have no need of insurance at the moment. Who came up with this wizard wheeze to force me either to make a present to the government of the unexpired tax, or to make a present to the insurance company of the premium for insurance that I neither want nor need? :wallbash:

Apparently, DVLA will write to me after about two weeks to remind me that it is neither insured nor on a SORN. Does anyone know, firstly how soon after that they will write to me imposing a fine, and secondly, will the sale of the car before the latter date mean I will not be fined after the event?

E55(nowK)BOF

Last edited:
Transfered my wifes insurance in may, to her "new" to us car. Forgot to inform dvla or surrender the ved disc ( disabled , so free anyway). Car has been sat on our drive waiting for me to fix ABS fault , and then sell it. Received a letter on saturday from MID (Motor Insurance Database ) informing us we need to declare SORN to avoid a penalty, so you will hopefully be able to sell your car and send in reg documents before getting any warning/penalty.

My understanding is that you get the 'friendly reminder' letter after one month , and a penalty if the situation is not corrected after a further month .

At least you no longer have to renew SORN on an annual basis .

I once got caught out after buying a car already on SORN and not realising I had to make a fresh declaration as the new owner :( Bitten once but now wise to that one .

If you insure your car today and then sell it within 14 days, you can cancel the policy for full refund under 'cooling off' period, assuming you will have no claims over the next 14 days. So this is practically free 14 days insurance, and MID won't be involved.

If you've changed insurance over or started a new policy for the E55K, could you not add the S210 E55 to your existing policy as a 'temporary additional vehicle'.

Might be cheaper than a fine, and easier for prospective purchasers to view/test drive etc (you or them).

Obviously peace of mind for you, a £2k car can still be stolen/catch fire/be vandalised or whatever.

Even two weeks should do it - takes you toward the end of the month, and that way if you have to surrender the tax disc at least you're only losing a week rather than most of a month's worth :thumb:

Sold, to a forum member, who will collect the car next Sunday. I've yet to receive the 'friendly' letter, and if Pontoneer is correct, it should be all done and dusted before the system gets round to sending me the 'unfriendly' letter. I hope so.

Apropos DVLA, I rang them the other day asking about the V5C for the new car, and got through in about two minutes, much to my surprise.

I bought the car on 3 July, and DVLA had no record of the change yet, so I sent off the request. In the meantime, I've incurred a fine for not paying the Congestion Charge ten days ago (absent-mindedness), so if the automated system has already done its stuff, the previous owner will be in for a surprise. No doubt it will catch up with me eventually.

In the meantime, I've incurred a fine for not paying the Congestion Charge ten days ago (absent-mindedness), so if the automated system has already done its stuff, the previous owner will be in for a surprise. No doubt it will catch up with me eventually.

It might be a good idea to warn the previous owner - so they don't worry when they recieve the fine :thumb:

The previous owner was a dealer, and he only had it for a few days. The REAL previous owner I cannot contact until I receive the new V5C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom