Sorting S/W switch problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
After there being a few threads relating to S/W switches being stuck in W I decided to play with mine.
After rocking the switch several times and feeling the box change ratios it then decided to stick in W mode.

Knowing there is a little plunger and then a switch I decided to have a look.

There's nothing dificult about this but it is a bit fiddly.

Remove the console

trim%20removal.JPG

console%20screws.JPG

Armrest screws under bottom felt.

armrest%20screws.JPG

Unbolt the gear selector

Selector.JPG

Unclip the gear linkage

gear%20linkage.JPG

Undo bolts on reverse interlock. Note position set screw.

Reverse%20lock.JPG

Unclip upper cover and push innards downwards using selector indicator unit. Park is the best selection for this procedure.

cover%20off.JPG

Lift switch unit out. Note peg that interfaces with switch unit.

switch%20out.JPG

Open selector switch case.

switch%20open.JPG

Refitting is reversal of removal.

I think someone posted that the dealers just fit a complete selector unit, parts cost about £250 + vat.
It takes about ten minutes to get apart, I actually took this apart twice so you could have the piccies. Hmm.

Last edited:
Oooooooh....

PLEASE resize those pics, I can't see them on a little 12" laptop screen at all. :(

1600 X 1200, try 640 x 480, they work much better on the forum.

Sorry about that guys. Forgot to size them all before uploading. Sorted now.

Dieselman,

I didn't go as far as taking the whole assembly apart.
I got the switch unstuck by cleaning the little operating peg between the switch and the control unit underneath(the bit that is actually doing the switching). It took about 30 minutes to do without taking the whole thing apart, just the switch with the gear indicator.

David.

Hi

Good work Dieselman, although you can get at the little plunger by removing the 1234DNRP sticker which saves a lot of dismantling, stripping it right down gets it all cleaned out and gives a better knowledge of how it all works.

Great work and you done it twice to get the photos. :bannana:

Good job dieselman I like it.Just out of interest if you had a blown bulb in the selector indicator unit,How much more work would be involved in replacing it?

pluggers said:
Good job dieselman I like it.Just out of interest if you had a blown bulb in the selector indicator unit,How much more work would be involved in replacing it?

Not much.
They're LEDs so shouldn't burn out really.

Reactions: PJH
230K said:
Hi

Good work Dieselman, although you can get at the little plunger by removing the 1234DNRP sticker which saves a lot of dismantling, stripping it right down gets it all cleaned out and gives a better knowledge of how it all works.

On mine the actual switch contacts had caught on the edge of the circuit board contact.

tks dieselman

Just to say ty for this post - has helped me fix my reversing lights - not been working for ages - now tickety boo - thanks for yr help - again:bannana: :rock:

\edit - ensure you locate the pin beside the gear linkage within the 2 plastic lugs - i didnt - all appear to be ok - drove car ok - until you try to select gear manually - wont let you - bit of a sod having to take it all apart to sort it out -
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4527&stc=1&d=1144507606

hope you dont mind me using yr photo dieselman

Last edited:
Hi Fred Raven,

I too have the reverse light problem on my 98 E240 auto and have been pointed to this forum with the help from Parrot_of_Doom.

He mentioned that I may need to replace the seal on the cable exiting the autobox in addition to the swicth selector cleaning procedures as described in this thread. Please can you advice the part number of the seal?

Charles

Had to replace the seal on the autobox myself not long ago. The seals are no longer available on their own; you need to buy the complete socket. It is around £5.00. Should not take long to change unless like mine the previous own has tried to fix a leak with silicone and the socket removal destroyed the electronic board and speed sensor!!! PM your VIN number and I will check the EPC for you this evening.

Last edited:
I still want to fix the reverse light switch problem in my 1998 e240 auto selection module and wonder if someone can kindly advice me the part number of the seal socket please. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Charles

The reverse light is nothing to do with the gearbox, it's controlled by the selector mechanism.
Please see the pictures, the switch is shown.

Hi Dieselman,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Am I right that the possible cause of the reverse light not switch-on is some contact problem with the Reverse Switch (or a broken Reverse Switch mechanism). I will need to open it up (as per your instructions) to find out if its needs a good clean or replacement part. Thanks.

Regards
Charles

I had the same problem with the reverse lights. Took it all apart as per the pics, cleaned it up and it worked.:bannana:
You'll be surprised at the amount of fluff and other rubbish that gets in there:crazy:

Sorry for a bit anti-climax here. Had a go today but stopped after a few minutes becuase of the following problems ... Help please

1) The gear knob doesn't come out (tried pull it out with a bit of force but failed)? Is it a push fit type?

2) The black cables cover on the sides of the selector unit are quite bulky and the passenger side one is actually blocking the two screws which I can't undo. Can these cover be taken out easily without damaging them.

Regards
Charles

mm how can you tell.

when switching between s / w how can you tell iff its actually working would the revs drop slightly. i cant tell iff there is any difference between the modes???:confused:

when switching between s / w how can you tell iff its actually working would the revs drop slightly. i cant tell iff there is any difference between the modes???:confused:

You wont notice like that.
Only basically changes gear change points and start off gear depending on vehicle and if kick down button pressed.

Bazzle

With the car in Park and the engine running, move the switch.
You should feel it change modes, just after you put it in each of them.
It's a bit hard to describe how it feels (a bit like a small clonk:crazy: ), but you will soon find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom