SORN

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
I hope I’ve posted this in the right section, pretty sure it applies to general discussion? :dk::doh:

Anyway.... those of you who SORN your cars over winter, how does it work exactly? I know you don’t need to pay for the road tax, but do you lose your existing MOT? For example if you had MOT valid till Aug 2020 and you SORN’d your car till March, when you retax the car would your MOT still be valid?

Thanks!

MOT nothing to do with tax so if it’s MOT’d for a year and you SORN halfway through it your MOT still stands.

Couldn't be simpler.
To get a refund of tax for a remaining month you only need SORN online, takes a few minutes but is easy, a 1 minute to midnight on the last day of a month.
Te taxing online is just as easy, as long as it is insured (and the system sees it as such), and with an MOT.

I still think we are being ripped off in that there is no reason the tax when SORNed or taken out again can't be calculated daily.
And buy a 2nd hand car and often they enjoy tax from 2 sources at the same time as part months ovelap.

A friend of mine puts two of his cars on a sorn when we put them away for winter storage. Generally we put them away during the last week of October and then get them out at the start of April. In effect he gets a 5 month refund of tax duty for each of them. We do it online as mentioned above, it is very easy to do.

SORN or otherwise has no bearing on the expiry of your MOT .

Thanks all :)

Apparently there are a record number of vehicles on SORN. Possibly due to the increasing interest in classics?

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom