Sound proofings external french doors/juliet balcony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S60_alex

Car
'05 MB SLK 350 & '01 Volvo S60 T5
Dear all,

Exceedingly off-topic, I know, but thorough Googling has failed to yield any useful results so far.

We have a set of grey aluminium balcony doors that face onto a park - once summer arrives, some idiots usually decide to scale the park fence (it's locked at night) and make noise.

This comes into my flat very easily. I've had the seals around the patio doors replaced, but this has made little difference. I've also had quotes for laminated glass sealed units - but these were very expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience as to what could be useful? Apart from a sniper rifle.

web.jpg

Is it a council park ? If so perhaps a solicitors letter about 'Duty of care' might work.

It sounds like you should be looking at "secondary glazing".

Wall-drawing.jpg

Are there any other sound paths through the walls? Decent secondary glazing will help a lot. We used these guys recently at a property just off Trafalgar square and you'd be amazed at the difference compared with a single glazed sash window. Not particularly cheap though although they were the cheapest of three tenders.

Other than that you could try some sort of fixed shutters, either external or internal over the doors. Not pretty..

Failing that a pair of these..

Ade

Sure the sound is coming through the windows and not air bricks or other sound path?

Hearing sounds through a double glazed windows means its not acting as an efficient insulator. Both of sound and loss of warmth.
Even something as small as an open keyhole can let a fair degree of sound enter into your room.

Laminated glass wont make a gnats difference.

Laminated glass wont make a gnats difference.

It will if its in a proper sealed frame like the link I provided.

I've specified sound attenuating products on various projects.. done properly secondary glazing makes a dramatic difference.

Ade

It will if its in a proper sealed frame like the link I provided.

I've specified sound attenuating products on various projects.. done properly secondary glazing makes a dramatic difference.

Ade

What I meant was there is virtually no tangible soundproofing difference between ordinary toughened glass and laminated glass in the same door.

Gents,

Many thanks for your responses.

To answer your questions:

1. There are no other air paths around the door (I see the picture has helpfully decided to stop displaying) - I've blocked up the trickle vents and have added seals all around the door, in addition to the standard seals it has.

2. Because of the fact I've got two balcony doors directly attached to the two adjacent windows, most of the secondary glazing companies I've spoken to have not been able to come up with a sensible solution.

What I'd hoped would be possible would be some neat secondary glazing units that could be fixed directly to each opening unit.

I'll give the gents in the link above a call to hear their thoughts.

Many thanks again!

Alex

Massive thick curtains.
Even with them open so you can see out they will absorbe a lot of the sound.

What about some kind of anti-noise, reverse sound wave, noise cancellation system?

(No idea if these things really exist in practice). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom