Sound recording...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Quick question;

next weekend, the school I work for has been asked to host a intra-school jazz festival. Problem is, they want it recorded.

I have a nice high-resolution digital camera, but the microphone is worthless!

I was thinking of hooking up an iMac or an iPod to the amp/mixer, just before it gets amplified. This would, in theory, record the perfomance from the microphons without getting too much of the audience's chatting (remeber the camera is in the back of the auditorium. The stage is on the other side, across all the audience.)

Question, what program would you use to record this? I was thinking an ipod or two would be nice and easy, but I'm not sure about the quality...

Thanks,
Michele

Cubase, Wavelab, Protools - any program like that. The only problem is you'll need to record each channel seperately and then mix it down or get it right the first time and take a stereo feed from the desk.

to add to what stats007 said

soundForge, Cakewalk Music Creator - bargain of the century if you download it from the US site (drop me a PM for the method you need to use to get it from the USA server). Your sound card may even have a dedicated recorder - I think most Creative cards get Wave Recorder which is very similar to Wave Lab

The mixer should have a tape or aux output you can use for exactly this purpose - just connect it directly to your computer's line in socket.

HTH

Andy

All of which will work if everything is miked up, which is probably unlikely.

Better for this type of setup would be two mikes on stands either side of the stage where a mix of amplified plus ambient is available. Bring back to a mixer (or the mixer if two channels are spare, and mix them to monitor only) to take back to the camera.

Also take into account how much space you'll need to save the files onto - depending on how long the event is. Probably best to divide each performance up (at least) for safety sake.

Last edited:
All of which will work if everything is miked up, which is probably unlikely.

I kind of assumed it would be from Spinal's first post

Spinal said:
This would, in theory, record the perfomance from the microphons

How well it is miked up of course is a different matter but unless it gets either complicated or expensive then a couple of microphones positioned either side of the stage at a school concert are only going give mediocre results, pick up kids talking or get knocked over :)

Andy

The easy option.............

I would be surprised if your camera hasnt got an auxiliary mic input - and probably stereo. Why not borrow a decent stereo mike from somebody - or buy one - and run an extension lead between the camera and the mike on the stage.

The easy option.............

I would be surprised if your camera hasnt got an auxiliary mic input - and probably stereo. Why not borrow a decent stereo mike from somebody - or buy one - and run an extension lead between the camera and the mike on the stage.

well it would have been except

Spinal said:
(remeber the camera is in the back of the auditorium. The stage is on the other side, across all the audience.)

Now if he had a radio mic that would be different but as I said in my previous post, things could start getting expensive :)

Andy

IHow well it is miked up of course is a different matter but unless it gets either complicated or expensive then a couple of microphones positioned either side of the stage at a school concert are only going give mediocre results, pick up kids talking or get knocked over :)

Andy

Not really - I do this at two schools every year (two kids) and it's very simple and effective. Couple of cardiod mics manage it fine - not how I would do a pro gig, but worked fine for the past 3/4 years with no complaints.

It may well work just about adequately if you have a mixer, a couple of decent mikes and a couple of stands

The audio from those mics won't be wanted in the main PA mix as it will be too "dirty" if they are miking up individual instruments or small groups of them so they would either require a seperate bus with it's own monitor out on the main mixer or a second mixer

Now my guess from the original post was that Spinal doesn't have these, hence my comment about it getting expensive"

We need more info about what gear you have at your disposal :D

Andy

Last edited:
Ok, please bare with me - I'm not an expert about these things! From what I've understood, there are:
- 4 "roof" mics, hanging from the stage-rafters. front-left/right, rear-left/right
- 3 "stand" mics at the front of the stage
- mics to the "main" intruments, whatever those may be. My guess is the drums, soloists and any guitars.

The mixer is some god-forsaken thing designed for octopusses! It has more buttons, knobs and ports than the server racks! I'm planning on spending a few intimate hours there tomorrow configuring it - I'm going to try to get each mic on a different input and get 2 outputs from it...

We do have 2 wireless mics, but these will be used by the presenters and I'm trying to cut that out from the recording!

Michele

p.s. I'll get some info on the mixer - maybe I can find a manual online!
p.p.s. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I have a site licence for soundforge; I'll need to look through my paperwork...

use audacity if youre stuck...its free.

However if youre running a high def cam depending on model I would run an audio cable into it. I appreciate certain models dont have input ie the new canon hv10 doesnt.
If not think about either connecting a laptop / PC direct to the mixing deck; if thats not possible then a midi disk will do an excellent job. The desk will have a tape out function.

Having done this in the past you will need a soundcheck.

Remember that if recording it on media other than the camera you'll have to sync it back up later in your NLE software. I use a CD recorder for doing this every week for our church www.newlifehull.org which videos every service too - the video is edited in Premiere Pro and the audio re-sync'd from the CD (sound is my thing - I am that octopus!)

Personally I'd run it from the mixer into a PC using audacity or audition as I know I'd get the mix right first time, sometimes you can be surprised
how good the live mix can be, depending on the live engineer. If you can get a stereo audio mix from mics near a sweet spot (usually near the sound desk) that may help you too - your local pro audio hire shop might hire you a location recorder fo that (assuming money is being spent!)

When we make live albums we multitrack everything to either cubase, protools or logic - then spend months editing, overdubbing and remixing to get the final product....

Unless you're looking to sell the finished product I'd suggest you just take a stereo feed from the desk and record whatever is being sent through the PA - or if you know how then send a more 'balanced' feed to an aux channel usually reserved for effects etc. You seem to have more than enough mics to get a good sound.

Remember that if recording it on media other than the camera you'll have to sync it back up later in your NLE software. I use a CD recorder for doing this every week for our church www.newlifehull.org which videos every service too - the video is edited in Premiere Pro and the audio re-sync'd from the CD (sound is my thing - I am that octopus!)

Personally I'd run it from the mixer into a PC using audacity or audition as I know I'd get the mix right first time, sometimes you can be surprised
how good the live mix can be, depending on the live engineer. If you can get a stereo audio mix from mics near a sweet spot (usually near the sound desk) that may help you too - your local pro audio hire shop might hire you a location recorder fo that (assuming money is being spent!)

When we make live albums we multitrack everything to either cubase, protools or logic - then spend months editing, overdubbing and remixing to get the final product....

You just hit a nerve! I KNOW we have logic - I spent hours installing it (the site-licence system they use is HORRIBLE! Each workstation needs a different key!)

I'm thinking maybe I can record the live-mix on a computer, as well as some of the live feeds. I can then hand everything over to the music teacher and ask him to play with that until hes happy with the result :p

I'll go and have a chat with the mixer, see if I can sort anything out!

Thanks again,
Michele

EDIT:
Ok, this is the equipment at my disposal:
-Sony XM2 camera
-multiple EOS digitals for stills
-multiple mini-dv home-user cameras

-1 allen & heath GL2200 mixer
- multiple mics (I believe the mixer supports up to 24 inputs)
-few odds and ends

I've managed to recruit someone to do the mixing for me, now I just need to find a manual for the mixer somewhere...

I found this:
http://www.allen-heath.com/veterans/gl2200.htm

if you look at the rear panel layout, I'm guessing I want to use the stereo return ports, right?

Last edited:
Seems like you have good coverage on the mic front - so the simplest thing to do will be to take the stereo mix straight from the desk. Not familiar with the GL2200, but think that the stereo send (the lower set of RCA connectors) would do the trick.

In fact, looking at the Front of House application diagram confirms that...

Ok, this is the equipment at my disposal:
-Sony XM2 camera
-multiple EOS digitals for stills
-multiple mini-dv home-user cameras

-1 allen & heath GL2200 mixer
- multiple mics (I believe the mixer supports up to 24 inputs)
-few odds and ends

I've managed to recruit someone to do the mixing for me, now I just need to find a manual for the mixer somewhere...

I found this:
http://www.allen-heath.com/veterans/gl2200.htm

if you look at the rear panel layout, I'm guessing I want to use the stereo return ports, right?

GL2200 - heh, brings back memories http://www.allen-heath.com/UK/news_story.asp?view=135

You want to use the 2 track send phonos to get your stereo mix. If you've got a multitracker, or can work out how to get Logic working and have multiple inputs on the mac (we use Motu 828) the direct out at the bottom of each channel will give you that channel only, handy for balancing things out afterwards!

The desk output feed will sound awful - the drums will be too quiet and it'll be a real disappointment

Hang a crossed pair of cardioid mics over the first few rows of the audience and record it in stereo. Record either fairly low leaving headroom for peaks or use a peak limiter to stop digital clipping if you're recording digitally

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

The desk output feed will sound awful - the drums will be too quiet and it'll be a real disappointment

That all depends how much is in the mix - I have done this countless times and never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom